General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Any Surf fisherman here?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 08:05 PM
PirateFins
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Surf fisherman here?

Hey guys I'm looking for some info that someone that surf fishes can help with. I am in the process of fabing up a rod rack to mount in the trailer hitch like this one http://rodrack.com/store/product_inf...products_id=76.

What I need to know from someone that might have one of these or another type is....
1. How long are the tubes?
2. How far apart are they welded from each other?
3. How far does the reel fit down inside of the tube?

Thanks to anyone that can help.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:09 AM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll answer from just basic experience.
1. The tubes can be as long or as short as you want them to be. The ones in the link you posted look to be as long as they are just for aesthetics, they don't need to be that long. They just have to be long enough to allow the handle of the rod to slip down all of the way to the arm of the mount on the reel.

2. The tubes are placed far enough apart to keep the reels of each rig from hitting each other and to give you enough room to comfortably grab whatever rig has the fish on it without getting your hand tangled-up in the rigs next to it.

3. The rod only goes down to the arm of the mount on the reel. Some pole holders have notches cut into them so the arm of the mount slides into the holder about a 1/2" and keeps the rig from spinning in the holder.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:01 PM
FLgargoyle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We used to make the tubes out of PVC pipe. We'd cut a slot maybe 2" deep for the reel mount arm, and flare the end of it by heating it in hot oil, then jamming it down over something with an appropriate shape to flare it. PVC is a little more friendly on your gear than a metal tube would be, just my $.02. When on the road, we used to strap the poles in with bungee cords so they wouldn't bounce or fly out. It's been a looong time since I had a surf rig!

Old 08-15-2006, 03:08 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I thought that was called: "Fishing The Wake" or "Wake Fishing" ?

You're talking about lines in the water in the wake made from the boat ..correct ?

I've never heard of Surf Fishing...just "surf boarding"

Old 08-15-2006, 04:48 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,148 Likes on 2,196 Posts
Dennis, surf fishing, or surf casting are terms used by fishermen that fish off the beach. i use 12 and 15 ft. poles. my pole holders are PVC pipe, schedule 40, cut 18 inches, with a notch on top for the reel to sit in, and then a small bungee cord over the reel to hold them from jumping out.

Old 08-15-2006, 05:39 PM
scole250
Senior User
Ah, surf fishing. I'm an amateur for sure, but it's relaxing, the way I do it anyway. Wade into the warm water, cast into the surf, wait for a fish. Or my favorite late afternoon technique...cast, sit, drink. I don't catch much, but I have fun. Heading to the northern NC outer banks the week of labor day for a week of R&R.

Old 08-15-2006, 05:41 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Ah !

So it's a form of fishing for those who really aren't interested in fishing ?

I thought is was going to be a trailer hitch with fishing rods attached mounted on the back of boat

Old 08-15-2006, 06:40 PM
scole250
Senior User
Don't get me wrong. It's real fishing. It's just one activity I choose while tipping a few on the beach and I don't claim to be good at it. I just have fun. There's serious surf fishing that goes on around the Oregon inlet near Cape Hatteras. Guys have nice off road vehicles to get through dunes with big cooler racks on the front and rear bumpers and the rig holders on the very front.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:03 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Then don't go fishing without Annette (a net)

Old 08-16-2006, 07:21 AM
PirateFins
Freshman User
Thanks guys for the info.

Scole where in the OBX are you gonna be? I'll be in Salvo over Labor Day week. That is exactly where I got the idea for the rod rack. I broke one of my surf rods last year when some stuff shifted in the back of my truck. But I'm too cheap to buy one, so I'm fabbing it up. Gonna put some rubber hose on the top to protect the rods. You should try doing some fishing off of the catwalks on the Sout side of the Bonner Bridge the goes over the OI. And I do some beach driving as well to get to some good spots between Salvo and Avon, just air down the tires and flip the switch!
Have a good time with your R&R, I will.

Last edited by PirateFins; 08-16-2006 at 07:24 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:59 AM
scole250
Senior User
We've been staying up in Corolla at Whalehead beach for the past several years, but I like Salvo and that area too. I think it's the heart of the OBX. We always make trip down there.

Old 08-16-2006, 11:37 AM
PirateFins
Freshman User
Cool, we stayed up in Carova Beach 2 years ago. I loved the 8 mile beach drive just to get to the house. The wives on the other hand didn't like the drive, and you see who won based on where we are staying now. But I agree I like the Rodannthe, Waves, Salvo area. Nice and central to all of the OBX. Have a great time!

Old 08-16-2006, 02:18 PM
bcjim
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Mil1ion
I thought that was called: "Fishing The Wake" or "Wake Fishing" ?

You're talking about lines in the water in the wake made from the boat ..correct ?

I've never heard of Surf Fishing...just "surf boarding"

Im going to go out on a limb and guess that you dont live near the coast of anything greater than a puddle.

Old 08-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Well I have spent a fair amount of time around a few oceans and large puddles called lakes and water that flows by called: river & streams.

BUT,

The one thing you didn't mention was the actual boring part called: Fishing

I never did get into fishing but I do eat fish.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:21 AM
PirateFins
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Mil1ion
Well I have spent a fair amount of time around a few oceans and large puddles called lakes and water that flows by called: river & streams.

BUT,

The one thing you didn't mention was the actual boring part called: Fishing

I never did get into fishing but I do eat fish.
It's only boring when the fish stop bitting or the beer runs out, which ever comes first.

Quick Reply: Any Surf fisherman here?