1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Classic Trucks mag

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 08:19 PM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Classic Trucks mag

Got the new issue today. Looks like Mr. Fortier was paying attention a couple weeks ago...LOL "METHINKS THOU DOTH PROTEST TOO MUCH"

Old 08-10-2006, 08:35 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
I have not got mine in the mail yet "DO tell" what he has to say

Old 08-11-2006, 10:09 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
That woudl be awesome if they did listen. I havent recieved mine yet either

Old 08-11-2006, 09:15 PM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
I'll wait and let you guys read for yourselves. He was mainly lamenting being "attacked" by nameless people on the 'net. I have no real axe to grind with the guy, it was just that reply to that guy asking about front clip graft articles, where he said his IFS advertisers would be "offended" by such an article that made me say WTF?? and incessant references to advertisers in tech articles.

Old 08-12-2006, 12:16 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
raerjim,

I read it. Yeah he was singing the "poor me" asking for name and serial #. I agree I too wonder WTHey? If your budget says Volare or better yet if that is just plain what you want don't knock it. The option was there to not even publish the Q&Answer. Bob's F100 advertises their Volare equipped frame pretty much every month. Sorta kinda like biting the hand that feeds you. SO Kevin if you read this I, Donald Walker, my intent was to say hey don't knock the person's budget or desires. Shoot in some way they are helping providing your livelyhood partner. Plus there have been Volare tech articles in past Classic Truck issues.

Old 08-12-2006, 01:38 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Would it be possible for someone to post an excerpt from his column? I wouldn't mind to read it.

Old 08-14-2006, 08:47 AM
xfordman
Elder User
Just got my copy of CT. Wow, Mr. F thinks this forum is just a hangout for disgruntled, whiners to come out of the woodwork to bash him personally. (his words). Even tho he doesn't care about what we say or think, this months issue is back on tract, thats all I really care about, not him personally. I wouldn't know him if I passed him on the street.

P.S.
When a Presidential Election can be predicted by a poll of 750 people, you can bet we are not the only people that are not happy with the new direction of CT.

Old 08-14-2006, 09:10 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
can't wait to read it, you know, there really are competent, long term, creative, well credentialled builders that subscribe to this site.

Old 08-14-2006, 05:30 PM
55FordLover
Elder User
well...i read the mag and he was whining about the little stuff....let it be known...the Nats were covered okay but not like it used to be in the past....i was really looking forward to some knockout truck pics in there....was a little bit disappointed but overall the mag was okay....loved the vendor parts section for F100s....might have to save this issue for the future....

James
54 Ford F100 302/AOD
06 Ford F150 S/C 4.6/AOD
03 Mazda Tribute 4 banger/5spd (Ford's long distant cousin) :-)

Old 08-14-2006, 06:18 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got done reading the article. I'm not sure if this information he's talking about was pulled from FTE or other message board type websites. Being an editor is a thankless job. I can understand the way he feels when people bash you and talk negatively about the magazine particularly on a website. I personally thought he did a great job on the article and is opening himself to comments via email to make suggestion and/or improvement to the magazine. I've found myself reading the magazine and putting it down or in the trash several times because it was boring and nothing worthwhile to look at, yet I still subscribe to the magazine, Why? because regardless if it's full of Chevy's, Stockers, etc, I still enjoy reading the magazine and sometimes pull some good ideas off it to use on my truck. I'd be the first to admit that the magazine could be changed to better suit "my taste", but then someone else may not like it. You'll never make everyone happy and someone is always going to complain. I think the editor missed one important point. He's making websites like this sound like a "whinner's website". I don't believe that comment. We're only expressing our opinions. If I was an editor, I'd be listening to people in here and people like us who own trucks and do the work ourselves. We are the ones buying the magazines. I have a lot respect for this editor to come forth and say what he did. I give him credit, and will continue subscribing to the magazine.

Old 08-14-2006, 10:25 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
I'll give him some credit also even though he did allude to us being whiners. I don't think the article was aimed specifically at FTE as much as some of the other boards. This board seems to be a bit more reserved and polite than most of the others. Heck, you could have your kids read this board without having to worry about what they are going to see. I think that he made a good point about requesting a chance to defend himself or his ideas by making himself available via email, etc.
When last we were complaining about the mag I emailed him. I must say I got a prompt response.

The biggest gripe I have against the mag (well, besides it being mainly about bolting on advertisers parts and not good old fashioned ingenuity) is the answers to letters regarding finding parts sources. The last go round was about Dodge parts where the answer was a solid I don't know.....yup, you guessed it, there was 1 or 2 ads from Dodge suppliers in the back of the mag. This latest issue a young builder asks a question about finding a replacement bed floor for a refrigerator Ford. The answer was again "I don't know" . I was suprised as this issue was the second part of a truck bed build. There are several advertisers that offer up bed floor panels and a complete replacement steel bed floors in the magazine.

It just seems to me that if you are an enthusiast you would have an idea of where to find parts, even for those vehicles that are outside of your direct interest, at least a general idea of the sorts of things available.

I won't make a decision about the mag until its time for renewal. I have been going back and forth for the last several months. Not only about this mag but several others as well.

OK, enough ranting and raving. When I need good solid technical advice I come to this board. I can get a variety of answers and opinions in a short time as well as a good bit of heckling and humor. What more can you ask for?

Bobby

Old 08-15-2006, 01:16 AM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Wink

I purchased that magazine Rodz this month, it seems to have some good articles in it. I was suprised to see some information on converting a Flathead 6 to dual exhaust. They didn't even tell the person asking the question it would be a slap in the face of the header mfg's to include that information like Mr. F told his reader. From now on I will look through the Classic Truck Magazine in the grocery store but won't waste my money on purchasing it.

Rod 51F1

Old 08-15-2006, 05:47 AM
joe hoffman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounded to me like he needed some time to whine as well. Agree with Ed that you can't please everyone all the time and people are gonna voice there opinion if they disagree, hopefully. So I say to Mr F. , dust yourself off and move on. If you put that kind of effort into the mag instead of wranting about your critics it might be much more fun and informative to read.

Old 08-15-2006, 10:59 AM
SteV8e
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A diced-up version of a letter I sent to Fortier was printed in the September isssue of CT, which he titled: You'll Shoot Your Eye Out. Other than his retort, he has not responded to
any of my emails.

It is customary to put a thin veneer on it, but when you mention an advertiser's name 13 times in a TECH article, it is quite transparent.

I offered to write an article that explained how I restored my gauges and converted them to 12 Volts, but I don't think he has the space for an article that doesn't promote an advertiser. After I write it up, I'll post it here.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:33 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
I let my subscription lapse a month or so ago. Last week I got a phone call from a solisitor saying that if I resubscribed, my discounted price would be 89 cents an issue. I said no thanks. That's too much to pay for something that I don't get any enjoyment from. Jag