1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

MAP Sensor Testing - 1989 Ford Van - 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 07:56 PM
master link
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAP Sensor Testing - 1989 Ford Van - 5.0

Completed installation of a timing gear & chain, water pump, fuel fileter, dist. cap., wiring, and new plugs -- in trying to start up had a difficult time trying to get the engine to run. I've remove the MAP Sensor wiring -- and the engine will start, and run fairly smooth: Can someone outline the test procedure for jumping out the leads on the MAP sensor to see if my problem is the MAP sensor or MAF sensor? Thanks

Old 08-09-2006, 09:27 AM
Ian F
Elder User
Sound like it's the MAP sensor. When you unplug it, you more or less put the computer into "Safe-Mode" and it uses approximate values for the sensor readings. This should trigger a CEL as well.

I'll try to check my factory service manual tonight and see if it mentions any testing method other than plugging the CPU into a computer.

BTW, the '89 truck 5.0 doesn't have a MAF sensor.

Old 08-13-2006, 08:54 PM
master link
New User
Thanks - I located the SPOUT connector: just taped up within the wiring harness: with the SPOUT connector removed - I've been able to crank the engine - able to increase the rpm's - and the engine run smooth across the various rpm bands: As soon as I reconnect the SPOUT the engine runs rough, and irregular: Working in the tight van compartment -I'm having a tough time spotting the timing mark.

Going from running smooth (no missing, and or backfire) without the SPOUT, and then to running rough with SPOUT installed (no check engine light - code scanner is giving me a all clear with the KOEO test.

Could my problem be the Electronic Control Module? -- Can you suggest the next test steps?

Old 08-14-2006, 07:42 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by master link
Thanks - I located the SPOUT connector: just taped up within the wiring harness: with the SPOUT connector removed - I've been able to crank the engine - able to increase the rpm's - and the engine run smooth across the various rpm bands: As soon as I reconnect the SPOUT the engine runs rough, and irregular: Working in the tight van compartment -I'm having a tough time spotting the timing mark.

Going from running smooth (no missing, and or backfire) without the SPOUT, and then to running rough with SPOUT installed (no check engine light - code scanner is giving me a all clear with the KOEO test.

Could my problem be the Electronic Control Module? -- Can you suggest the next test steps?
Set your timing with a timing light with the SPOUT out at 10* BTDC.

Old 08-14-2006, 10:36 PM
master link
New User
I had turned the distributor base as far clockwise as it would go: with the SPOUT out the engine is running ok -- however I'm not able to spot my timing mark: my initial set up was with engine off - no. 1 cylinder @ tdc - rotor pointing @ no. 1 port:

To give me some adjustment with the distributor - I advanced all plug wires on the distributor one space in the clockwise direction: with engine running I now have my timing mark hitting around 10 degrees btdc with the SPOUT out - with the SPOUT in it's the timing mark is holding: engine runs smooth thru various rpm ranges:

To be able to get the number 1 plug lead back on the no. 1 marking for the distributor - is this telling me that I need to pull the distributor and rotate the distributor one gear notch clockwise, and then back the plug wire back one counter clockwise to realign no. 1 plug wire with the number 1 port on the distributor cap?

What has me puzzled is why was no. one off so when I had made all the allignments @ tdc for no 1 piston, and distributor rotor was set to no. 1 port. by having to move no. 1 wiring plug clockwise by one - with my initial setting - I guess I was firing late, and by movng the plug wire clockwise by one -- number 1 cylinder is timed to fire @ 10d btdc.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:53 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Sounds like maybe your valve timing is off a little.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:46 PM
master link
New User
I had checked by compression on a couple of cylinders prior to all the start-up attempts -- compression is good confirming crank, and cam timing for the valves: Not being able to advance the distributor any futher, and not seeing the timing mark -- I rotated the sparkplug leads clockwise to pick up the additional advance: sure enough there was my timing makr appearing close to the block pointer:

Marked the base of the distributor to maintain same alignment - pulled the distributor shaft rotated the shaft counter clockwise one tooth, and reinstalled: then rotated the plug wires counter clockwise to have proper alignment of no. 1 plug wire with the 1 on the rotor cap.: Cranked her over -- and there we are with the SPOUT plug back in & our timing mark being maintained in the area of 11 degrees advance: runs smooth thru various rpm bands: Close to have the 5.0 back on the road: Thanks for all the comments: