1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Those Bosch multi-prong spark plug thingies

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 06:48 PM
eigenvector
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those Bosch multi-prong spark plug thingies

I just wanted to add my impression of those "improved" Bosch spark plugs with the multi-electrodes.

I bought of set of 6 to replace the worn out Motocraft ones in there - thinking that the multi-electrode design would increase spark voltage. Bad idea. I ran them for 500 miles in my truck before someone here in the forum brought me to my senses. I went back to the store to get a set of the Autolite double platinums.

When I pulled the Bosch plugs the center electrode was completely worn out - not even above the level of the ceramic insulator. The electrodes and the insulator were both scorched white, clean as a whistle.

I had to gap the Autolites but at least my truck runs better now. Is Ford one of those companies that produces such good stock parts that it doesn't pay to get aftermarket brands?

Old 08-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The platinum core in the center insulator has been known to fall out, and score cylinder walls with those Bosch plugs...

Old 08-04-2006, 07:24 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Just another instance of Bosch plugs not getting it done in a Ford vehicle. Seen it here and in several other forums time and time again.

Bosch is a fine company that makes some high quality automotive products and systems, but their fancy spark plugs simply are not a good mix with Ford ignition systems, plain and simple. It should come as no surprise that virtually all Ford techs despise Bosch spark plugs.

Motorcrafts spark plugs are always recommended in a Ford, but you'll be just fine with the Autolites.

Old 08-04-2006, 08:49 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I tried those things one time, lost 3mpg immediatly, lasted 1500 miles and they went over the bank (actually just in the trash can) and autolites went back in and immediatly got my mileage back. Never again.

Old 08-04-2006, 11:02 PM
jjanssen
Freshman User
I had a set of those ibosh plugs in my 4.0 97 ranger, and after about 5,000 Km's the center electrode (and ceramic) separated and bounced around above the cylinder until it eventually was spat out the exchaust. My truck sounded like a diesel tractor. But compression survived so I got off easy.

Old 08-05-2006, 03:52 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
I hadn't bought the bosch, but paid 6 bucks a plug for split fire, what a joke, lost mpg, rough idle. Ford =motorcraft, bottom line, autolite is the same thing as motorcraft, I think ford use to own autolite didn't they ? It's hard to beat motorcraft parts, even thier filters, and oil are awesome products.

Old 08-05-2006, 01:10 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't think autolite was ever owned by Ford but I think they make OEM parts for them. There is an amazing amount of parts on our vehicles made by other companies.

Old 08-05-2006, 02:14 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Ford did own Autolite, or at least some sort of derivation of it, back in the 60's and I think even into the 70s. There is some indication of that in the info set forth on a website of a predecessor and former part of Autolite, a company called Prestolite Wire:
...In 1927, the expanding Electric Autolite Company acquired the Prestolite Battery Company and during the next 30 years the company diversified into wire and cable, aircraft batteries, spark plugs, electric motors and die castings. In 1961, the brand name "Autolite" was sold to Ford, and the company name was changed to Prestolite. In 1963 the Prestolite Company was purchased by the Eltra Corporation. In 1980, the Eltra Corporation was acquired by Allied Corporation, and in late 1984, four of the manufacturing facilities of the Prestolite Company were combined to form the Prestolite Wire Division.
See http://prestolitewire.com/pages/abou...ite_wire/2.php

With all the mergers and buyouts etc. over the years, I'm not really sure about exact dates or periods.

Currently, the Honeywell Corporation owns Autolite, and Autolite makes OEM spark plugs for Motorcraft (and hence Ford).

Last edited by Rockledge; 08-05-2006 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:44 PM
THUNDER CH1CK3N
New User
Thanks for the heads up was looking to use the platinum+4 but changed my mind for sure after reading this

Old 09-24-2006, 11:56 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Every plug that I have seen with a non-conventional electrode has been a gimmick designed to extract dollars from your wallet.

Old 09-25-2006, 01:19 AM
Eric.S
Junior User
goofy spark plugs are kinda like lures, only thing they're sure to catch is a fishermen, same can be said about these spark plugs, cept with gear heads.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:00 AM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
you do know you can take the bosch plugs back and they will give you your money back. if your not satisfied... which i wasnt when i tried them

Matt