1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

old paddywagons

Old 08-05-2006, 08:46 AM
sancochojoe
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats a truck Hollywood would probably lease for a movie

Old 08-06-2006, 09:20 AM
Boxcar2282
Junior User
Thumbs up

WOW....That is a rare piece of history there...Please restore it!...I'd sell my truck, my car, my jeep, my tools....Oops, got carried away, I'd never sell my tools, to get my hands on a Seibert ambulance...The paddywagon looks great! I'd love to see the doors and some interior shots. When it comes to the wood work you may want to contact Chuck4850 (ChucksTrucks.com), he has a Ranger MH that he had to rebuild all the window frames...The truck is mint. Good Luck with it and keep us updated with pics.

Bill

Old 08-06-2006, 11:29 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Boxcar2282
WOW....That is a rare piece of history there...Please restore it!...I'd sell my truck, my car, my jeep, my tools....Oops, got carried away, I'd never sell my tools, to get my hands on a Seibert ambulance...The paddywagon looks great! I'd love to see the doors and some interior shots. When it comes to the wood work you may want to contact Chuck4850 (ChucksTrucks.com), he has a Ranger MH that he had to rebuild all the window frames...The truck is mint. Good Luck with it and keep us updated with pics.

Bill
You're not the only one that wants to get a Seibert converted Panel. I've been wanting one ever since I became aware of their existance.

I have spoken with Chuck about them and he told me that some years ago he bought an old Seibert Army ambulance just for the rear doors. I believe that he scrapped the rest of it afterwards as it wasn't in good shape.

Ilya

Old 08-07-2006, 10:13 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Here are a few ads from the '49 Hildy's catalog:

These are for ambulances but I would assume they also made stretched vehicles for other applications too.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:41 PM
'50 PHATTY
Freshman User
Thanks for the info, the Seibert catalog gets me excited. I am definitely planning to open up the windows and doors to restore it. Just not right away, maybe a few years.

I was at a family reunion this weekend and one of my distant cousins that I don't see very often is a cop. What I didn't realize is that he is with San Gabriel. I showed him some pictures and he called his captain, he said they don't have pictures, but he will ask around for me. Small world!

Thanks again. I uploaded some pictures of the interior showing the doors and windows.

kh

Old 08-08-2006, 12:25 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
I'd sell everything truck related that I have, even my vintage model car kit collection (over 1000 kits), in order to get my hands on at least one of those Panels. I'd really love to get the last Panel conversion pictured. However, somehow I don't think that a lot of these were made or survived.

I just looked through your newly posted pictures. Thanks for doing that. You definitely have a Seibert conversion. If it were me, the first thing I do, is rip out the sheetmetal covered windows.

Hey, wanna trade? I'll trade you my '52 for yours.

Ilya

Last edited by 51PanelMan; 08-08-2006 at 12:31 AM.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:24 AM
Boxcar2282
Junior User
Talking

Those adds are AWESOME and should give Phatty a pretty good idea of what was originally in the back of his.

I did notice on the Procter in the last add the vehicle was lettered City of Middletown...Now all we have to do is figure out which state and then go to the police department there. I imagine that truck is sitting all the way in the back of their police garage, covered by an old tarp, but in near mint condition just forgotten about. The police chief will probably let it go fo $100 just to get it out of there so they have room for their D.A.R.E. car....Dare to dream

Old 08-08-2006, 10:56 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,781 Likes on 1,822 Posts
WOW! The pics are awesome. You definately have a great pice of history there. It appears to be in really great shape.

Have fun
Bobbu

Old 08-12-2006, 12:18 AM
'50 PHATTY
Freshman User
Hey, I found out a little more history about my panel. I got a reply from the SGPD. It turns out that it became part of their fleet probably sometime in the late 50's early 60's. As a paddy, it was never really used since they didn't have the need to make mass arrests or have the budget to dedicate it to transporting prisoners. The only time he knows it was used was to transport personnel to the first Watts riots in 1965.

Prior to being with the PD, it was an ambulance with the SGFD who originally purchased it. (This would explain the traces or red paint inside and under the hood, and the extra little hole in the roof.) I am trying to get info from the FD to see if they have any pictures. I still don't understand why there are round bars on the back windows, then square ones at the doors. When was it closed up?

Now I have a split personality. Am I an ambulance or a paddy? Either way it is sweet.

On a technical note, I am reminded of the old Reese's commercials. Just substitute oil and water instead of "you got your peanut butter in my chocolate". I've got water in oil and oil in water! I've heard different things about flatheads. Some say it is most likely not just a head gasket, but probably a crack either in the head or block. Some say it might be the gasket, but you have to take out the whole engine to do it. Others say just do it. I first tried the easy fix of using a stop leak (K&M(?) I was told if anything could do it that was it). Unfortunately, the problem is still there and seems to be getting worse. I am not really driving it right now, just starting it regularly to keep the inside coated with oil to try to avoid rust.

I can change the gaskets if that is the extent of it. But if it is more than changing the gaskets and machining the heads, I'd have to hire it out. I don't have the time or the facilities to rebuild an engine. What can I expect and how much should I expect to spend? At what point do I think about replacing the engine, or would that just ruin the novelty and historicity of the vehicle?

Any comments?
kh

Old 08-12-2006, 01:55 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by '50 PHATTY
Now I have a split personality. Am I an ambulance or a paddy? Either way it is sweet.
It's an ambupaddy or a paddulance.

Be careful removing the head bolts if you do it yourself. When I tried to replace the head gasket in my 239 flathead, I ended up breaking the bolts and getting them stuck at various lengths inside the block.

I'd suggest lubing up the bolts for about a week with WD40 or PB Blaster and then use an impact wrench to take them out. Don't do what I did and use a breaker bar.

Ilya

Old 08-12-2006, 09:56 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
It's an ambupaddy or a paddulance.

Be careful removing the head bolts if you do it yourself. When I tried to replace the head gasket in my 239 flathead, I ended up breaking the bolts and getting them stuck at various lengths inside the block.

I'd suggest lubing up the bolts for about a week with WD40 or PB Blaster and then use an impact wrench to take them out. Don't do what I did and use a breaker bar.

Ilya
1. I vote for "Padulance".
2. Don't waste any time with WD-40. PB Blaster is the good stuff! Just squirt some around every bolt/stud every day for about 2 weeks. Let it soak really good. Works very well.
3. I agree that the impact wrench is the way to go.

Flatheads are fairly notorious for block cracks between cylinders. I'd pull the heads and check it out. Many on here have a lot of experience with these and can give you good alternatives once you know exactly what the problem is. They can also help you to know where and how to look for the problem.