Where to look for a wiring harness--a rat ate the wires!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 07:42 PM
jolycu
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to look for a wiring harness--a rat ate the wires!

We have a 1988 [font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Ford [/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]F150[/font][/font] 4x4 with the v8 302 engine, 4 speed manual. A rat made a nest on the motor and has chewed up a lot of the wiring. It's a farm pickup and not driven on a regular basis, but it worked fine when we drove it 10 days ago. Today, it was running on only 6 cylinders or so, and that's when we discovered the rat's nest. Anyway, we are looking for a [font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]wiring [/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]harness[/font][/font] and we're hoping that some of you great folks can lead us in the right direction. I found one at Blue Oval Truck parts, but it's nearly $600 and we were hoping to find something cheaper, maybe even a used one. Can someone give me a pointer in the right direction? Thanks!

Old 09-29-2006, 09:32 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Mustangs would be similar if your just looking for ECU wiring harnesses. Try at one of thier boards, they frequently upgrade from EEC-IV to EEC-V and EEC-V to EEC-IV. Ford racing does have a harness and I imagine painless wiring will have something that will work. The last option would be to spend a day at a junk yard or buy a donar truck and pull the harness out.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:51 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,662 Likes on 1,344 Posts
I see you live in Missouri. Go to www.car-part.com. Plug in your truck and your state, and pick wiring. This will list all the junkyards near you who may have some wiring. The problem you are going to have is most wiring harness for the engine are sold with the engine. So you are going to have to find a truck where the engine is bad, and then they may sell you the harness.

If wiring does not give many hits, try a fender or something. That will at least let you know they have some trucks like yours on the yard. Better yet, you might want to pretend you are looking for 1988 302 intake manifold. This would be a clue they are tearing down an engine for parts.

Old 09-30-2006, 12:53 AM
jolycu
New User
Thanks!

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to respond. I took your advice Franklin2 and found one in Springfield, which is less than 50 miles away, and also a couple more a little farther. I'll give them a call in the morning to see what they have.

I've also been trying to find out the original part numbers but haven't had any luck. I went to the Motorcraft parts site but couldn't find anything. If I can get the OEM part numbers, I can plug them in at the Motorcraft site to see what other models use that part and maybe expand my search. I looked at Alldata.com and it says it shows OEM part numbers, but on the demo I looked at, I couldn't find them. I am hesitant to pay $25 for a subscription if it doesn't have the info I need.

I have one more question, then I'll quit for the night. If the wires from the ECC-IV module were chewed through, would the truck start at all? It still runs (my husband drove it to the station about 15 miles away without problem) but it's not firing on all cylinders. There are also what appears to be some sort of vacuum lines that are chewed through, but all the spark plug wires appear to be okay. Really, it's a wonder it even runs with all the wires and lines that have been chewed on!

Thanks again for your responses!

Old 09-30-2006, 08:33 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 225 Likes on 176 Posts
I have run into this problem with my trucks and I have always been able to take some wire and butt connectors and repair the areas.
The only time I would think about replacing the loom is if there was a fire and all the wiring was burned up.

Old 09-30-2006, 12:36 PM
jolycu
New User
Good News!

The mechanic was able to really look at the damage this morning and says he can repair it! Woo-hoo! Thanks everyone!