1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Newb Needs Help Asap

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 05:44 AM
MATT1971
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newb Needs Help Asap

I've been looking to buy a F150 for about a week (running out of time) and came across one I really like. It's a 1999 F150 XLT 5.4L 4X4 Supercab short box with tow pkg which appears to be in good condition ie: clean in and out, new tires, ball joints, etc, and is everything I am looking for so far as options and color. The problem is it has 232k KM's/144k miles and I'm worried about how much more life it has before the engine and/or trans calf. It currently is not blowing blue and seems to run well and shift properly.

I'm getting what I believe to be a good price for this year F150 with these options, $8000 CAN, (most F150's with these options of this year are selling for $10k - $13k) but is this likely to kick me in the *** in the near future and end up costing me alot more later? I realize you're not fortune tellers but just trying to weigh up my odds.

I also found a 1997 F150 XL 4.6L 4X4 Supercab short box with tow pkg and A/C with 188k KM's/117k miles for $6000 CAN (most F150's of this year are selling for $8500 - $10k). This one isn't as clean in or out and doesn't have all the options on my wish list.

I have to decide within the next couple of days which one I'm gonna take my chances on. I plan on keepin the truck one year minimum and drive approx 22k KM's/13,700 miles per year so please help asap as I can't make my mind up.

Last edited by MATT1971; 08-01-2006 at 06:01 AM.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:38 AM
xtrford
Posting Guru
Do you really need to decide in the next couple of days? There are alot of trucks out there and if you are a little bit patient, the right truck will come along eventually. It took me 3 months to find the truck I wanted and in the end I got everthing I was looking for...5.4l V8, 4x4, low km's, full load with captains chairs and the XTR package, even paint color, for the price I can afford.

But....if I was to choose from the the two trucks you listed, I would take the 99 with 5.4l. Yes it has a little more km's but it is not uncommon to see over 300k/km's on those engines and still run like a champ. Plus you will enjoy the extra 40-60 hp that it has over the 4.6l.

Last edited by xtrford; 08-01-2006 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:25 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Matt,
as mentioned above, it is all to easy to get very impatient when it comes to buying a trcuk or car. If you HAVE to choose between one of the two then you have to. If not, resign yourself to spending some time looking around. There are likely other good prospects out there.
I can't tell you which truck I would buy, but I do have an opinion.

Less important than mileage is WHAT KIND OF MILES those were, and WHAT KIND OF MAINTENANCE did the truck receive.
140,000 easy miles with proper maintenance (both engine and transmission) would be much prefered over half as many hard miles with poor or inadequate maintenance.

Once a vehicle hits high mileage, its value become more a matter of condition and maintenance as opposed to just the number of miles.

You mentioned you plan to keep the truck at least a year.
Is that like a year to 18 months, or 2 to 3 years?

Best of luck and let us know what you decide.

edit: well you asked for help deciding so here's my two cents:
I'd let condition decide.
I would do a thorough inspection:
engine oil (proper level and appearance)
coolant level and condition
transmission fluid (red? brown? burnt smelling?)
Air filter (dirty or OK?)
undercarriage (original shocks or replacements?)
Tires: worn out or just worn?
Differential - any leaks?
original plugs and wires or have they been repalced?

I'd look at everything I could think of to give me an indication of the life the truck has lived. Keeping in mind that a fresh oil change and a new air filter, and other easily addressed items, might mean stuff was done just to make the truck look better to a prospective buyer.
Be an investigator and try to read the story below the surface.
Its your money after all.
If the seller even seems a bit frustrated or discouraged that you want to do a thorough inspection, RUN from the deal.
I ALWAYS encourage a prospective buyer to dig as deep as they want. My vehicles receive excellent maintenance and I WANT a buyer to know that. Helps me justify my asking price and lets the buyer feel comfortable he is not getting the shaft.

Best of luck!

Last edited by BrianA; 08-01-2006 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Merton Leeper
Freshman User
Since your are paying Canadian dollars, the cost is probably in the ballpark on both vehicles, but I would only consider the 5.4 V-8. The miles per gallon is about the same on both and the added power the 5.4 delivers is superior to the 4.6. Actually, it is to bad you cannot deal in Denver Metro Area of Colorado. There are a huge number of F-150's available with 60k miles on them and the price is comparable to what you would pay for those high mileage 150's. If you can, it most likely would pay you to wait and find one that has lower mileage.

Whatever you do, it is your decision and we as a group are interested in what you do. Good luck on your choice. Mert

Old 08-01-2006, 11:00 AM
sglaine
Posting Legend
(MATT1971) Wecome to (FTE) For the best source in Ford Trucks and SUV's.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:09 PM
MATT1971
Junior User
I have sold my Mustang (the guy gave a deposit and is picking it up August 2/06) so I need to find something quick because I can't walk or bus to work. I could rent a car for a few days but anything more than that is just throwing away money in my opinion. I have already called and/or looked at all the trucks advertised to date and only so many new ads come out daily and of those almost none are suitable. So it's not that I'm impatient it's that I'm running out of options.

Keep your opinions and insight coming I appreciate it.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:14 PM
MATT1971
Junior User
Too complicate things a little more I just got a call back (already seen the truck but the owner was out of town) about a 1999 F250 XL 5.4L 4X4 Supercab short box (F150 body style). He says he'll sell it for $8500CAN it has only 170k Km's/105,600 miles, 1 owner, is in excellant condition and was well cared for. What makes the decision difficult is it's a bare bones model not even A/C. Granted the truck is Silver (not as hot in the sun as black, etc) and has cloth seats so the lack of A/C could be worse plus I could always tint the windows.

I plan on using the truck as a daily driver and very occaisonal(sp) light hauler (well under 2000#).

The logical part of me is saying "go with the low mileage, well cared for F250 and suck it up over the lack of options it's just more to go wrong anyway. Plus with the beefer suspension, etc, things should be more durable, especially since I won't be using it anywhere near it's limits, ever".

But the emotional side is saying "I really like A/C, etc,!"

I've also decided that the 1997 F150 with the 4.6L is out based on what everyone was posting about similiar mpg but with significantly more power out of the 5.4L. Even though the 1997 is the cheapest it is also the oldest, in the poorest cond and has the least power so forget it.

So we're down to 2 boys & girls. Which is it gonna be; the high miler F150 with all the options or the low miler F250 with no options ? Both have 4X4, 5.4L, silver, short box, grey cloth interior and they're basicly the same price. If I had to say which is in better condition I'd have to side marginally with the F250. Decisions, decisions.......help!

Old 08-01-2006, 02:38 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
Check out this thread, and while you are there take a gander at this one.

Old 08-01-2006, 03:02 PM
Merton Leeper
Freshman User
No question about it, if you only have two options then go for the higher miler with all of the options. I can not imagine having my kids in the car without air conditioning and all of the other modern options. The F-250 is heavier and will get less mileage and by the time you add air, the price will most likely be close to the other. Still, let us know what you decide. Mert

Old 08-01-2006, 03:09 PM
MATT1971
Junior User
Thanks for the links.

We use 5.4L's at work (Purolator Courier) so I am aware that they are a good motor. What I'm trying to decide is whether to go with the F150 with all the options vs the low mileage/one owner no option F250. In other words the "likelihood" of mechanical, electrical and A/C problems vs comfort.

To put the differance of mileage in perspective; I could drive the F250 for 2 years before I even got to the mileage the F150 is already at.

Yes Mert the A/C is the biggest hang up for me if the F250 had A/C I'd already be there buying it.

Last edited by MATT1971; 08-01-2006 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:49 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I vote for the 5.4 F150.