Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 7.3 E-350 No Start

Old 07-27-2006, 12:01 PM
jcwillis
New User
jcwillis is starting off with a positive reputation.
Unhappy 1999 7.3 E-350 No Start

Hi Everyone,

Van has been reliable and without problem and always starts right up until now. Two days after previous use, the van turns over easily but does not start or even try to fire.

I did try to troubleshoot by using a very, very tiny amount of starting fluid (yes, I understand this is not normally suggested with glow plug vehicles) shot into air cleaner which allowed the van to start and run for maybe a second, or less. However, the fuel pump (on frame under driver seat) seems to be working.

I have plenty of fuel in the tank. Took off engine cover and found wiring on top of tranny disconnected. Reconnected and still no start.

Is this a fuel delivery problem, or electrical? Any ideas?

Thank you in advance for your ideas / advice.
Jim

Old 07-27-2006, 12:11 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
PSNut is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
jcwillis,
Welcome to FTE!
Sounds like your CPS is gonzo. About $100 replacement part price and 20 minutes of your time.
Nut

Old 07-27-2006, 12:23 PM
nlemerise
Postmaster
nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.nlemerise has a spectacular reputation.
Welcome to FTE , jcwillis!

I think Nut has got it (CPS has gone gonzo on ya') though I would check to see that the electric fuel pump is delivering fuel. Listen when you turn the key to the ON position. If you hear it run for about 30 seconds then the pump motor still works. Then I would drain the fuel bowl (never hurts), close the drain valve, then turn the key on again and let the pump cycle once. Turn the key off and then reopen valve to see if the pump is actually delivering fuel to the fuel bowl.

Old 07-27-2006, 04:58 PM
jcwillis
New User
Thank You

Thank you for the replies. CPS would be the Camshaft Position Sensor?

Looks like (by doing a site search) it is fairly common for the CPS to implode without warning. It appears that to verify this, one watches if the tach works or not while cranking. I do not have a tach. Is there another way to verify this as the problem before putting out $100? Will this come up as a code on a scanner/code reader?

Thanks again for the help.

Jim

Old 07-27-2006, 05:47 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
PSNut is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It may or may not throw a code. It's always good to have a spare unit in your glovebox just incase. Another LINK with more info. To change the CPS: LINK
LINK to picture.
Nut

Old 07-27-2006, 11:57 PM
Kwikkordead
Post Fiend
Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
Welcome to FTE Jwillis.
Any luck on getting it started?

Old 07-28-2006, 05:32 PM
jcwillis
New User
Shopping for CPS

Hello,

Have not spent any additional time troubleshooting the van. I am shopping around for the CPS. Since I do not need the van right away, I am considering going the eBay route. So, it may be a little bit before I replace the CPS and see if that solves the problem.

Jim

Old 08-17-2006, 06:37 PM
jcwillis
New User
CPS Wires Cut

Hi,

Reason that it took so long to post was that the vehicle is at a remote location where I cannot work on it everyday.

So, I received my new CPS'es (got two via the eBay route) and gathered the necessary tools. When I was under the front of the truck I found that the wires to the CPS were cut??? It appears that the serpentine belt snapped and cut the three CPS wires. Has anyone had something like this happen to them?

Doesn't make any sense that this would be vandelism, but the belt sure broke clean and at an angle that suspiciously coincided with the sliced wiring. Anyway, I'll give another update when I repair the cut wires and change out the belt in a couple of weeks.

I should mention that the computer did not show any trouble codes. Yep, also got a new toy - the Auto X-Ray 6000 (also off eBay).

I do not like having spliced up connections, especially where the wiring is for the CPS (likely to get wet). So, I may want to replace that portion of the wiring from the CPS up to the next connector, where ever that is. Anybody have any experience in replacing that portion of wiring?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Jim

Last edited by jcwillis; 08-17-2006 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Add More Info
Old 08-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Uzumati has a good reputation on FTE.Uzumati has a good reputation on FTE.Uzumati has a good reputation on FTE.
Ford does sell the harness repair kit, you can get just the CPS connector and they come with weather tight heat shrink.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:49 PM
jcwillis
New User
It's All Good

Hello Everyone,

Connected the broken/cut wires to the CPS and the truck fired right up. Also replaced the serpentine belt. Anyway, I'll be putting the "new in package" CPS in the glove box for possible future use.

Thanks again for leading me in the right direction. Hope everyones weekend was good.

Jim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.