Sponsored by:

finally back to racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 03:53 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
finally back to racing

last night was the first time I got to race in a month and was starting to have withdrawls. but got the trans done last weekend and took it out last night, I finallly have all 3 gears again. Modified class I goofed up and got out of the track so I lost, and in Open class I redlighted on one race so ended up with third place there. The truck was running pretty good but I have got to find out how to get more traction, in first gear as soon as I take off I can't hit second fast enough as it just boils the tires, so I guess I now know what happens when you dump 800ft/lbs of torque solidly through 39.5 boggers, they don't hold.
I am not getting enough weight on the back I guess or maybe to low geared, but I don't think I have enough power to get away with high range, so maybe a second gear start guess I will have to try that next weekend. I don't want to regear this thing this year, maybe over the winter. also think I might look into moving the front axle forward a little and that might help.
The vids didn't come out very well but if I get a chance I will try to upload one or 2.

Old 07-15-2006, 10:43 PM
ramboss429
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to hear you are back up and running!

I finally got a chance to fire up my pickup again today. Took it for a lil joy ride in the 108 degree weather this evening, managed to lay a lil rubber on the hwy was about it, as its a desert here......

Old 07-15-2006, 10:56 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Rob,
Brother I hate to do this to you again, but I gotta say it. Your having traction problems????? I got two words for ya...Goodyear Superscoop. Along with the Lenco, those are something I have always wanted too. I can't justify them, cause two weeks ago in Llano, my cut boggers (which you showed me how to cut) Hooked up way beyond my expectations. But you could definatly put some SC's to the test. Anyway, I hope that thought doesn't haunt you like it does me. But that's my solution for you. But at that point I think a mud wheelie bar would be in order.

Old 07-15-2006, 11:34 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

RD, I can't run paddles in modified, they must be DOT tires, tread alterations allowed.

Old 07-16-2006, 03:58 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
I kinda figured that, but I had to say it. You KNOW that would be cool.

Old 07-16-2006, 05:22 PM
Thomsen
Elder User
Good to see ya got it up and running again. Now you need to come to sturgis and show us how it's done.

Old 07-16-2006, 05:58 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Thomsen
Good to see ya got it up and running again. Now you need to come to sturgis and show us how it's done.
Man I break enough stuff all by myself without running on a track that is build for the purpose of breaking stuff. I swear people just want me to spend all my money fixing broken parts instead of saving to finish the new engine.

Old 07-16-2006, 06:47 PM
Thomsen
Elder User
LOL, I dont think that is the purpose of the track, I think things get broken due to the madmen behind the wheel.

Old 07-16-2006, 10:19 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Originally Posted by RubberDuck
Rob,
Brother I hate to do this to you again, but I gotta say it. Your having traction problems????? I got two words for ya...Goodyear Superscoop.
Well the truth is I have been keeping my eyes open for a set of paddle tires, but finding any that are close to 39" tall are pretty tough, and I can't afford to buy a new set right now. I do have access to someone that can do recapping of tires and have also been looking for a set of tall wrinkle wall slicks to have capped with paddles. I also decided that the coilover springs I am running are too stiff so ordered some lighter ones today and hopefully have them before next weekend. Over the winter I might switch the front to coilover and move it forward a inch or two, gotta watch how far though because a lot of tracks say it can't be forward of the #1 spark plug to run in modified. I mean there are things I can do but most of them force me into open class only, and I really like having a modified class truck that competes in open, mainly cause I get to race twice as much that way.
If I can find a set of 37x13 or 38.5x11 boggers that aren't out of range I might put them on the front and drop the rear gears from teh current 4.63 to the set of 4.30 I have sitting here and that will help some too. Besides if I do that paddle tires then could be shorter and run my 35s on the front against the paddles on the back and be ok.

Old 07-18-2006, 12:45 AM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Hit up some of the ag dealers in your area and see if they have anything, i've seen a couple rail's run 10.00x20's ag tires or the tires used on the irrigation pivot's, then the lighten em' up as much as they can and run em' front and rear. The 2 rails that i've seen run that type of setup cleaned house, maybe that's something you should look into, but that would require different rims or adapters of some sort.

Have you looked into some lead weights of some sorts over the rear tires perhaps, cause i have yet to see rules about adding weights and their placement.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:38 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Awesome to hear that you're back in the saddle, thats always a great feeling after some frustrating downtime. If you don't have enough weight in the tail put the keg back there instead of in the cab with you. Should do the trick

Old 07-18-2006, 01:40 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Originally Posted by proeliator
Awesome to hear that you're back in the saddle, thats always a great feeling after some frustrating downtime. If you don't have enough weight in the tail put the keg back there instead of in the cab with you. Should do the trick
Well now I don't actually carry a keg but that does give me an idea, I could take that extra seat out of the cab, mount it on the back and then convince Ivan to come out for a race and strap him into it.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:49 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hell, bolt a bench back there and we both will

Old 07-23-2006, 12:15 PM
Flareside94
Senior User
Don't tempt Rob....then the next time I see him at Reasnor I might be stuck riding in the back instead of the cab. So he can finally show me how it "really feels."

Also....stop giving him ideas about running different tires for open! Who do you think is going to get stuck helping him put them on when I show up to *watch* the races. Haha

Glad to see its back together. I think I'll be able to make it to the races this month, Rob, but my sister might be getting back from Arizona either that day or the next day, need to ask about that. Either way!