1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

56 door latches

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 08:26 AM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool 56 door latches

My re-pop door latch on the drivers side is giving me a lot of trouble. I just returned one for a replacement and after very little use it got very stiff.

I have to close door very hard to overcome resistance of the star wheel, and when I open the door it feels like its locked and I have to pull real hard to open.

I noticed when I received the latch I could easily turn the star by hand. Now it just about takes a pare of pliers.

Any ideas?

Am I just getting bad latches?

Is there a trick to installation?

Thanks

Wayne

P.S. my latches came from mid-fifty

Old 07-11-2006, 12:52 PM
55wagon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never heard of something like that happening before, I would say take it out and check where it's binding, and maybe put a little grease in it. Good luck.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:24 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
don'e know Wayne, but keep us posted, this seems to have been a problem since '56

Old 07-11-2006, 02:32 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts
I'd guess you have the receiver on the door post adjusted too high and it is forcing the star wheel against it's pivot causing premature wear. Wipe a coat of white grease on the teeth of the receiver then close and open the door. Check the contact pattern to see if the star wheel teeth are bottoming out. If they are, lower the receiver and retest until they just clear. That should solve your problem or if it doesn't the latches may be defective after all. Do you lube the star wheel before you install the latch? Try some "no drip" oil on the pivot and white grease under it.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:30 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Thanks everyone.

AX I think you have hit the nail on the head as far as the receiver being out of adjustment. I received a similar assesment from another site I frequent.

I think that because of the doors closing hard due to breaking in new wx/stripping, I didn't notice the mis-alignment until after it had damaged the star wheel.

I,m going to remove the latch this weekend and probably replace.

Thanks for the tip on lubing, I didn,t put anything on it before install.

Last edited by B/B ford; 07-11-2006 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:51 AM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Originally Posted by AXracer
I'd guess you have the receiver on the door post adjusted too high and it is forcing the star wheel against it's pivot causing premature wear. Wipe a coat of white grease on the teeth of the receiver then close and open the door. Check the contact pattern to see if the star wheel teeth are bottoming out. If they are, lower the receiver and retest until they just clear. That should solve your problem or if it doesn't the latches may be defective after all. Do you lube the star wheel before you install the latch? Try some "no drip" oil on the pivot and white grease under it.
I removed my "bad" door latch yesterday, it is jammed up pretty good and past fixing IMO. it appears that it is bent and I would guess it was because of the above stated reason.

I re-installed my original latch and adjusted it as suggested and everything is working great! (knock on wood)

I will keep a better eye on it this time to make sure it stays in adjustment.

Thanks Wayne

Old 07-16-2006, 02:24 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wayne, what? you didn't believe me? LOL.... I was fooling with mine yesterday because my door was rattling really bad while driving. I purposely made it out of adjustment and closed the door. I had a heck of time pulling the door open. You gotta have the thing slide in easy and open easy, plus have it adjusted so the door closes even. You gotta play with it. AX has a good method which I never heard of. I changed my bolts to stainless allens and used a little blue loctite on the threads, that helps also.

Old 07-16-2006, 03:10 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Originally Posted by imlowr2
Wayne, what? you didn't believe me? LOL.... I was fooling with mine yesterday because my door was rattling really bad while driving. I purposely made it out of adjustment and closed the door. I had a heck of time pulling the door open. You gotta have the thing slide in easy and open easy, plus have it adjusted so the door closes even. You gotta play with it. AX has a good method which I never heard of. I changed my bolts to stainless allens and used a little blue loctite on the threads, that helps also.
I believed you Ed! you hit the nail right on the head. You and AX had pretty much the same response. I,m holding off on the loctite until I,m sure it is going to last.

Last edited by B/B ford; 07-16-2006 at 03:14 PM.