1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Changing Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 01:38 PM
chief96
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing Spark Plugs

I have a '98 2WD 3.0L V6 and I am planning on changing out the spark plugs. Every post I have looked at so far gives me details about the plugs with the exception of how to replace them. My concern is not to mess up when I replace the plugs at the back of the engine. Does anyone have any tips and tricks on how they did it.
Thank,
JM

Old 07-06-2006, 04:46 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What exactly do you mean "not mess up"? Do them one at a time, take your time, use anti-sieze on the threads.

On the back ones where you can't see the hole, use your fingers to get it in the hole securely. These are threads you DEFINETLY don't wanna strip out. Once it's in there good and finger tight finish tightening it down.

RP
Zach

Old 07-06-2006, 05:54 PM
JeremyJ
Junior User
just did them earlier in my vulcan. the two rear ones are some what of a pain.

the passenger side rear one i did from under the truck and reached up.

i just got the autolite platinum ones.

approaching 163,000 so thought it would be a good time to change them.

Old 07-06-2006, 06:06 PM
Alan D.
Posting Guru
You could lift the engine out, but thats really not worth it. I had mine changed when i had the engine out for other mods. i think i am running Splitfire Triple Platinum Plugs.

Old 07-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
The back plugs are not bad to change, I used plug wire pullers, a flexhead ratchet and an extension. ONLY use the Motorcraft plugs ecommended in your owners manual, don't waste your money on those BS plugs. Don't forget to put a little anti-seize on the new plugs threads and dielectric grease in the wire boots.

Old 07-09-2006, 07:16 AM
chief96
Freshman User
Thanks for the input. I an building up some points with my neighbor to give me a hand with this. I work on his computer and he helps with me my car and truck.

Old 07-09-2006, 11:35 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by chief96
Thanks for the input. I an building up some points with my neighbor to give me a hand with this. I work on his computer and he helps with me my car and truck.
That's the way to do it. A little frosty beverage never hurts, either!

RP
Zach

Old 07-09-2006, 12:15 PM
ukrkoz
New User
let me stir the beehive a little bit. all of you pundits and nothing is ever better than mopar and motorcraft products bunch ever heard of HALO plug? one and only plug that is 1. official lamborgini plug; 2. proven by none less than ontario government one year long research on their street cleaning fleet to, actually, improve power and gas mileage? 3. made by a company that is close to 100 years in business?

i want to see that on autolite or motorcraft. or, pardon me my language, bosch.

on the practical side, there's a thing called flexible spark plug socket. has flexible drive attached to socket. very good for hard to reach corners.

Old 07-09-2006, 12:48 PM
AlfredB1979
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ukrkoz
let me stir the beehive a little bit. all of you pundits and nothing is ever better than mopar and motorcraft products bunch ever heard of HALO plug? one and only plug that is 1. official lamborgini plug; 2. proven by none less than ontario government one year long research on their street cleaning fleet to, actually, improve power and gas mileage? 3. made by a company that is close to 100 years in business?

i want to see that on autolite or motorcraft. or, pardon me my language, bosch.
To me, plugs are pretty much the same, with or without labels on them...

1. Lamborghini...ehhh.

2. Tune ups are good for those kinds of improvements. But, hey, Canadian gubbermints are squeaky clean and don't take money under the table to advertise...

3. I'll give them that much for longevity. Not that I am dissing Halo, but you get the idea.

Last edited by AlfredB1979; 07-09-2006 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:14 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Try running those Halo plugs in our trucks and see what happens. Some of these trucks run horrible on other brands. That's why we back MC so much, they work great of course, they're designed for our trucks.

Lamborghinis are awesome vehicles, don't get me wrong. I like my truck better. But still, awesome vehicles.

That being said, I'd much rather be happier knowing the plug I'm running was designed for my truck by the people that made it.

Plus, is the Lambo like the new Bugatti? Can't even change the plugs yourself. On the Bugatti the engine has to be removed to remove the plugs. And the 2.3L guys complain about the intake manifold lol.

RP
Zach

Old 07-09-2006, 02:28 PM
ondgas
Freshman User
Did mine yesterday on my 02 3.0. I put Bosch platinums at $2.29 a piece. They run really good. I will say it is hard to go wrong with spark plugs. Bosch will pay for the plugs if you cant tell the difference. I have never tested them on this but it must mean that they are pretty confident in their product. I've used most of the plugs out there and the only ones I did not like were Nepon Denso.

ondgas
Runnin AMucK Motorsports

Old 07-09-2006, 02:55 PM
captchas
Originally Posted by Ken00
The back plugs are not bad to change, I used plug wire pullers, a flexhead ratchet and an extension. ONLY use the Motorcraft plugs ecommended in your owners manual, don't waste your money on those BS plugs. Don't forget to put a little anti-seize on the new plugs threads and dielectric grease in the wire boots.
hay ken !motorcraft and autolight are the very same plug.off the very same line and from the same company with just a different label and box .now spiltfire thats a big piece of wasted cash if ever a gimick they are one of them.

Old 07-12-2006, 03:26 PM
Lumpy87
Senior User
Why I don't use Bosch.

It took me awhile to figure out what the problem was(missing at low rpm). I just put them in a month ago. The miss started a week after I installed them(my first clue).

I thought I'd have my mechanic put it on the scope so I could avoid pulling the plugs unnecessarily. He said they were fine, as far as he could tell. After reading a few words of caution about Bosch here and in other automotive forums, I decided to replace them anyway. That's when I found this.

Back to motorcraft.

Last edited by Lumpy87; 07-12-2006 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:15 PM
ondgas
Freshman User
Guess What??? Its been a week and I have a miss at idle and its worse off than before. I took the original motorcrafts out at 46000 miles..I think I might take the botch, I mean bosch plugs out and plop them on the auto stores counter and tell them to give me something that works. Thanks for that Lumpy, you probable saved me a big headache.

Ondgas
Runnin AMucK Motorsports

Old 07-12-2006, 07:26 PM
91teenranger
Freshman User
I had no major problems when changing my spark plugs and wires. on my 1991 4.0. except for the back left one.. i had to get on the ground and reach under the fender well, and i scratched up my arm but everything else went smooth..

Quick Reply: Changing Spark Plugs