1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

> Engine ticking on 4.0L, have a few questions before I start.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Dave88LX
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
> Engine ticking on 4.0L, have a few questions before I start.

First off it's not my truck, but it's my neighbors. I don't know the 4.0L at all, all my experience is with pushrod V-8's, but I'm no stranger to turning a wrench, I have the mechanical ability. I just have a few questions about this engine. It's a 2000 I believe Ranger, he said it's got a 4.0L in it. Is this a regular pushrod engine, or is it an overhead cam engine? I read someone say it was an OHC...I'm hoping not because I don't have much experience with those, but, if I find out what's wrong I could still fix it.

He's got a little ticking that he wants to get fixed.

I just found this thread here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...9&page=1&pp=15

But this is what I was originally thinking:

First thing that comes to mind that's probably easiest is an exhaust leak. Is there any way to tell for sure it's the exhaust/header, short of pulling it apart and putting it back togother?

Next I would check the injectors. Unplug the power to each one, one at a time, see if the ticking goes away. If it DOES, I've narrowed it down to either that injector, or valvetrain of that cylinder. If it DOESN'T, then I move to the next step, and pull plug wires one at a time.

Now, with the injectors all plugged backin, next I would pull that plug wire. If the ticking STAYS, then I know it's the injector doing the ticking. If the noise goes away, then more than likely the problem is in the lifter/rocker arm.

Sound about accurate? I suppose I could do it backwards, pull the plug wires, but if it's a bad injector, the noise won't go away by pulling the wires, so I'd probably be better off checking the injectors first.

Are these things a roller or flat-tappet cam?

I don't think a rocker arm would tick, since they're probably just stamped steel...

Thoughts? Thanks.

Old 07-02-2006, 06:46 PM
Dave88LX
Junior User
Now, regarding all the timing work, I've pulled engines plenty of times, so that doesn't scare me. If this is an OHC engine, then there are no lifters, chances are it's the guides right?

How much will this cost in parts so I can let him know?

What's a fair price to charge him for this job, assuming it's this timing tensioner crap? I will try to eliminate the easy stuff first of course.

Thanks!

Old 07-02-2006, 06:51 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A 2000 would still be the OHV version, lucky for you, eh?

No idea in parts 'til you diagnose the problem.

The timing tensioner is fairly reliable from what I hear. I wouldn't be overly concerned with it. You seem to have enough mechanical know-how, and a good plan, to diagnose this problem.

Report back with your results and we can go from there. But your test seems quite sufficient in itself to begin with.

A little trick for diagnosing an exhaust leak or pinpointing the ticking. Get the longest screwdriver you have, put the tip on various places on the engine, and listen to the other end. You can do it on the exhaust, the valve covers, wherever necessary. It makes it easy to track down a noise for sure.

RP
Zach

Old 07-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Regarding the 4.0L., if it's the OHV version that's ticking, then you're most likely listening to worn rocker arms/pushrod tips that can sound similar to worn lifters. Delta Camshaft sells a refresh kit just for that purpose.

If it's the SOHC version, then you're probably hearing the onset of the timing chain tensioner problem.

FWIW, I thought the '00 Rangers still had the OHV version (an OHV-equipped vehicle will have an "X" as the 8th digit of the VIN).

Old 07-02-2006, 07:36 PM
Noble Lumpkin
Senior User
You sure it is not the Fuel Injectors ticking?

Old 07-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Dave88LX
Junior User
NO idea which it is yet...Good to hear it's the OHV though!

It doesn't look too easy to reach the injectors, but, I might be able to yank some stuff off the engine to unhook them. Very lucky for me it's OHV...I could work on the OHC, but, I'm a lot more knowledgeable in simple pushrod operations. I'll try to work the injectors, pull out my mech stethescope, and start probing around tomorrow then...

You wouldn't happen to have a link to that valvetrain refresh kit would you?

Old 07-02-2006, 09:59 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Look down in the lower right hand corner of this page:

http://www.deltacam.com/index.php

If it's the OHV, then THIS ARTICLE should help you with some of the upper engine removal process.

Last edited by Rockledge; 07-02-2006 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:20 PM
Dave88LX
Junior User
Thanks for that link...but that's for OHC isn't it?

Nevermind...I see it now...shaft rockers, sweet!

Thanks for the article!

Old 07-03-2006, 05:42 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
"YEAH", the 4.0 cammer motor wasn't used until 01

Old 07-03-2006, 12:47 PM
Dave88LX
Junior User
Lifters are $34.99-$36.99 EACH on this thing? Heck I've bought a performance set of lifters for a V-8 for half that price...is that price for a set of four? The guy at O'Reilly's said each, but I'd think it's a pack of four...anybody know?

Old 07-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Dave88LX
Junior User
Nevermind, determined that's for a set of 4. Nobody local has rockers, wonder if I should start tearing into it anways, I have everything else in town I might need:

Lifters
Pushrods
Valve Cover gaskets
Upper Intake gaskets
Lower Intake gaksets
3 x O-Rings

Old 07-03-2006, 01:48 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Might as well tear into it, then you'll know for sure what you need.