Kansas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Flip4ford

Colorado Trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 12:01 AM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Colorado Trip

I'll be up north on another deal (NW Colorado/Wyoming) around July 17th to the 21st. Anyone up for some Colorado wheeling before of after?

I'd like to map the area from Montezuma to Breckenridge. I'd be up for Red Cone/Radical Hill or other stuff in the area. Georgia, Glacier, or Webster. I primative camp on public land but there are FS and private campgrounds in the area or you could drive out from Denver for a day of wheeling.

Let me know.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Old 07-01-2006, 07:11 PM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
I'll be in Ohio :-( I am going to save up my vacation though... and would like to go next year.

Old 07-01-2006, 10:46 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
I've got too many irons in the fire already, plus my daughter and her family are coming to visit about then. I need to have the Bronco running for Tuttle also.

Old 07-03-2006, 12:59 PM
jjlogue3
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to go to Colorado alot when I was younger, Heck I used to live there 1mi from KS-CO line in alittle spit called Towner on 96 hwy (not really Colorado more like Kansas). We always used to go up around the Creed area. I have been on the alpine loop once but was too young to drive it, I want to go back and give ol red rider a go at it.

Jeremy

Old 07-03-2006, 02:14 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Just let me know when. I like the San Juans. I like Silverton best of the three cities. Ouray used to be really nice when CW McCall had his show going. Lake City is OK but no cell service and I like the folks a lot more in Silverton. I try to camp north of Silverton and head to town every couple of days for a shower and stop in at the Funnel Cake store. Love to watch that train come in.

Old 07-04-2006, 12:54 AM
machnegative
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jjlogue3
I used to go to Colorado alot when I was younger, Heck I used to live there 1mi from KS-CO line in alittle spit called Towner on 96 hwy (not really Colorado more like Kansas). We always used to go up around the Creed area. I have been on the alpine loop once but was too young to drive it, I want to go back and give ol red rider a go at it.

Jeremy
Wow, I'm probably one of the few people here who knows where those towns are and have even been through them. I have traveled 96 many times (my wife is from Kit Carson) and my father(rhopper) drove a delivery route through eastern Colo. for many years. I have also done plenty of work around Creede and Lake City as a septic contractor based out of Alamosa.

Jeff

Old 07-06-2006, 01:39 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
I travel 50 most of the time when I go out that way. Had to look at the map for the stuff on 96.

I called the FS and the area I want to map is open. I will most likely leave a week from today and spend the night in Denver to adjust to the altitude. Friday I'll leave Denver and head to Montezuma and map the area to Breckenridge. Saturday I will do Red Cone and Radical Hill and head for Georgia Pass. Sunday I'll drive on out and head back to Denver. Looks like I will camp in FS or private campgrounds to have a campfire as fire bans are in place.

Looks like I'll leave Denver Monday morning for the other deal.

I would like to get out that way again the last part of August and the first part of September. The San Juans would be great that time of year. And the area near St. Elmo (west of Buena Vista) is very nice also. Then out to Utah the last of September or first of October.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:05 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Well I serviced Mule and everything looks good. Heading out tomorrow sometime. Chance of thunder storms this weekend. Hope that holds off a bit.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:34 PM
fordnut1985
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man, as hot as it was in the shop today I really really really really wish I could go with you lol. Have a safe trip man!!!!!!!

Old 07-13-2006, 09:49 AM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
West bound and down!

Old 07-17-2006, 06:03 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
I'm in Craig, CO. Should meet up with Larry in an hour or so. Then north to continue the Outlaw trail. Did Red Cone and Radical Hill saturday. Mapped the area between Montazuma and Breckenridge yesterday. Won't have wireless again for a few days. Just borrowing unprotected service where I can find it. Not much chance of that for 3-5 days. Hope all is well back in KS. I'll be back next weekend to catch up.

Old 07-17-2006, 10:04 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
Glad to hear from you Jack. It sounds like you are having a good time and it is too bad you aren't here to enjoy the nice warm weather.

Old 07-19-2006, 03:47 PM
fordnut1985
Postmaster
Hope all is going well man and the weather and bugs are treating you well lol. See ya when ya get back!

Old 07-21-2006, 10:23 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
It was cool and windy (no bugs..........well ok not many). This story starts in Browns Hole (park) and ends at Hole in The Wall. Should be in January's magazine, on the news stands aroumd the 17th of November.

Old 07-22-2006, 12:14 PM
fordnut1985
Postmaster
Sound like it will be a good article!!