Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Spitting Plugs! Not the last word......but don't believe everything

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 04:29 PM
96ozarker
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spitting Plugs! Not the last word......but don't believe everything

My 2002 Excursion, 3-02 build (according to the pillar data sheet) spit a plug at about 80,000 miles. This was some 10,000 miles after the dealer changed the plugs at my request.

Let me state some facts, from my eyes, not from my brother-in-laws cousin who had a friend... 1) The old head, marked PI, had 4 threads in the bottom of the hole. There was the tapered cut, an overdrilled section and then 4 threads. The plug sits about 2 3/4 inch down into the head. 2) New head, marked PI, has 7 or 8 threads. The plug sits down at the same depth. Looks like it is threaded all the way from the taper to the firing chamber. Both of these observations were from the bottom of the head. On neither head do the plug threads protrude into the firing chamber area. 3) There does not look to be an area where carbon could build up on the plug threads and contribute to thread destruction during the removal process. 4) Due to the depth that the plug sits in the head, I am not sure one could cross thread it and still get a socket on it. But I did not physically try that process. 5) Incorrect torque is certainly possible.

I have pictures, if I knew how to get them on the site.

The dealer originaly told me no help, then he said he would contact Ford, then he called and said they would inspect it and put in an insert, then he called and said Ford was going to replace the head at thier cost. I have no idea what thought process took place, I am just glad it did. My old head and plug are to be overnighted to Ford for engineering investigation (per service manager) I would only be happier if both heads were replaced especially since the proceedure on an Excursion is to pull the motor, not raise the cab. I have just asked the service manager for that cost because now is my chance to do it while the engine is on the stand.

I went after the plug replacement based on comments posted on FTE, here and in the Excursion section. I came real close to calling the service manager a lier about the thread count and betting him $100 that there were 7 or 8 threads based on comments posted here. I have learned a lot of good things on this website and been equally mislead. Please be careful about how factual you post an opinion.

Old 06-29-2006, 05:03 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 96ozarker
I have pictures, if I knew how to get them on the site.

Please be careful about how factual you post an opinion.
First. Hover your cursor over GALLERIES on the top menu bar that extends left to right below the list of advertisers.

Then click on MANAGE / CREATE.

CREATE your album. Name is something or it won't "take". Maybe "V10 head pics".

Once you've created your album click on EDIT.

Find BROWSE or locate the pics on your hard drive (I usually open a window with them showing) then drag and drop them on the pictures of the tricked out F-150.

Once uploaded, locate FORUM CODES FOR DISPLAYING IMAGES IN FORUM POSTS. Click on it. I usually post the full-size image. Or you can just post the URL (without the [ img ] [ / img ] surrounding the URL)

Paste that URL into the message block and we'll all get to see the pics.

VERY IMPROTANT to do this as to follow through with your last statement (which I quoted). I wholeheartdly agree with that statement, BTW.

Last edited by Monsta; 06-29-2006 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:46 PM
etcetera
Senior User
Sounds about right. Your truck was probably right at the end of the 4 thread PI heads. Mine is the same deal, but a bit older, 01 with 4 thread PI heads. Good to hear Ford took care of the 1 head, now is a good time to do the other if the motor is out.

Eric

Old 06-29-2006, 09:45 PM
96ozarker
Junior User
Thanks to Monstas instructions, I have the pictures posted in a new gallery. I did go ahead and have the dealer order a second new head. The service manager thought that the thread change was made in 03 and the installation of the second head is contingent on it having the new thread count.

Monsta, I looked for your rig on the Big Island in January but....its a big island.

Old 06-29-2006, 09:56 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Good to know 96ozarker. Appreciate your comments...and the pics of the old/new heads.

This is what FTE is all about!

biz

Old 06-29-2006, 10:17 PM
captchas
great shots man. and a first for me to see the threads under cut almost like they had been over tightened and pulled clean out of the head. they stayed put for 80k then after they get changed one blows .that just smells a little fishie to me . esssp. after have been a service manager myself.

Old 06-30-2006, 01:55 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 96ozarker
Monsta, I looked for your rig on the Big Island in January but....its a big island.
You can usually find me in Waimea.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Strange that Ford would originally put such few threads on the earlier style heads.

Old 06-30-2006, 10:44 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
This is more and more interesting.... my '01's heads, original, I think, have the 7-8 threads.

Now I have to take pics...

My '01 sat on the delaer lot for 1.5 years. It would be interesting to find that my truck had the heads changed even though the OASIS report said nothing.

HOWEVER - like I have said MANY TIMES before... I have never seen CONCLUSIVE proof when the heads were updated.