Xplode sub and amp

Old 06-26-2006, 06:57 PM
STGFordCrazy04
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xplode sub and amp

what do you guys think about a Xplode 10" and a 500watt amp? I know its cheap. I know it came from wal mart. It wasnt my top choice but it was affordable. All Im looking for is some sound not an award winning bass machine.

Old 06-26-2006, 07:46 PM
FghtinIrshNvrDie
Postmaster
I'd not buy the Xplode series of subs. The amp is fine, but the subs just... suck. Maybe look at Pioneer if you're going to try the wal-mart route. I have lightining audio 10" subs that I'm very pleased with.

Ryan

Old 06-28-2006, 01:52 AM
Stick533
New User
I bought the 12" Xplodes and a 1000w amp and I have to say I'm pleased. They may not be the best on the market, but for what I wanted and my limited budget they work great.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:26 AM
LinearPower
Senior User
They are what they are, average. And, the performance will be average. While they are not high end, they still will function and perform fine as long as you use them within their design capabilties. In other words, do not run this Sony gear on the ragged edge or you will regret it. When you ask for recommendations or opinions on a forum such as this, those suggestions will be all over the place, and you will get input from people who know absolutely nothing about what they are saying, other than they heard it or read it. If you already have the gear and it fits your budget, use it wisely and be happy.

Old 06-28-2006, 10:12 AM
STGFordCrazy04
Post Fiend
thanks Linear,
thats what I was looking for.

Old 06-29-2006, 06:55 PM
Nathane
Elder User
you wont know how bad it sounds untill you listen to something better...

There's better subs/amps for that amount of money, and they look alot better...

Whats your budjet for the sub and amp? I'll relay that to a caraudio forum, and see what the techies (nerds ) know what you can do for that amount of money...

Also, dont forget the sub enclosure, from what I read, sealed is louder, but ported has better sound quality.

~Nate

Old 06-29-2006, 10:51 PM
FghtinIrshNvrDie
Postmaster
come on linear... I wasn't going to say anything when you told him that my imput was only things I've 'heard or read,' but now you're beating nathane a new one because he heard differently than you. Courtesy goes a long way.

Ryan

Old 06-30-2006, 06:12 AM
LinearPower
Senior User
I'm not going out of my way to be harsh or nasty. It's nothing personal at all. But, I believe in telling it like it is, and I think if someone is going to offer a suggestion or recommendation they should at least know a little about what they are saying. There's way too much misinformation being passed around on forums such as this. If I see something I know is blatantly wrong, even though I'm sure the post is made with good intentions, I don't feel too bad about pointing it out. In the words of Barney Fife, "Nip it in the bud". Again, nothing personal, but I'm 51 years of age with almost 35 years of experience in car audio, and I feel I can offer my knowledge to rebut bad information. And, what I said isn't something I heard that is different from what Nathane heard. It's something I know. If there is a subject I don't know about, instead of speculating, I keep my mouth shut. I guess it also kind of irked me that Nathane felt compelled to go to another forum to get info, automatically assuming no one here could give any insight to STGFordCrazy04's simple question. So, everyone I've peed off, move on and get over it. There are more important things than fretting about what some old fart from south central Ohio has to say.

Old 06-30-2006, 10:59 AM
naiku
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to have a 10" Sony sub (I think it was the P5 pentagon one) and the XM1502SX amplifier (I would still have it were it not for leaving the UK for the USA). For the price I paid I could not have been more pleased, I had my sub in a sealed box and it played well with any kind of music I ran through it (metal, rock, pop, rap etc).

On almost every car audio forum I have looked at people always say how bad the Sony stuff is, but if I was looking to buy a sub and amp again on a limited budget I would definitely give the Sony another try. Just be sure you get it set up properly in a good box and you will be very pleased.

Old 07-02-2006, 01:54 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
guys get this back on track and help this guy out... i know i hate sony too but my taste and his are way diff... thanks

Matt

Old 07-02-2006, 09:56 PM
moparmark
Junior User
1976 F150 4x4 reg cab
Kenwood kdc-mp232 deck
Infinity Kappa series 6010cs componets
Sony xplod amp xm-4060gtx
Kicker 10" comp vr
sealed box
I am completely pleased with this set up. I payed $520.00 cash installed, and It certainly will "git er done" around the campfire at night.

Old 07-04-2006, 10:15 PM
STGFordCrazy04
Post Fiend
I do have the P5 10" sub if that helps at all. Like Ive said Im not taking this truck to sound competitions. I just want some sound. Let me back up about 5 sentences. I have been working on my beat around truck now for about a year. When I started I was just going to knock some dents out fix some rust spots and put a cheap paint job on it. I bought the sub amp and cd player when I first started working on the truck and when it was still going to be a beater with a decent paint job. Somehow it took a violent shove into full restoration (see my gallery-Bessie) If I hadnt already bought the sub amp and CD player I would buy a really nice set up to match the quality of the truck. I am going to start off with what I have now and maybe upgrade when I can afford it and move what I have into my beater to replace my restored beater. Ive got too many trucks!

Old 07-05-2006, 07:36 AM
naiku
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I said already I had the P5 sub, and the XM1502SX amp. For the money I paid (and would pay again for the same set up) I was VERY pleased with the sound I got.

Get it installed and you will be pleased with it too.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:18 AM
RomerB2
Postmaster
As much as I hate Sony, for the price (and not having to drive a ways, or wait for shipping) it's worth it. Sony makes okay sounding equipment, but I do believe that for the exact amount you spend getting your Sony stuff, you could get a better deal. Another thing to remember is that the quality of your box makes all the difference here too. You could have a $40 sub in a well built box sound better than a $400 sub in a cheap box. Don't buy your box from Walmart, the stuff they have is absolute crap. If you're going to be buying a prefab box, you might want to check out Pep-Boys, the last time I was there they had some nice, sturdy built boxes.

Old 07-06-2006, 03:17 PM
STGFordCrazy04
Post Fiend
I am having a guy build me a custom box for the rear of my truck. It will be built out of oak and probably pretty sturdy. Do I need a port in the box?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Xplode sub and amp