1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Disc brake swap,now wheels don't fit.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2001, 06:51 PM
vettelvr
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I finally finished my upgrade to disc brakes and power steering on my 71 and when I tried to put the wheels back on they don't fit. They won't clear the calipers. I can get them on but they won't rotate. I did try them a couple times during the swap, so I have no idea why they won't fit now. The biggest problem is that I had them custom made in Cailfornia so I could get the depth I wanted. I am REALLY depressed, nothing has gone right since I started this project.

Has anyone else done the drum to disc swap and run into this problem?

Yvonne

Old 10-21-2001, 11:26 PM
StangMan
Senior User

I know that on Mustangs, when people go to 13" Cobra discs, they have to run at least a 16" wheel, usually 17" to make sure they clear the calipers. If you've been looking at getting new wheels, now's the time to do that upgrade.
Probably not the answer you were looking for. I don't know any magic way to shrink your calipers.
Later

Old 10-21-2001, 11:42 PM
jbhf250
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What did you swap ? Are your rims 8 lug 16"?

__JOHN__Õ¿ö
FTE Club #7
Member-
http://www.cruisin-north.com/
Santa Rosa, Calif.
72 F-250
ICQ#6030753
http://www.ford-trucks.net/users/jbhf250/
https://www.ford-trucks.com/pictorial/big/1972_f250_2.html

Old 10-22-2001, 03:09 AM
vettelvr
Junior User

John,
I swaped a 79 F-150 I-beams,radius arms,spindles,rotors w/calipers to my 71 f-100 both are 2wd. I used the rotors/calipers as cores and got new ones. My wheels are 15x8 5 lug. The lug pattern is the same and does not seem to be the problem. I cannot get them on all the way and they are so tight they won't rotate. I still have the original spare tire/rim from the truck and it is also very tight.

Yvonne

Old 10-22-2001, 09:22 AM
bsprowl
Senior User

Where are they hitting, outside circumference or between the hub and rim? I'd try stacking a few washers on the studs to space the wheel out and see if that would help. You need to see just how bad the problem is and exactly where it rubs.

If it's the inside of the rim rubbing against the caliper then you've almost got to change rims. If it's a caliper to wheel hub problem then you may be able to use a spacer to clear the caliper.

Bob
'66 7 Litre, top loader, 3.25 Traction-lock, Sidewinder Intake, SCJ Exhaust
'88 F150 LWB 4x2, XLT Lariat, 302, 5 speed, 3.08
'99 Ranger, 4x2, 3.0, 5 speed, 3.73 posi

Old 10-22-2001, 11:59 AM
weldman
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somethings got to be wrong here, as 79 f150's used 15 inch rims too right?

1978 F250 4x4 - 351M
Don't crush them, restore them!

Old 10-22-2001, 12:18 PM
BB
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 10-22-2001, 01:41 PM
429Ranger
New User

If it's not an extremely bad clearance problem, there's a fairly simple way to get the clearance you need. Take off your wheels and put several layers of masking tape on the outer surface of the caliper, then put your wheels back on. When you take them back off, you should be able to see where the pressure marks are on the masking tape. You can either take the calipers to a machine shop (recommended) or use a grinding wheel at home and grind down the caliper housing enough to clear the rim. Mustang / Maverick / Falcon folks who do disc swaps have to do this, depending on what type of wheels they want to run. If you don't take off huge amounts of metal, you're not really degrading the strength of the caliper. Usually they rub in non-critical areas anyway. Hope you get it worked out, whatever you do.

Earl

Old 10-22-2001, 07:53 PM
vettelvr
Junior User

First I would like to thank everyone for their responce.Looks like "429Ranger" had the solution. I talked to 2 different custom wheel builders in California and they both said I will have to grind off the caliper or go with a different configuration on the wheels. They could make me a new set,or take my wheel,cut the center out,reverse it back, and re-chrome it for $175 ea.Either way,I would lose some depth,and it will take 4-6 weeks to get them back. So it looks like I will be grinding.

Yvonne

Old 10-22-2001, 08:10 PM
sparky
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First I would like to thank everyone for their responce.Looks like "429Ranger" had the solution. I talked to 2 different custom wheel builders in California and they both said I will have to grind off the caliper or go with a different configuration on the wheels. They could make me a new set,or take my wheel,cut the center out,reverse it back, and re-chrome it for $175 ea.Either way,I would lose some depth,and it will take 4-6 weeks to get them back. So it looks like I will be grinding.

Yvonne

Just a little confidence builder for you, with a "grinding success story". Although it was on my Other Brand Monte Carlo
Had same problem when I put a set of Z28 wheels on it, did the tape and grinding thing and it worked perfectly. I never even had to take off very much metal, been 2 years now and not one problem with it.
Good luck. And remember grind a little at a time and check wheel fit often. You don't want to take off any more metal than is necessary.

Sparky