1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Pumping Diesel While Engine is Running???

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 12:05 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pumping Diesel While Engine is Running???

I have seen people leave there trucks running when they fill up with diesel. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to doing this? I understand that diesel is less explosive and it is less dangerous than doing it with a gas engine. Why would someone not turn off there truck when they fill up? I could see doing it on a long haul so that you don't have to shut down your truck and start it right back up. Thanks for your insight.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:23 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Could be for turbo cool down. I do it on mine although i use my remote starter and take my keys.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:07 PM
Medic 66
Posting Guru
Turbo cool down for mee too...extra keys in hand to take in to pay with me.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:57 PM
Grunt0311
Senior User
Turbo cool down, and less wear & tear on the starter, etc. Since there are no spark plugs in diesel, there is no risk of a spark causing an explosion. I just think it is bad juju to take your truck for short trips. I let it run!

Old 06-12-2006, 03:12 PM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
There is no risk of explosion. I do it for two reasons. One is to let the turbo cool down and the second is the look I get from the gassers, "Look at that idiot running his truck. He is going to blow our butts to!" Well you know what I mean. It also irritates the cashiers. Little smart butt will say, "Please shut your vehicle off while fueling." I usually answer, "WHY?" You will not believe some of the responses I get and the replies I send back. My wife ususally ducks under the dash when I start. Hey, I am ususally buying over $100.00 of fuel. I will pump it the way I like.

Old 06-12-2006, 03:22 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by adambomb
Why would someone not turn off there truck when they fill up? I could see doing it on a long haul so that you don't have to shut down your truck and start it right back up.
I think you just answered your own question. That's why I usually leave mine running, at least. Actually I'd be even more apt to leave it running if it were a short trip, or if I had just started it recently, or were going to be shutting down shortly after.

Diesel fuel has such a high flashpoint, it's just near impossible to ignite it without severe compression. And it's not like your engine is creating any sparks, so you're not going to ignite the gasser vehicles nearby or the gas nearby.

Old 06-12-2006, 03:23 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Originally Posted by pmasley
Hey, I am ususally buying over $100.00 of fuel. I will pump it the way I like.
I like your style.... amen to that!

Old 06-12-2006, 06:00 PM
Grunt0311
Senior User
I have actually been asked to leave a gas station because I refused to shut down my truck. The cashier first said that there was risk of fire. I replied no there isnt. Then she said it is federal law. I replied no it isnt. Then she said to either shut it off, or leave. I said okay. Let's just say, I can still see my marks infront of that pump everytime I pull in there. The funny thing is that I still do not shut down, and noone has said anything to me since.

Old 06-12-2006, 06:14 PM
Green_Dually
Elder User
I leave mine running all the time.I refuse to shut it off to fill up,when im there for only 5 mins.
I agree paying 100.00 bucks for fuel,ill do what I want too.

Old 06-12-2006, 06:18 PM
powrstrkn'
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

every class 8 truck on the road runs to fill up so why can't we
people can be so stupid

Old 06-12-2006, 06:52 PM
fishnfry
Freshman User
Let It Run

I let my run all the time were ever I am at. Blue the big grate dane need his A/C.

I have had 2 tickets for ( Unattened vehicle left running / keys in ignition / wheels not turned to curb ) At only ?75.00 each time.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:54 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by adambomb
I have seen people leave there trucks running when they fill up with diesel. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to doing this?
Well, so far I only read 2 valid reasons for leaving it running, turbo cool down (which I suspect most of the time they havn't been run hard enough to need) and keeping the dog cool (a very valid reason, dogs don't take that kind of heat well).

My admittedly limited education in psychology leads me to believe that the primary reason people leave their engine running when they fuel is that it gets them the attention they so desparately need (which is why most of us probably bought a big diesel truck in the first place).

At $3.15 a gallon for diesel, I shut mine off every opportunity I get (including when I fuel).

Do I need to put my flame suit on now?

Old 06-12-2006, 07:59 PM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by clux
Do I need to put my flame suit on now?
Nah - we're not like that around here!

I'd say 50/50 for me - sometimes I shut it down - sometimes I leave it running... and I can't think of a particular reason really.....

Edit: I WILL say that each of the 4 times my fuel gauge has gotten stuck at "FULL" - each time was with the truck quiet....

Old 06-12-2006, 08:16 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Originally Posted by clux
My admittedly limited education in psychology leads me to believe that the primary reason people leave their engine running when they fuel is that it gets them the attention they so desparately need (which is why most of us probably bought a big diesel truck in the first place).
You may be on to something ... I do have the biggest Superduty I could get, with straight piped exhaust, lots of LED lights, and the ability to darken the road in my wake with smoke with the twist of a dial. Guess I'm just a sucker for attention, or maybe I'm small in the pants.

edit - I was about to follow that last sentence with a "You be the judge" but had second thoughts.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Jerme
Senior User
I think more fires are started by people talking on their cell phones while pumping than leaving their truck running.

Quick Reply: Pumping Diesel While Engine is Running???