1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1950 F1 info on front end kits needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Slarsonroy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1950 F1 info on front end kits needed

Hello, my son and I just bought a 1950 Ford F1 pickup with the original flathead V8 from an old gentleman in Nebraska who owned it for 47 years. I drove it home (200 miles) and it was almost a suicide mission. Anyway, I hear there are front end kits out there for this truck that I would like some feedback on. One was from a Mustang II and the other from a Volare. Does anyone have any sources or experience installing either one? Thanks!
Scott Larson
Glenwood, Iowa

Old 05-10-2006, 03:15 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
Scott,

first...welcome to FTE. Sounds like a nice project you've got started there... at least it's a driver.. mine was trailered home !

There are several guys who've done both IFSs you mentioned on that body style here... Mine is a '53 and a little different frame (wider) but I've done both...volare first then MII after that... but that is a whole chapter in another story...

some suggestions..... go to "Motor haven" on this site (it helps support FTE)and buy a shop manual for your truck... it's invaluable... start reading Custom Truck and CustomClassic Truck magazines... lots of good tech there. Check out the search feature in this forum (on the tool bar) and look for 'ifs', 'front suspension' and also there is a very good article written from this group of gurus in the tech article section that compares all the different types that we've used...pro's and cons and some pricing and tips that will keep you from tripping over your visa bill.

suspension link

Next weekend in Knoxville, Tenn will be the largest gathering of F-1 and F-100 trucks in the known universe...this is when we all return to the mother ship for replenishment of supplies and to polish our ego's. There are litterally hundreds of trucks, vendors, owners, corndogs and bright tee shirts that will be available for your viewing and consumption... if you could swing a trip it would be well worth it in education and exercise of your visa card... you have to keep them stretched or they will be useless... here's a link to the info

http://www.f100supernationals.com/

hang around and some of hte F-1 guys will be here shortly to lead you down the path... we're all family here and enjoy helping each other... albeit it with a little playful banter and ribbing, but it's all in fun and good fellowship..

so ask away with your questions... start a gallery and post some pics of your baby.... we just l o v e pictures here... has something to do with reading comprehension levels I think...here's how to do that

gallery making

enjoy,

John

Last edited by jniolon; 05-10-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:14 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
Scott,
Welcome to the board!! Always good to have another Bonus Built truck around here.

I know what you mean when you say driving it is like a suicide mission. There is alot you can do with the original axle without having to change it out. These trucks are old and worn out, go through and replace any loose parts, spring bushings, shackle bushings, tie rods, drag link, etc, etc, etc. And get rid of those old nasty bias ply tires!!

The old front end is a good design and will serve you well, providing that all is as it should be. It will never drive like a modern vehicle (we are pretty spoiled with todays ride and handling) but if its not going to be a daily driver it might not matter too much.

I looked at options for my truck. The Mustang II looks a little weak to me ( you ever been up close to a Mustang II??? they are compact cars) I like the idea of the Volare front end but in the end I opted to freshen up my original parts as I will only be driving my truck maybe 5 to 7 days out of each month. I recently started driving my truck. I have a couple of sring hanger bushings to replace yet and I need to get some radials but overall it drives pretty good. Yes, it will try to find its own way on a rutted road (takes me back to the days of my youth and some of the terrible trucks I drove back then). Radials will be my next step

I'm sure you will get tons of opinions on the subject, if nothing else, we are always willing to tell how right each of our opinions are.

Good luck and we're glad to have you on the board
Bobby

Old 05-10-2006, 09:26 PM
JDMick
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't give up so fast on your stock suspension. Like Bobby says, most likely just about every moving part in your front end is wore out. The good news is that the parts aren't terribly expensive. The bad news is that it takes some time and probably some heavy duty heat to change out all the bushings etc. After changing everything in the front end of my old truck I would say it drives very nicely. Bonus Built has a few things here:
http://www.bonusbuilt.com/axle.html
Keep your son involved and have fun.

Old 05-11-2006, 06:57 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Slarsonroy
One was from a Mustang II and the other from a Volare. Does anyone have any sources or experience installing either one? Thanks!
Scott Larson
Glenwood, Iowa
Scott,

I went with the Volare...pictures in my gallery. I like it because it's cheap, easy to install, has disc brakes and power steering, and rides smooth. It's been done a million times, parts are readily available, and donors are available up to 1989 model years. Don't waste money rebuilding the original front end if you have any idea that you will want to make other modifications to the truck.

Vern