6.0 Intercooler Install Writeup - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 Intercooler Install Writeup

Old 05-07-2006, 11:34 PM
Post Fiend

jtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to all
6.0 Intercooler Install Writeup

I installed the 6.0 IC about a month ago, but I realized I've didn't give a very thorough writeup of how to do it. So, hopefully, this will help.

No real tricks to it. It's pretty straightforward. I used the intercooler connection tubes and hoses from BCPD, which allowed me to not have to use any adaptors. However, you can use the stock tubes, but some modification will be necessary. Here's a thread that should help with that, go to post #11.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=466349

You don't have to pull the radiator at all. Just remove the top radiator support. First you have to take off the black rubber piece that's between the grille and the radiator support. You might want to get some new plastic body pins that hold it on because you will most likely destroy the old ones when you pull them out.

Take out the 2 radiator support bolts, on the back side of the radiator support beam, near the top of the radiator. Then remove the bolts that hold the radiator support beam. I think there's 4 per side, 2 in front, 2 in back. Then lift the radiator support beam out. It's snug, and you may have to do some prying to get it out.

Once it's out, you should be able to see the intercooler that's directly under it. Remove the clamps and hoses connecting it, if you haven't done so already. Once they're free, the intercooler should just lift right out. The fit between the intercooler outlet and some of the A/C lines & radiator may be tight. I had to loosen the overflow bottle to allow the A/C lines enough room to move so I could get it out.

Installation of the new one is reverse of removal. The 6.0 IC is a tight fit, but it'll go. Getting the radiator support beam back in place was probably the toughest part of the whole thing. But, with some prying and a rubber dead blow hammer, it finally popped back into place. Put all the little pieces back together, fire up the engine to test for any big leaks, and take it for a test drive.

Hope this helps. Let me know if there are any questions.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:14 PM
Postmaster

ryaneverk2 has a great reputation on FTE.ryaneverk2 has a great reputation on FTE.ryaneverk2 has a great reputation on FTE.ryaneverk2 has a great reputation on FTE.ryaneverk2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Good writeup, JT. Saved for future reference.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:48 PM
Elder User

Lushman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks JT, I am also saving it for future reference like Ryan. How much did it lower your EGT's? I think your initial impression was around 100*?
Old 05-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Post Fiend

jtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lushman
Thanks JT, I am also saving it for future reference like Ryan. How much did it lower your EGT's? I think your initial impression was around 100*?
Yeah, but it helped most while towing and at WOT. Daily driving and driving unloaded/empty, there's not much of a benefit. But, it's when you really start to push more air through the IC that it helps.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:41 PM
Elder User

Ford Truck Racer is starting off with a positive reputation.
appreciate the writeup, hope to get my intercooler in about a week and start the install.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Posting Guru

arninetyes is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the write-up! Looks like it will be as easy as I'd hoped.

Uh, oh. Let me backtrack - as SIMPLE as I'd hoped. Often things that should be simple and easy take a long, long time.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:36 PM

cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arninetyes
Often things that should be simple and easy take a long, long time.
Oh...how I wish that wasn't true.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Post Fiend

Tenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by arninetyes
Uh, oh. Let me backtrack - as SIMPLE as I'd hoped. Often things that should be simple and easy take a long, long time.
AMEN.

BTW, nice writeup JT. You really need access to a local dyno to measure your results as you go. I bet that BTS transmission will be worth quite a bit for you when you get it.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
AMEN.

BTW, nice writeup JT. You really need access to a local dyno to measure your results as you go. I bet that BTS transmission will be worth quite a bit for you when you get it.
Thank you. I know there's a local chassis dyno around here, but I don't know if it's big enough to fit a diesel on. And, I have no idea how much they want to charge for a few dyno runs. But, I'd be curious to know how some of them are affecting HP numbers. I'd especially like to know how big of a difference it makes when I do the bigger fuel supply lines and additional fuel pump.

I'd sure like to put the truck back on the BTS dyno before I leave, once the trans is in. But, I know it's going to be a long day anyway, and since the trans is being done for free, I don't want to ask for more. But, we'll just to see how it goes I guess. I did get the torque converter in last Friday though. That thing is a beast, weighing in at 65 pounds. And, my girlfriend is thrilled that I'll have a purple part on my truck.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:53 AM
Postmaster

QwkTrip is a splendid one to beholdQwkTrip is a splendid one to beholdQwkTrip is a splendid one to beholdQwkTrip is a splendid one to beholdQwkTrip is a splendid one to beholdQwkTrip is a splendid one to behold
Digging up an old thread here, but I'm wondering what is the performance difference between 6.0L intercooler and Banks for 7.3L?
Old 02-16-2008, 08:33 AM
Senior User

alan hodges is starting off with a positive reputation.
Jeremy, Who is BCPD? I'm thinking I know them but can't place it. Thanks Alan
Old 02-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Post Fiend

PaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan hodges
This is an old thread so I will answer: BCPD is http://www.blackclouddiesel.com/
Old 02-16-2008, 01:03 PM

cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
Digging up an old thread here, but I'm wondering what is the performance difference between 6.0L intercooler and Banks for 7.3L?
The 6.0 cooler is a little bigger. It should flow a little more and it should perform a little better.....but the reality is the performance difference is minimal at best.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Postmaster

QwkTrip is a splendid one to beholdQwkTrip is a splendid one to beholdQwkTrip is a splendid one to beholdQwkTrip is a splendid one to beholdQwkTrip is a splendid one to beholdQwkTrip is a splendid one to behold
Thanks, cookie! Sounds like it comes down to cost.Appreciate the info because I've been thinking about an upgrade recently. I'm glad I found this thread.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:05 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan hodges
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
This is an old thread so I will answer: BCPD is http://www.blackclouddiesel.com/
Actually, it was a different company, Black Cloud Diesel Performance, not to be confused with Black Cloud Diesel. However, there was confusion around the name, so BCDP's name was changed to Pure Diesel Power. Garrett Shields runs the company and is a great guy to deal with. Here's his link: http://www.puredieselpower.com/