Sponsored by: DP Tuner

"Quiet" Aftermarket Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 10:36 AM
GoCamping
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Quiet" Aftermarket Exhaust?

I've been looking around for a 4" exhaust - any suggestions on something that is not obnoxious? Obviously with a diesel we put up with a certain amount of noise (which I think sounds really cool). What I'm looking for is a power gain, EGT drop, and a reasonable increase noise level (ideally a better exhaust note). Okay, I'll have to admit something - it's my wife who drives the truck more than I do.

{ pausing for the boos from the crowd }

It's b/c her commute is shorter than mine so we're trying to save $$.

So when I started talking about exhausts, she said "just not too loud." So - from the MBRP clips the 4" exhaust sounded reasonable. Any comments?

Mark

Old 05-06-2006, 11:08 AM
PSNut
Postmaster
I have the MBRP 4" and found it to be relatively quiet but louder,of course ,than stock. On my truck i had a bad in-cabin drone at mid-range(about1600-1750rpm's). When i chipped it the drone reduced a little. Since then i have tried getting rid of the drone alltogether. First i deleted the muffler and it didn't change much. Now i have an expensive Aeroturbine 4040L muffler resonator and it definitely dropped the drone down about 60%. I mounted it up close to the downpipe like suggested at BCDP web site. It's still louder then stock but has a nice deep note cruisin' down the highway at about 70mph. I'd like to try it mounted in the original MBRP muffler location but exhaust work can be a pain.
Seems like some folks get the drone and some don't, does have something to do with exhaust length and routing. Good luck!
Nut

Old 05-06-2006, 11:59 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
I too have/had the MBRP system. I had the MBRP system on my X and found it to be a little too quiet for my tastes. I previously had an Aeroturbine 4040 welded on to the stock 3.5 system so I had that put on (close to the DP) and sold the MBRP muffler. The result: a much louder, deeper, and throatier exahust note that turns heads and makes people ask about my truck. I also don't have much of a drone problem either.

Old 05-06-2006, 12:08 PM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
Mark, it's a funny thing about aftermarket exhausts on the PSD. Some people get bad drone, and it drives them crazy. Others don't.

I have a 5-inch exhaust with a straight through muffler (no fancy Aeroturbine). I get very little drone - not enough to even bother my wife.

From inside with windows closed, my truck is almost as quiet as stock as some speeds and throttle settings, and seems quieter than stock at other times.

From OUTSIDE, now that is different. That is completely throttle dependent. If anyone else drives my truck, it isn't that loud as they pull away from the house or arrive home - of course, it is always light throttle. It does't even make as much noise as the neighbor's VW bug.

However - I was driving the company truck and followed my wife home as she drove mine. Because of the noise level in the cab (or lack of), I was really surprised by how loud my truck is - at least it was when she stepped on the throttle to enter the freeway!

Loud, deep, and menacing. It was great!

But I really don't hear that from the inside, which really is a good thing.

PS - by the way, on the freeway, even with its open air filter and 5-inch exhaust, my truck is quieter overall than my wife's Civic (no engine noise, but the road noise sucks) AND quieter than my company truck - an '03 Ford F150 5.4 V8. At anything above about 60, the 5.4 makes more noticeable noise in the cab than my 7.3 does. At 80, the 5.4 sounds like it is thrashing itself badly, the 7.3 sounds very, very happy.

Last edited by arninetyes; 05-06-2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:50 PM
Geoff Brown
Freshman User
I've got the Silverline 4" and its very quiet. You can easily forget its there.

Old 05-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Muktown
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
even my 4 inch straight pipe is quiet. you cant hear it inside but when you open the window its a different story. as long as it has a muffler it will be quiet. diesels are much quieter than gassers

Old 05-06-2006, 07:58 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
I too have/had the MBRP system. I had the MBRP system on my X and found it to be a little too quiet for my tastes. I previously had an Aeroturbine 4040 welded on to the stock 3.5 system so I had that put on (close to the DP) and sold the MBRP muffler. The result: a much louder, deeper, and throatier exahust note that turns heads and makes people ask about my truck. I also don't have much of a drone problem either.
Sorry, off topic, but congratulations on the moderator "promotion" Toreador_Diesel, good for you! I'll have to get to the Excursion forum more, I just like it over here.

Old 05-06-2006, 08:31 PM
Ten_Bucks
Junior User
4" turbo back Magnaflow is a pretty quiet exhaust. I'd recommend that one.

Old 05-06-2006, 08:38 PM
cangim
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Geoff Brown
I've got the Silverline 4" and its very quiet. You can easily forget its there.
did you order it off the internet? where? I have been thinking of going to 4 inch as well and looking for a more quieter alternative.

Old 05-07-2006, 09:08 AM
Lushman
Elder User
I have the 4" MBRP, and it is not much louder inside the cab. Fairly easy to install and a good price for a SS system.

Old 05-10-2006, 04:52 AM
AustinS
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Hog Diesel 4" turbo back with a 6" tip and sounds good. Some systems have mufflers you can install in either direction to customize the sound to your liking. The Hog system has one and I think the MBRP system does too. I personally like it straight piped, but my neighbors seem to differ in opinion. Especially when chilly and the EBPV makes it sound like a 747.

Good luck,

Austin

Old 05-10-2006, 04:59 AM
Geoff Brown
Freshman User
Originally Posted by cangim
did you order it off the internet? where? I have been thinking of going to 4 inch as well and looking for a more quieter alternative.
I got it from Heavy Metal Performance. It was local pickup here in Illinois.

Old 05-10-2006, 06:05 AM
GeoffNJ
Elder User
Like arninetyes I have the 5." I too have a ff muffler on mine. It is very quiet at idle and light accleration, I have no cab drone whatsoever and I can actually sneak in and out of my property when I work. It definitely has a "presence" when you get on it and people know you're there.