OK, just got a reman. 390, just looking for some guidelines

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 08:37 PM
chinaman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, just got a reman. 390, just looking for some guidelines

Hey all, man you guys have been a great help lately, hopefully this will be my last post, other than pics when I get them.

Today I ordered a 390, bored to a 406, I know its scetchy, but it was sonic tested, core shift tested etc. came with a 5 year warranty too, and all the inners are new, only thing re used is block, heads, rods and crank, other than that new everything.

I want to make sure I don't jack anything up when I go to start her up. I am gonna transfer my high volume oil pump from my old engine in, put on my rear sump pan etc. I need to get the thing timed, but I can look that up later.

Question, manually prime oil pump, pressurize oil system to prevent dry starting. Basically the engine is dry, without an oil pump installed, what should I do to get everything pre-lubricated?

Thanks a ton AGAIN

Old 05-05-2006, 08:52 PM
Randyb12
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use a drill and a bit extension (the hex is the same as the oil shaft) to turn the oil pump counter clockwise. a 1/4 socket works too.

Old 05-06-2006, 09:25 AM
jor
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re the oil priming process, you can get one of these free at AutoZone. The round aluminum piece fits snugly in the distributor hole.
jor

Attached Images  
Old 05-06-2006, 09:40 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
I personally wouldn't re-use an oil pump from another motor.

If it's warranteed for 5 years, I'd leave well-enough-alone. Did you check if the warrantee is still valid if you swap oil-pumps ???

The 1/4" socket is a good idea. Get a 1/2" reversible drill, a long 1/4" extension and a 1/4" socket and you're good to go. Is it 1/4" or 5/16" ???