1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

somewhat confused need assistance

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 11:06 PM
marcusg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
somewhat confused need assistance

OK now here is the problem and the current situation.... I have an 03 ranger edge with a few upgrades they are as follows in relation to this problem.. dual exhaust with a K&n cold air charger kit and now a jet performance module...... The problem is that the check engine light is on.... the report states i am running lean the light started once i installed the cold air kit and for the record so far the jet chip is USELESS no noticeable gains and the check engine light came back on....... I am now using 91 octane fuel in the engine as recommended but this dam check engine light keeps coming on!!!! any suggestions or recommendations to solve this problem any suggestions will be considered no matter how cheap or costly the solution may be

Last edited by fordboy_52; 05-03-2006 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:11 PM
edgeoffroad04
Junior User
clean/ check your MAF that probably got dirty from the oil in the K&N.
Edgeoffroad04

Old 05-03-2006, 06:04 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Look for air leaks in the new intake system.

Old 05-03-2006, 07:09 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I second both of them...K&Ns have a bad rep for layering the MAF with oil. And air leaking out of the intake would obviously cause problems. The MAF is an easy job, pull, spray with throttle body cleaner, let air dry, just don't screw the filament up!!!

RP
Zach

Old 05-03-2006, 07:55 PM
marcusg
Senior User
OK guys i will try these solutions whenever i wake up and any further possible solutions would be greatly appreciated as it is becoming very aggrevating to disconnect and reconnect the negative. The problem occurs regularly everytime i redline the rpms.... And for anyone interested with these upgrades i went toe to toe with a 96 four door accord last night that has been modified as well. The owner stated he is pushing over 200 h.p. but for some reasons i had my doubts because the truck kept up with a set of HEAVY 20" rims on that are NOT for racing!!!!!!!!! can you beleive it!!!!! More pics of my ride will be posted very soon in the galleries section....

Old 05-03-2006, 08:49 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Well...it's not a performance truck... And the V6 option in the '96 Accord was good for 170 horses, so 200 isn't exactly out of reach, it's a 2.7L platform.

If you have a 4.0L, it would be pitiful you "kept up" you should be able to walk off and leave him.

RP
Zach

Old 05-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RangerPilot

If you have a 4.0L, it would be pitiful you "kept up" you should be able to walk off and leave him.

RP
Zach
On the contrary. A 200 HP Accord should be able to handle the heavier and clunkier Ranger every time.

Old 05-03-2006, 11:43 PM
marcusg
Senior User
I hate to dissapoint you guys but I am driving the edge truck guys the one with the lil 3.0litre in it!!!!!! K&N plus Magnaflow plus Jet mod.. with of course very HEAVY 20"s equals what i have to date plus some extra (not mentioned) but this darn check engine light keeps coming on......

Old 05-04-2006, 05:34 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RangerPilot
....And air leaking out of the intake would obviously cause problems.
Zach, for air to leak out of the intake, the intake would have to be pressurized from a turbo, or supercharger....With NA engines, the intake
is under vacuum, not positive pressure......

Old 05-04-2006, 05:39 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Your jet chip is junk (no offence). Your computer isn't compensating for your mods, mainly the intake. E-mail or call Doug at bama chips.com. He specalizes in ranger programers, and he does wonders. My 99 f-150 did the same thing with the k&n intake, headers, and exhaust. I took it to a half a**ed machanic, he put a fuel regulator on it, and mess with the programing a little. It ran better, but nothing like my ranger with mods, and a bama programer, it's awesome!!

Old 05-04-2006, 05:43 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
"o", And In The Meantime, Try Resetting Your Computer. Pull The Negative Cable Off The Battery For About A Halfhour, Then Hook It Back Up, And See If That Help, If You Have Allready Tried This, Disreguard, And Call Doug.

Old 05-04-2006, 05:54 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Originally Posted by wendell borror
"o", And In The Meantime, Try Resetting Your Computer. Pull The Negative Cable Off The Battery For About A Halfhour, Then Hook It Back Up, And See If That Help, If You Have Allready Tried This, Disreguard, And Call Doug.
Wendell, when you pull the negative battery cable, just short it to the positive cable, and this will discharge the caps in the PCM immediately,
and you won't have to wait a half hour. Just remember, DO NOT short the
battery terminals, just the cables together!!!

Old 05-04-2006, 06:13 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
You could verywell be right Bob, I got the information off of one of the ranger forums, so you know how that goes, "O', never mind, I see what your saying, your talking a quick way to reset. Thanks Bob, thats informations I also can use, your a handy guy to have around!!!

Old 05-04-2006, 06:20 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Originally Posted by wendell borror
You could verywell be right Bob, I got the information off of one of the ranger forums, so you know how that goes, "O', never mind, I see what your saying, your talking a quick way to reset. Thanks Bob, thats informations I also can use, your a handy guy to have around!!!
You are welcome Wendell!! The reason for the long wait when you pull the negative battery cable, is it takes awhile for the PCM caps to discharge, if there is no external current path to discharge them. By shorting the cables,
you are providing a discharge current path. Another thing you can do is turn the headlights on, or push on the brake pedal, and that will do it also....

Old 05-04-2006, 06:54 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Good advice there, something I never woulda known without Bob. Thanks Bob, it's great to have you around!

RP
Zach