Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Longest night of my life

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 11:20 PM
chevskeezy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Longest night of my life

so this weekend me, the girlfriend and her friend took a trip to nebraska. had fun, left lastnight about 6 headed back to illinois. got about 40 miles outside of omaha and the truck shut down. i tried pulling some codes, and got a communication error. checked the connectors they were all good, unhooked the batteries called AAA and pulled the chip. cleaned the connector, both sides put the chip back in, still nothing. AAA said not all of us would fit into the truck so i gave the girls some money and had them walk up to the motel that was about 1/2 mile up teh interstate. the part that really sucks, is that they both had to be at school this morning for finals. Waited 3 hours for a flatbed (i thought if you were broke on the side of the interstate you got priority, evidently not) had it towed 60 miles to my dads shop, checked all fuses, all were good. got one of his trucks drove back to the motel picked them up and headed for IL got home at 7 this morning. slept for a few hours and headed back to nebraska. called jody tipton he said i put the chip in crooked when i installed it and for the breif moment it was crooked it probably fried it and the pcm. first off when i installed it there wasnt even a engine in the truck let alone batteries. it was taped in very well so i know it didnt move when i went over a bump or a pothole. so hes sending me a new pcm it will be here tomorrow. so if the pcm and chip are fried ive got to buy new ones. from what it sounds like thers no warranty on the chip so i guess im just kinda screwed. the part that sucks is that thers no way to prove that i didnt have the batteries hooked up when i first installed it and i cant prove that i didnt fry it myself. this really sucks

Old 05-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Are you kidding me?

Man, you just made up my mind for sure about the DP chip. That kind of support I can do without. I sure am sorry about your luck but that kinda response would have me livid. Maybe he will check things out and take care of you in the end. At least he's sending you something to get you underway again which is a good thing. I don't like the initial sound of it though.
Hope things turn around for you, and quick.

Old 05-02-2006, 12:29 AM
chevskeezy
Senior User
if im the one that screwed it up in the first place than i have no problem paying for it. but i took every precaution when installing it. the bateries werent hooked up yet. i grounded myself with a wire tied around my arm (ford recommends this to prevent static electricity from the carpet from spiking the chip) cleaned everything very well before installation. and followed directions to a t. a good friend of mine was there, who is a software engineer, he also builds computers in his spare time he told me i was goin overbored with the grounding wire, but id rather be safe than sorry. ill find out what is gonna come of this when he gets my package with my old chip and pcm. and tests them

Old 05-02-2006, 06:38 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
............ CPS? ..............

Old 05-02-2006, 06:59 AM
mech2161
Posting Guru
Don't shoot the messanger before you know the message! When you deal with electronics anything can happen. You've got no idea yet what the problem is. Did Jody charge you for the ECM?

Old 05-02-2006, 07:19 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
Man, you just made up my mind for sure about the DP chip. That kind of support I can do without. I sure am sorry about your luck but that kinda response would have me livid. Maybe he will check things out and take care of you in the end. At least he's sending you something to get you underway again which is a good thing. I don't like the initial sound of it though.
Hope things turn around for you, and quick.
This was a bad week for Jody. He made a trip to BTS last week on Wed and left BTS on Fri. Then he had to go to his son's TKD tournament. I had a PCM problem too. He was good enough to call me back on Sat afternoon when he was off.

Diagnostics over the phone is difficult, at best. However, this is the problem. It ran for a while, as I understand it. So, what could have caused it? Nobody knows yet. It could be that somehow another wire crossed with it and shorted something out or it could be that the processor died from natural causes.

Old 05-02-2006, 01:17 PM
chevskeezy
Senior User
got the pcm a hour ago put it in. the truck starts and runs alot better than it did. it actually idles and dont stumble all over itself now, like it did with the chip in it. im gonna call him in a few to see what he says. he just charged me for shiping for the loaner pcm.

Old 05-02-2006, 01:32 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
There's no such thing as "going overboard" when trying to prevent a static charge build-up when around electronics. Many automotive applications use CMOS devices in them, which are EXTREMELY sensitive to static charges. Remember, your friend is a software guy. Hardware guys know better about CMOS, and take extreme care when handling it.

The most insideous thing about CMOS is, despite being solid-state, that it actually has a period of time after being damaged when it may be "intermittant", that is working some of the time and not the other. It may get slightly damaged and work perfectly for a while, too, and then start to degrade. Hard to properly diagnose, and can drive you batty!

You'd be wise, if you ever get inside your home computer, to take the same precautions. Wrist-stats and grounded mats are available at most electronics supply houses, but a wire wrapped around your wrist and properly grounded to the chassis or case works. Touch ground with the other hand, too.

Pop

Last edited by SpringerPop; 05-02-2006 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:17 PM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by chevskeezy
so this weekend me, the girlfriend and her friend took a trip to nebraska. had fun, left lastnight about 6 headed back to illinois. got about 40 miles outside of omaha and the truck shut down. i tried pulling some codes, and got a communication error. checked the connectors they were all good, unhooked the batteries called AAA and pulled the chip. cleaned the connector, both sides put the chip back in, still nothing. AAA said not all of us would fit into the truck so i gave the girls some money and had them walk up to the motel that was about 1/2 mile up teh interstate. the part that really sucks, is that they both had to be at school this morning for finals. Waited 3 hours for a flatbed (i thought if you were broke on the side of the interstate you got priority, evidently not) had it towed 60 miles to my dads shop, checked all fuses, all were good. got one of his trucks drove back to the motel picked them up and headed for IL got home at 7 this morning. slept for a few hours and headed back to nebraska. called jody tipton he said i put the chip in crooked when i installed it and for the breif moment it was crooked it probably fried it and the pcm. first off when i installed it there wasnt even a engine in the truck let alone batteries. it was taped in very well so i know it didnt move when i went over a bump or a pothole. so hes sending me a new pcm it will be here tomorrow. so if the pcm and chip are fried ive got to buy new ones. from what it sounds like thers no warranty on the chip so i guess im just kinda screwed. the part that sucks is that thers no way to prove that i didnt have the batteries hooked up when i first installed it and i cant prove that i didnt fry it myself. this really sucks

When you called we no idea what really happened to your PCM. You had installed the chip a while before this happened. We will do something to relieve your unexpected and untimely cost for a new PCM especially since you just purchased the chip. We are sorry for any inconveinences this may have caused you and we are glad that the New PCM works nicely for you.

Get Tuned! 828-221-0076 ext. 802
Become our Facebook Fan

Last edited by 02250; 05-02-2006 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:34 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Even if there was a question about what chip I was planning on buying when I saved enough money, there is none now. This is what class is all about.

Originally Posted by 02250
When you called we no idea what really happened to your PCM. You had installed the chip a while before this happened. We will do something to relieve your unexpected and untimely cost for a new PCM especially since you just purchased the chip. We are sorry for any inconveinences this may have caused you and we are glad that the New PCM works nicely for you.

Old 05-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
I would be more than happy to eat my words as long as he gets it all sorted out. Sounds like he is well underway and that is a good thing despite that initial "stumble" out the gate. What kind of warranty comes with that chip? I thought he said there was none.

Last edited by Tenn01PSD350; 05-02-2006 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:43 PM
surfclam
Senior User
Another vote for programers!

Old 05-02-2006, 10:05 PM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
I would be more than happy to eat my words as long as he gets it all sorted out. Sounds like he is well underway and that is a good thing despite that initial "stumble" out the gate. What kind of warranty comes with that chip? I thought he said there was none.
There is a warranty for manufactures defects and if you are not happy with it a 30 day full money back guarantee. Unfortunatley we are not certain what caused this and hopefully when we get the chip we can test it and see if it was the culprit. Unfortunatley I already know this, the manufacture will not warrent this chip if it is fried by us or any of our customers,dealers,etc. even accidently. We will hope that it is not fried. This is an aftermarket power adder which you have to take into consideration certain installation & use risks. Like I noted before we will do what ever we can to relieve his stress from the PCM failure. As far as the chip,we will discuss that when we get it checked out.

Get Tuned! 828-221-0076 ext. 802
Become our Facebook Fan
Old 05-02-2006, 10:21 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 02250
That is first class service. Glad to have the Tipton's here on FTE.

Old 05-02-2006, 11:07 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by jtharvey
That is first class service. Glad to have the Tipton's here on FTE.
YES!!! Welcome to FTE!