Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Wheel Bearings, How do i check??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Grunt0311
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Bearings, How do i check??

I have something weird going on in my front end on my 99 1/2 F350 SRW 4x4. When I turn corners, it acts like something is grabbing the steering wheel when I try to straighten out. It has new ball joints w/in last 30000 miles, and I replaced the tie rod ends thinking that was it. Do you think it might be the wheelbearings, and how do I check those? Any replies are appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-02-2006, 07:12 AM
guzzle92
Posting Guru
Pretty much the same way you check for loose ball joints. Jack the tire off the ground and grab the tire and sharply pull on the top, bottom and sides looking for any movement. If any play is detected, lt may take another person looking at the rear sinde of the wheel to determine if the ball joints are gone again or if the play is on the axle. Sometimes it requires a pry bar under the wheel to check for play.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:52 AM
cgl
Posting Guru
Do you have manual or automatic hubs? Could they possibly be locked? I have a co worker who had a bearing fail and it actually locked the hub (his were automatic). We found it by trying to spin the auto/lock selector on the hub and it was frozen...

Old 05-02-2006, 10:00 AM
nodakford
Senior User
When my ESOF went out is acted like that. Really noticeable at sharp turns. So, I just yanked those bad boys out replaced them with Warn Premium hubs. Really glad I did. IMO a way better hub!!

Old 05-02-2006, 10:50 AM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
The only definite "there is something wrong with my truck" symptom I noticed was when I would take a low speed turn - a squeeling/scraping noise occurred during the turn.

The wheel was shifting a bit in the turn (as it was no longer held in place properly by the wheel bearings) and the disc was rubbing on the caliper.

I jacked up the truck, and tried to move the wheel - one hand on top of the tire, one hand beneath. The right side was tight. The left side felt like it moved almost an inch. I didn't drive it again after that until the bearings were replaced.

Since the right wheel had a bad seal, I replaced that one, too.

Warn hubs are relatively inexpensive - especially compared to the stock junkers. I'll pick up a pair after my oil bypass, trans cooler, and fuel supply mods are done. Or sooner, if the stockers fail.

Old 05-02-2006, 12:30 PM
Grunt0311
Senior User
Thanks for the replies! I have the automatic hubs, and I just replaced them not too long ago. It doesnt act like when the hubs are engaged. I doesnt have that harsh grab grab grab when you turn sharp with them engaged. It is more like when your steering stabilizer goes bad, where when you turn it is almost like your steering goes over a hump, then back down. If you accelerate when turning back it just feels like the steering is stuck, or hard to get back over that hump. Any other ideas??

Thanks!

Old 05-02-2006, 01:34 PM
cgl
Posting Guru
Power steering pump could be producing low pressure.. or it could be steering box i guess... How is the braking? The PS pump supplies power to that as well.

Just ideas...

Old 05-08-2006, 11:58 PM
Grunt0311
Senior User
Just wanted to let you guys know what the problem ended up being. I feel like an idiot, but the grease fitting (90 degree type) on the top wheel bearing on passenger side is hitting axel when the wheel is turned, and getting caught. You can see where it is rubbing. I will switch to a regular fitting, and get the adapter for my grease gun. Thanks for the replies!
Bill