1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Driveshaft help needed. '63 LWB

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 03:24 PM
cougardan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driveshaft help needed. '63 LWB

I've got a broken rear driveshaft on a long wheelbase '63 2wd. Does anyone have one they would part with. The cost of a newly built one is kind of high and I'm probably SOL with the local wrecking yards.

I'm in west Texas. I can be reached by email at cougdan@yahoo.com

Thanks, Dan

Old 05-01-2006, 04:20 PM
PROSTOCK
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Can't help you, but depending on the damage, you might have it fixed.

Old 05-01-2006, 05:39 PM
ol yeller
Elder User
I got mine redone completely for 200 at Inland Trucks here in Dallas. Yours 1 or 2 piece?. Where in West Texas?

Old 05-01-2006, 05:44 PM
cougardan
New User
Mine is two piece and the front yoke is broken. The local driveshaft guy said it was too long for a one piece and that he could make me what I needed for a price...

By the way, I'm in Lubbock.

Dan

Old 05-01-2006, 06:59 PM
banjopicker66
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go find a long enough axle with the same size tube and end yoke.
Have a regular machinist cut the splined end out of the original driveshaft.
Have the machinist cut the replacement driveshaft to proper length, and weld in the original splined end.
Take it to the driveshaft place (if he machinist cannot do this) and have them balance it - not that it will make much difference because it is so short, and because it is bolted almost in a straight line.

If you can wait a couple of weeks, I have a couple of the intermediate (forward) driveshafts, from late '60s long bed trucks. I am traveling, and won't be home until 15 May.
If you still need one then, e-mail or PM me, and I'll see if it will meet your needs.

Old 05-02-2006, 12:41 AM
66beater
Senior User
its a long ways away, but Stan Hopkins Driveshafts here in Dallas does good work at fair prices. I had them leingthen the front half of my 2 piece and replace the center bearing today. $119 total and that included a full new tube. He originaly sugested I mail my shaft to him, So I know he works that way. might give him a call and see what he can do for you on parts and price.

I don't know if I would trust anyone who said it was too long for a single piece driveshaft. there are a lot of trucks out there with factory single shafts and extended cabs with long beds. It more likely means the guy doesn't have any more tube in the leingth it would need.

Old 05-02-2006, 03:49 PM
instig8r63
Cargo Master
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by cougardan
Mine is two piece and the front yoke is broken. The local driveshaft guy said it was too long for a one piece and that he could make me what I needed for a price...

By the way, I'm in Lubbock.

Dan

I don't know why he said it was too long. My '63 long bed has a 390, C6 set up with a one piece driveshaft. It's been like that for the 20+ years that I've been driving it.

Old 05-02-2006, 05:21 PM
ol yeller
Elder User
The long shaft will work. Just need to put some silicone gease on the tailshaft when u put it in. It absorbs the shock of the tranny shifting and the body rising up and down.