Carb/Idle Problems. Looking for advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 11:21 PM
fenderman33
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carb/Idle Problems. Looking for advice.

This is my first post on the board...so be nice to me, eh?
I just picked up a 75 F100 with a 302 and Motorcraft 2BBL. I just finished putting a timing chain and two gears on it to find out that the carb was getting fuel but wasn't spraying anything into the intake. I pulled it off and put an Auto Zone kit into it, but apparently missed something along the way. I'm hoping it's something obvious enough to go back and adjust, but I'm really not as familiar with carbs as I'd like to be.
I cleaned everything out well with carb cleaner and replaced the parts that came with the kit and replaced the gaskets. I filled the bowl up with gas and it'd spray...so I put it all the way back together, stuck it back on the truck, cranked a few times, and primed it to try to get it running. The only way I could get it to do anything was by holding the throttle to the floor and letting it crank for a little bit then it'd stay running slowly and roughly as long as you kept the pedal matted. I tried it with the choke open and closed with the same results. The idle screws were set and then backed off 2 turns, and I tried adjusting them more from there, without any change.
Does this sound like something obvious that someone would mind helping me out with before I get stuck putting a $180 carb on a $200 truck. If you're local to the VaBeach area and want to actually show me, that'd be great too.
Thanks alot for any insight you can give.
-Jon

Old 04-21-2006, 11:35 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome to the site

Quote: The idle screws were set and then backed off 2 turns, and I tried adjusting them more from there, without any change.

Please explain specifically what this means

Maybe take a look at this page.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d80103505.jsp

Scroll down ....Find your carb and read the related info.

Last edited by Mil1ion; 04-21-2006 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:20 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Hello- Welcome to FTE! I have moved your post to the specialized forum we have here for your question. Check out the list of tech forums we have on FTE. There is a wealth of information and expertise here to help you. There are a number of links in my sig below to help you also. Have fun!

Old 04-22-2006, 01:47 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
It sounds like the firing order is off or the timing is very retarded.

Old 04-22-2006, 08:38 PM
fenderman33
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks alot for the help. The previos "mechanic" who had it got the firing order way off and the timing out to lunch. I got it reset right and it fired right up and idled nice.
Thanks again,
Jon