Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Leaking Head gaskets

Old 04-21-2006, 05:11 AM
Billyclub
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking Head gaskets

New to this forum and wish I knew about this site along time ago, It could have saved me some money. Last week had the CPS replaced by the dealer, whacked me for $525. The next day I found this site and realized I could have replaced it myself. The problem I'm having now is the dealer says both head gaskets are leaking, rt > lt. Is this a major undertaking and should I defer this to a diesel mech. I'm pretty handy with a wrench but have alot going on and can't be without my truck for more than a couple of days. I'm just afraid to get this puppy apart and have parts left over when I get it back together. Opinions appreciated

Old 04-21-2006, 05:19 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 778 Likes on 594 Posts
Originally Posted by Billyclub
New to this forum and wish I knew about this site along time ago, It could have saved me some money. Last week had the CPS replaced by the dealer, whacked me for $525. The next day I found this site and realized I could have replaced it myself. The problem I'm having now is the dealer says both head gaskets are leaking, rt > lt. Is this a major undertaking and should I defer this to a diesel mech. I'm pretty handy with a wrench but have alot going on and can't be without my truck for more than a couple of days. I'm just afraid to get this puppy apart and have parts left over when I get it back together. Opinions appreciated
Welcome to FTE.
I don't know if you will save any money here, you'll get infected with a bad case of PMS. (Powerstroke Modification Syndrome). But you can know that your money will be better spent than paying for the thick carpeting in the dealer's waiting room.
Symptoms of a bad head gasket are hydrolocking engine after sitting for a while.
Excess coolant usage, white smoke out of the tailpipe, coolant in the crankcase, etc.
What is your truck doing to make them say that?

Old 04-21-2006, 05:23 AM
Billyclub
Senior User
No coolant usage, no hydro lock. They said they had it on the lift and traced to oil leak to both sides of the head gaskets, leaves a small amount of oil on the ground.

Old 04-21-2006, 05:39 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Billyclub
No coolant usage, no hydro lock. They said they had it on the lift and traced to oil leak to both sides of the head gaskets, leaves a small amount of oil on the ground.
Are they saying cylinder head gaskets or valve cover gaskets?

Old 04-21-2006, 10:46 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
$525.. wow.. I guess that is why we call them stealerships !!

Old 04-22-2006, 07:03 AM
Billyclub
Senior User
I believe they are referring to the valve cover gaskets, I'm going to get under and take a look today.

Old 04-22-2006, 09:07 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
A valve cover gasket is a valve cover gasket. If you can wrench, do the job yourself and save the money. You'll also find much better prices for your parts at your local International truck dealer. Just don't ask for valve cover gaskets for a Powerstroke. Ask for valve cover gaskets for a T444E. International's version of the exact same engine that Ford calls the Powerstroke. You'll pay a little more than half what Ford wants for the same part.
While you are there, get a CMP "camp" sensor for your engine and keep it as a spare for when your camshaft position sensor eventually fails. Again for a T444E. You can change it out in 10 minutes and be on your way.

Old 04-22-2006, 02:15 PM
Billyclub
Senior User
They said they would need the truck for two days so I'm guessing it's quite involved. Is there alot of stuff that needs to be moved in order to change the gaskets. They qouted me $2,500.00 for the Labor and parts does this sound correct to you?

Old 04-22-2006, 02:57 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for 2500 they probably really mean the head gaskets and after charging you 525 for a and r+r on the cps run away fast!!!! never heard of a head gasket leaking or and it really isn't even possible for a powerstrokes head gasket to leak oil. my guess is that they don't have anybody there that is remotely familiar with a diesel engine. we can help you find the problems just need as much info that you can give us and tell us what you see under your truck.

Old 04-22-2006, 03:59 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
for 2500 they probably really mean the head gaskets and after charging you 525 for a and r+r on the cps run away fast!!!! never heard of a head gasket leaking or and it really isn't even possible for a powerstrokes head gasket to leak oil. my guess is that they don't have anybody there that is remotely familiar with a diesel engine. we can help you find the problems just need as much info that you can give us and tell us what you see under your truck.
Goooooood advice. I'd use up all the knowledge of every great member on this 7.3 forum before I let a Stealership even put the little stupid paper floormats in my truck. You gotta love this place and all the people that share their knowledge.

Did I say love? No more martinis...

Old 04-22-2006, 04:43 PM
hott-rodd
Elder User
You work in an office don't you? Bet you took your truck in dressed nice.
I have had problems when i went to a shop looking like a "suit".
I guess it's a blue collar vs. white collar thing, best i can figure.
Same problem with salvage yards.
Need wear slacks to a shop or jeans to court, just asking for trouble.
I"D GET A SECOND OPINION!

Old 04-22-2006, 06:44 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Originally Posted by hott-rodd
You work in an office don't you? Bet you took your truck in dressed nice.
I have had problems when i went to a shop looking like a "suit".
I guess it's a blue collar vs. white collar thing, best i can figure.
Same problem with salvage yards.
Need wear slacks to a shop or jeans to court, just asking for trouble.
I"D GET A SECOND OPINION!
Yep, from somebody that doesn't work for a dealer.

Old 04-23-2006, 12:34 AM
chevskeezy
Senior User
hey now, please dont mark all techs as theives. not all of us that work for dealers are crooks, its mostly the service managers and owners of the dealerships. in fact if something is easy to fix, and is gonna cost a guy a lot of money i usually give him my phone number and do it for him at my house. i know alot of people frown on this in dealerships, but i really dont care my boss is a crook. imagine that. i refuse to buy parts from him and put any more money in his pocket, luckly ive got a friend at another dealership that gets stuff at cost too. but there are a few shady techs and they will try selling stuff just because it pays alot of time and is quick to do. usually this happens when business is slow. but for the most part, most of the techs are honest.

by the way if youre gonna do the heads yourself defineatly use a cherry picker to lift them off. those suckers are HEAVY.

Old 04-23-2006, 12:49 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by chevskeezy
hey now, please dont mark all techs as theives. not all of us that work for dealers are crooks, its mostly the service managers and owners of the dealerships. usually this happens when business is slow. but for the most part, most of the techs are honest.

by the way if youre gonna do the heads yourself defineatly use a cherry picker to lift them off. those suckers are HEAVY.
You just quantified the term stealership. Not saying it's you. but there it is. The techs don't write up the work order.

Now as for the cherry picker, how many folks have those? Did you mean an engine hoist?

Old 04-23-2006, 01:08 AM
chevskeezy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
You just quantified the term stealership. Not saying it's you. but there it is. The techs don't write up the work order.

Now as for the cherry picker, how many folks have those? Did you mean an engine hoist?
im definatly not denying that it happens, if i had a choice who to work for it wouldnt be for him. but the closest ford dealership is 30 min away mine is 2 min away. im moving back home to nebraska this summer so ill be happy to get away from that place. ive already got a job, working for fedex on the otr trucks, so i wont have to worry about any of this anymore. and i can honestly say nobody in my shop will fix something that dont need fixed weve been threatened to get fired for not doing something though on several occasions.

as far as the engine hoist, many people call them cherry pickers. i know there is a big difference but thats what i grew up calling it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaking Head gaskets