6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van
View Poll Results: Turbo Failure / EGR Valve Status
EGR Valve Disabled (Closed)
8.06%
EGR Valve Enabled - Malfunctioning (Open)
19.35%
EGR Valve Enabled - Functional
72.58%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Poll For Owners With Turbo Failures

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 11:08 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to FTE and the 6.0 forum Campmaster

When you get a chance you might want to cruise over to our Tech Folder for some great 6.0 info.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303583

Please take a few moments to read our site guidelines as well.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/guidelines.html

Sorry for your problems...good luck.

Old 08-03-2006, 11:34 AM
hatcityhosehaulr
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't voted yet, but when I pick up my '04 Excursion tomorrow, I will check with the dealer, and see if the EGR was functioning or not. It was connected. On Fathers day, had the CEL come on. Dealer said it was an EGR code, and replaced the valve. Last week, CEL came on again. Dealer couldn't look at it until yesterday. Around town didn't notice anything different, but coming back from Canada on Tuesday, noticed a power lag, until turbo spooled up all the way. Sounds similar to others here. Dealer just called and told me he was replacing the turbo, and the EGR (again).

For the record this is an '04 Excursion (8/03 built date), 30,822 miles, totally stock.

Tim

Old 08-04-2006, 04:34 PM
Mark Oomkes
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kw5413
Interesting observation from one of our resident techs.

Turbo failures:

I was working on one the other day and I noticed something. This one was in for the infamous turbo fart, so I was doing diagnostics on turbo functions. There is one test where you can observe vgt operation while running. At idle, vgt was changing constantly(not supposed to do that) researching further, the new reflash enables the pcm to cycle vgt from 15% to 85% if it notices vanes stuck in an effort to free them. I can manually operate vgt with the wds so I cycled it several times, and it cleared up(but started again after a few minutes) I think the turbo fart is a result of sticking vanes or slow operation of the vgt solenoid. Its not a far reach to say that the "hickup" that several have experienced is a symptom as well. I dont think it is egr like a lot of techs think, partly a result of your poll. The ones that are talking about the "transmission trying to relearn shift points" might actually be the pcms strategy on the vgt. So, as unpopular as it might be, it probably extends engine life somewhat to get all reflashes done, cause it helps to see a problem already brewing. The percieved loss of power that I have seen on the forum may be that the reflash has corrected an overboost from stuck vanes, thus the"loss" of power
Keith, where is this info on the 'hickup'? TIA

I had this on my '04, the dealer tried several things, ended up with a new turbo--which has an awesome whistle--but did not solve the problem. Not sure if the 'hickup' is gone, but the power sure isn't there.

Anyways, can't really vote in the poll, only had 1 turbo replaced and I personally don't believe it was bad. A little history on it, because it is similar to Rosco's issue in this thread.

Last March ('05), this truck wouldn't move until warmed up. Couldn't get over 1K RPM's no matter what. Idiots at my original dealer said nothing wrong. Brought it in for a reflash about a year later (they already neutered the T\H) and I told them "I have 2 other 6.0's that will move when cold, I don't want the truck back until fixed." All of a sudden, they found 3 bad injectors. Kept it over night to make sure and found a 4th bad injector. (Same idiots ruined the hydraulic pump and couldn't fix the AC, so I had to bring it back to them 3 more times before it actually ran right again) Truck ran like brand new or brand new engine installed for about 2-3 months, then it starts all over again. Had a little more power than the first time, but still wasn't like the 2-3 months in between. Brought it to another dealer, explained that the problem started all over again and it hiccupped when cold and the problems I had with the other dealer. I have no idea how else to explain this noise, because I have never heard anything like it from an engine before. I was very nice and explained that I know that Ford is putting them in the middle and basically screwing them over by making them deal with customers that have problems but they can't fix them properly without Ford's permission.

Anyways, they test drove it, couldn't find anything wrong with the injectors. Told them I have 2 others that run fine, this just started happening all over again-please fix it because I'm not picking it up until you do. So they try the incompetent hotline's advice, end up replacing the turbo after a couple other things that were installed and removed when it didn't fix it. Supposedly, the hotline told them a 'new way of reflashing', whatever that means. The tech told the service manager that it was 100% better. I picked it up and if anything, it is more sluggish now than before, even when warmed up. I have not had time to bring it back, yet. I also don't know if the 'hiccup' went away, I don't usually drive this truck. It sure isn't any better when cold. I am convinced it is injectors again, but they are 'within spec' so they won't do anything.

Any ideas?

Sorry for the epistle and a little hijacking, but it's pretty close to the actual thread title.

PS EGR was unplugged.