General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

US decides to condone or use assasination in the war on terror

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 08:32 AM
76supercab
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you think. Good, bad, don't care?

Old 12-18-2002, 08:36 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Just remember how WWI was started.

Jared

Old 12-18-2002, 10:22 AM
big_daddy_velvet
Elder User

Jared's right. Assassinating foreign leaders leads to assassination of domestic leaders. Dubya better start wearing a vest...
There's a reason the US decided against assassinating leaders back in the cold war, but the principal still holds true: if you murder a leader, his replacement stands a great chance of being even more extreme, and he's probably alot more pissed off, as are his people, who will be alot more willing to go to war and do crazy schlitz.
Kill all the terrorists you want. That's no big deal to me. But diplomats, leaders, and dignitaries should be off limits.
BDV

Old 12-18-2002, 11:04 AM
brienobrien
Elder User

As far as the US is concerned, the CIA has been assasinating people for years. It is nothing new in the modus operandi. It may be a little more overt now than it was 40 years ago, but it still happens. John Kennedy failed in his attempt upon Fidel Castro which is one theory why he himself was killed.

BTW the word assasin is of middle eastern origin. The arabs would hire young men to perform desperate acts of murderous nature upon heads of state. They knew they would die in the attempt, whether they were successful or not. So the Sheiks would set them up a few days before, with all of the hashish and women they could handle. Therefore, they became known as "hashassins", because they would smoke themselves into a stupor before their murderous job. Later the word was anglicized into "assasin". And now you know the rest of the story!

Old 12-18-2002, 06:41 PM
1997RangerXLT
Posting Guru

Nothing was said about assassinating foreign leaders, we are talking about criminals here.

Kill all of them before they kill anymore Republicans.

Old 12-18-2002, 06:58 PM
samhihn
Senior User

Assassination is IMHO a viable military option. I don't, however, think it is something to be used as a form of political expediency. In other words if the guy is a clear threat to our security, whack him! If he's just someone with a different political way of viewing the world, listen, carry on a dialogue to express our point of view Make a determination that he is, in fact, our enemy and then whack 'em!

Old 12-18-2002, 07:19 PM
76supercab
Senior User

Here's the way I see it. The Bush administration has put out a list to the CIA of 24 people they have evidence are involved in planning and oganizing acts of terror. The administration has told the CIA to neutralize these people using whatever means necessary -- dead or alive. These are not the leaders of a nation. I don't think any of them would hesitate to attempt an assasination on Bush given the opportunity so he's not really starting anything. This 'war on terror' is a war against a non-standing army. These people will blend into the population and dissappear. The last thing they are going to do is organize into a battalion and line up against us in the field of battle. Therefore our old tactics that were developed during the cold war to battle another nation army aginst army won't work. We will be fighting these people on a one-by-one basis. This type of fighting requires different tactics and assasination seems to be a viable weapon to use. The so called ban was never US law but a policy enacted by a former presidential administration (I think it was Regan but might be wrong).

So I say just as in the case of the land-rover VS the predator, go for it. In the long run it might save lives. Do we go to war against a whole country (Afganistan) or send in a team of snipers to take out a few terrorist leaders.

Old 12-18-2002, 09:40 PM
rocky
Elder User

Look what happened to John Kennedy. He had the President of Vietnam killed, and got the same back.

Old 12-19-2002, 12:38 AM
the law
Elder User

We're assassinating now? Sweeeeeeeeeet!

The Law
1989 F-250 HD 4x4
460, C6, BW 13-56, Sterling 10.25" (4.10:1), Dana 44 HD (4.09:1), twin K&N's, no muffler, stock lo-flo cat, Bosch Platinum Plugs (0.060") MSD 6A and TFI Blaster Coil

Old 12-19-2002, 05:05 AM
1997RangerXLT
Posting Guru

Old 12-19-2002, 10:49 AM
brienobrien
Elder User

>Look what happened to John Kennedy. He had the President of
>Vietnam killed, and got the same back.

I think that if Kennedy's murder was a quid pro quo, it was not the result of Diem's asassination. It probably was more the result of the Bay of Pigs and Kennedy's contract on Castro. Diem did'nt have the connections to pull the assasination of the century off. On the other hand, the Mafia was well ensconced in Cuba before Castro pulled off his coup.

Old 12-19-2002, 06:53 PM
Chuck 6083
Elder User
Location: Where they take the census by counting the appliances on the front porch and multiplying by five

I do not apologize for feeling that assasination of leaders of nations or factions hostile to the U.S. is wrong. Nor do I apologize for feeling that the U.S. and it's President should use ANY means necessary to protect U.S. citizens from harm.

For too long we have tried to make our foreign relations "kinder and gentler". It makes me long for the days of Reagan.

When you declare war, there should be no rules of engagement. Anything goes, it's war after all.However, I do feel that rules of warfare according to non-biligerents, POW's, (ie. Geneva Convention) should be followed but we're just about the only country that would.

NONE of the factions we are presently fighting would feel obliged to conduct themselves honorably regarding those rules, IMO.

No matter how you slice it, war is war. It's a dirty business. You cannot make it "warm and fuzzy".

To add to what our previously mis-guided, peace-at-any-price, president Carter said,
"War may be a necessary evil, but it is evil none the less" I would like to add "and sometimes necessary none the less as well."

"To those who only understand force, force must be used."

Chuck

Old 12-19-2002, 09:28 PM
ckrichard
Elder User

>We're assassinating now? Sweeeeeeeeeet!
My same reaction.

Chris

Old 12-19-2002, 09:47 PM
mick460
Elder User

It seems like we have put the cart before the horse. All this talk about war and such is only talk. I for one am not against it but I still haven't read anything or heard anything to actually say we,(meaning the USA) have started or are in a war. Some of you football fans might have heard of Ron Wolf. He worked for a few different teams thru his career in football. Anyway what you might not know is he was a disinformation officer. Now having not been in the military I couldn't enlighten you on what that actually is but the title kinds of speaks for itself. So maybe some of this big muscle flexing is just that and scare tactics and bs is a way of overcoming the enemy without getting the gun out of the case. Just so food for thought.

Old 12-19-2002, 09:50 PM
BuiltToughF250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its about time. i almost wouldnt even call it an assasination, since terrorists dont even qualify as people in my book. to send out some kid hopped up on religious brainwashings to blow himself up and take others with him, DOES NOT MAKE YOU A MAN. oh yeah snipe off them jon malvo and jon mohammed fellas while we are at it.

BuiltToughF250

Quick Reply: US decides to condone or use assasination in the war on terror