Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Pyro reads 250 when I turn the key on (not start) and engine is cold

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 07:16 AM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pyro reads 250 when I turn the key on (not start) and engine is cold

Installed pyro, boost, and trans gauges yesterday. The pyro seems to be wrong. I used the clamp style probe pre-turbo. Running down the highway at 70mph/1950rpms, pyro reads about 850 and 900.

Any ideers?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:02 AM
cangim
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well it definately seems that it is about 200 off, I usually run about 700 cruising no load on interstate, maybe lower been a while since i looked. Did you cut any of the RTD wiring? also check to make sure the connections are secure and have great continuity. I believe RTD probes read higher temps with increase of resistance. So if the connections are weak, it would through the gauge off. Then again, it might just be the gauge itself.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:10 AM
Orezona
Postmaster
I didn't cut any of the wires. I have a lot of extra lead wire and they are connected with a screw and nut that came with the gauges and lead wire kit. I used the factory ground mount under the dash just to the right of the driver's leg area and for power I spliced into an ignition switched wire on the plug under the dash that isn't plugged into any thing. Do you think that plug not hooked to anything could be the problem? Oh, and all the screw/nut connections are covered with the high temp sleeves that came with the gauges. The first time I turned the key, it read 300. Now, this morning it reads 250...

I just went out and started the truck. Turned the key on, it read 250. Turned to start, during cranking gauge dropped to 100, jumped to 900 and settled to 500 at a cold idle. Somthing's up.

Last edited by Orezona; 04-09-2006 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:57 AM
guzzle92
Posting Guru
It sound as if your pyro is definately mis-calibrated. Could be due to some mishandling during shipping. I would start by contacting the vedor you purchased them from as see if you can get an exchange.

My autometer seems to be off by about 40º on the low end. During the fridged temps this winter, it would read 50º with the key turned to on and now with ambiant temps of 60º, it reads 100º with the engine off. I can live with that but I think 200º would be too much.

Old 04-09-2006, 10:35 AM
piotrsko
Elder User
stick the probe in a cup of BOILING water. it should read approx 212*f. if not it is wrong (should read high, low means broken).

Lead length is relative, on iron/constantine TC the leads have to NOT be cut or it alters the readings.

More resistance will generally LOWER the temp indications on the meter. 1 ohm adjusts about 100 * f

Old 04-09-2006, 10:49 AM
rmilchman
Elder User
Originally Posted by guzzle92
It sound as if your pyro is definately mis-calibrated. Could be due to some mishandling during shipping. I would start by contacting the vedor you purchased them from as see if you can get an exchange.

My autometer seems to be off by about 40º on the low end. During the fridged temps this winter, it would read 50º with the key turned to on and now with ambiant temps of 60º, it reads 100º with the engine off. I can live with that but I think 200º would be too much.
I just installed mine (live in NJ), it also says about 100 when I go to start the truck. But I'm thinking once the truck is started it is accurate, as I can get the temps down to about 300 before shutting it off. If it was off by 100 that would mean the engine is at 200 and I don't think that would be possible, but I could be wrong.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:14 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Is it ok for the edges of the probe to be touching the sides of the hole? The directions didn't specifiy the whole size so I drilled it just big enough for it to fit.

Today while driving from the store I noticed it would flucuate down to what I would estimate to be the proper reading and then back up.

Old 04-09-2006, 03:19 PM
JOE-M
Elder User
It sounds like a groundig problem. What brand of gauges did you buy?
Joe

Old 04-09-2006, 03:23 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
That's kinda what I was thinking. I will check it. The gauges are ISSPRO.

Old 04-09-2006, 03:36 PM
JOE-M
Elder User
The thermocoupler isn't long enough to touch the other side of the pipe is it? When you say the hole is barely big enough for the probe, there isn't any way that it could be touching the pipe on the side and grounding out and thus giving a false reading when it does? Just a couple of thoughts.
Joe

Old 04-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
I'm sure it isn't touching the other side, but I'm also sure it's touching the edge of the hole I drilled. Would it ground out on the sides of the probe?

Old 04-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Muktown
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Orezona
I'm sure it isn't touching the other side, but I'm also sure it's touching the edge of the hole I drilled. Would it ground out on the sides of the probe?
i dont think it would ground out through the probe. do you mean the hole is drilled on an angle and the tip is hitting the side of the pipe if so there might be some heat transfer between the pipe and the probe

Old 04-09-2006, 08:39 PM
JOE-M
Elder User
Originally Posted by Orezona
I really don't know. I'm guessing as much as anything. If you take the probe out, leave it wired up, and let it dangle in the air without touching anything, this would eliminate grounding at the pipe. Also check the wiring at the first connection screws. If it is still jumping around my guess would be bad gauge or probe. You might want to email the supplier and see what they say. It could even be a bad amplifier.
Joe

Old 04-09-2006, 08:47 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
I'm definately leaning toward a defective part. Which one I just don't know. I purchased the gauges and kits from DieselManor so I'm going to give them a call first thing in the morning. This gauge thing has been one pain after another. It took me three weeks just to get the right color of the pod, and it still isn't perfect, but close enough (didn't get the pod from dieselmanor). I checked the ground and it is solid.

What does your guy's/gals pyro do when the engine is cranking for start?

Last edited by Orezona; 04-09-2006 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:17 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what a coincidence. I just installed my gauges this afternoon and was logging on to ask the same question.

My Pyro reads 100 when cold and my tranny reads about 120 when cold. I have autometer boost/pyro and trans.

I as well had an issue with mount color. I ordered grey and they sent me black but they didnt charge so I didnt get to upset. took me about 3 hours and 10 autoparts stores to find the right vinyl paint.

p.s. I drilled and tapped my pyro pre turbo.

Quick Reply: Pyro reads 250 when I turn the key on (not start) and engine is cold