Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Pyro reads 250 when I turn the key on (not start) and engine is cold

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 12:16 AM
cangim
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The thermo couple probe doesn't ground through the probe. The stainless finish is for protection of of the internals. The probe changes resistance inside with heat, that is why there are two wires to the probe. If everything is good, then yes, you probably have a gauge that was not calibrated to the probe prior to being sent out.

Clem1226, your tranny reading may be high due to lack of a ground at the sensor. Did you tape the sensor, if so, I'd pull it out and use very little to no tape. I used some thread paste on mine.

Old 04-10-2006, 04:57 AM
JOE-M
Elder User
I have Isspro gauges from Diesel Manor also. When I start to crank it the needle is pegged on the bottom. While it's cranking the needle goes between 100* and 200*. When it first catches and starts it jumps to 300* to 400* and then settles to 150* and slowly moves up to 200* to 250* as it idles.
Joe

Old 04-10-2006, 11:32 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cangim
T

Clem1226, your tranny reading may be high due to lack of a ground at the sensor. Did you tape the sensor, if so, I'd pull it out and use very little to no tape. I used some thread paste on mine.
I used thread paste as well. I've just never gotten the hang of teflon tape.

when I was out driving today the tranney never got above 150. It was around 50 degrees ambient so the 150 number seams acurate with stock tranney cooler and dino oil. Time for a trucool.

Old 04-11-2006, 06:08 AM
rmilchman
Elder User
Originally Posted by clem1226
I used thread paste as well. I've just never gotten the hang of teflon tape.

when I was out driving today the tranney never got above 150. It was around 50 degrees ambient so the 150 number seams acurate with stock tranney cooler and dino oil. Time for a trucool.
I just ordered one last night from dieselsite.
Tru-Cool 4739 MAX
4739 without Thermal Bypass valve- INCLUDE 99-03 POWERSTROKE INSTALL KIT

Part#: TC-4739/1-TCIK

(Qty: 1 x $123.50)

Old 04-11-2006, 06:46 AM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I called DieselManor yesterday morning, he said it's probably the amplifier box. So he was going to call ISSPRO and have a new one out to me in a few days. I'll update when I get it switched out.

Also, he said gauges that require connection to 12vdc power to operate can have the lead wire cut to shorten because they aren't "calibrated". But, if you do, don't use solder, use a crimp style connection when putting it together. I don't have verification of this claim. I just thought it was interesting enough to pass on to the FTE family.

Thanks for everybody's help. Update to follow.

Old 04-11-2006, 07:14 PM
JOE-M
Elder User
Good deal, maybe that'll fix it up.
Good luck with it, Joe

Old 04-11-2006, 10:05 PM
cangim
Postmaster
Lead wire can be cut to any length yes, that is what is powering the gauges. The one not to cut is the K-Type thermo couple wire, the yellowish wire with two conductors going to the probe.

Old 04-12-2006, 01:39 AM
missouguy
Elder User
I have the Isspro set and my pyro (clamp style pre turbo) doesn't do anything when I turn it on. It doesn't move until the engine has run for about 10 seconds, then slowly comes up. I have never had a problem. It reads slow and easy with no violent swings at all. I would get in touch with the vendor as I suspect the amp box may be defective.

Good Luck.

Frank

Old 04-13-2006, 02:44 PM
turbostroke
Senior User
Originally Posted by clem1226

My Pyro reads 100 when cold
Autometer says that their pyro gauge doesn't actually hit its 'true" calibration until about 600*. They mention that 500-600* is actually considered a cool exhaust temperature. With that said they also mentioned that a pyro gauge sensor is basically an air temperature monitor so it technically will not hit the zero mark on the gauge unless it is actually 0* degree ambient temperature outside. This gauge is not a return spring gauge thus it will never hit the zero mark upon voltage termination. Technical service # for Autometer is 815-899-0801 if anyone is interested.

Last edited by turbostroke; 04-13-2006 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:38 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Originally Posted by turbostroke
Autometer says that their pyro gauge doesn't actually hit its 'true" calibration until about 600*. They mention that 500-600* is actually considered a cool exhaust temperature. With that said they also mentioned that a pyro gauge sensor is basically an air temperature monitor so it technically will not hit the zero mark on the gauge unless it is actually 0* degree ambient temperature outside. This gauge is not a return spring gauge thus it will never hit the zero mark upon voltage termination. Technical service # for Autometer is 815-899-0801 if anyone is interested.

The other day I finally received my new amplifier box and got it installed this evening. Not good. Now, when I turn the key on with a cold engine it reads 275 or 300. I changed the ground to a non-shared ground location and still no luck.
What do you guys think? I let it idle for a little and it climed right up to 500 or a little higher. This was after only about a minute. The gauges lowest number is 100. I just don't understand 300 when I turn the key to the on position before even cranking. Maybe 500 or so is a cool tem for my engine.

It's frustrating after having all the problems trying to get a matching color for the under cubby pod and now this. Sure is alot of money for a half-a## reading.

Old 04-20-2006, 07:49 PM
JOE-M
Elder User
Call Diesel Manor again. It must be that the gauge is out of whack. No way those temps are right at idle, right after cranking. Our trucks are the same year with the same gauges and mine doesn't act like that. Sorry I can't be of anymore help.
Joe

Old 04-20-2006, 07:53 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Originally Posted by JOE-M
Call Diesel Manor again. It must be that the gauge is out of whack. No way those temps are right at idle, right after cranking. Our trucks are the same year with the same gauges and mine doesn't act like that. Sorry I can't be of anymore help.
Joe
Which power and ground locations did you use? Do you also have the clamp style probe?

Old 04-20-2006, 08:03 PM
JOE-M
Elder User
No, I tapped and drilled the manifold. There is a major thunderstorm here right now, when it passes I'll go crawl under the dash and look.
Joe

Old 04-20-2006, 08:04 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Thanks alot I really appreciate the help.

Old 04-21-2006, 05:15 AM
JOE-M
Elder User
The storm finally passed, power is back on and the internet works again. I crawled under the dash his morning, but you won't like my answer. I ran the hot wires for the pyro and the transmission to a "switch on" hot wire behind the fuse panel. It is an orange wire, but there's nothing special about it. It was probably the first one I found when I was installing the gauges. Both grounds run to a fuse panel mounting screw that grounds on the dash frame. Once again, nothing special about the location.
Sorry I can't be of more help, Joe

Quick Reply: Pyro reads 250 when I turn the key on (not start) and engine is cold