Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Transmisson serviced...kinda?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 07:34 PM
trakman
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Transmisson serviced...kinda?

Drained the oil out of the transmisson pan....dropped it and pulled the filter and was prepared to drain the torque convertor but could not find any plug or any way to drain it. Is there a way to do this? I wished I could have gotten that fluid out but not seeing anyway, gave up, installed new filter, cleaned up the pan and re-installed. Took the lines off at the cooler and let everything drain there that would come out so guess this is why I call this transmisson service job a "kinda". Is there anything different I could have done? Thanks. This is on an 03, E4-100.

Old 03-25-2006, 07:41 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trakman
Drained the oil out of the transmisson pan....dropped it and pulled the filter and was prepared to drain the torque convertor but could not find any plug or any way to drain it. Is there a way to do this? I wished I could have gotten that fluid out but not seeing anyway, gave up, installed new filter, cleaned up the pan and re-installed. Took the lines off at the cooler and let everything drain there that would come out so guess this is why I call this transmisson service job a "kinda". Is there anything different I could have done? Thanks. This is on an 03, E4-100.
Yeah... mine doesn't have the t/c drain plug too. U have to pull the cooler return line at the rear of the tranny and let it all drain there.
Nut

Old 03-25-2006, 07:46 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...nsmission.html

is what i used. when i put the clear hose over the return line, (rearmost line from the cooler) i used a hose that was smaller than the barb, heated the hose (plastic) and it got all soft and pliable. then i slid it over the nipple, let it cool, and then put a hose clamp on top of it. make sure it is TIGHT, because at one shift (i believe N to D) it will shoot out a fair amount of fluid. nice big 3' puddle on the ground.

Old 03-25-2006, 08:02 PM
trakman
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks guys for the quick response. Wished I had seen that artical before today....will know how next time.....thanks

Old 03-25-2006, 08:10 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by trakman
Thanks guys for the quick response. Wished I had seen that artical before today....will know how next time.....thanks
how expensive is the oil you put in? was it just the cheap Motorcraft stuff? you can do this without removing the pan. and since it holds 18-19 quarts, you only took about 30% of the old oil out. so that means you were basically pssing in the wind. i would buy 5 gallons (20 quarts) of the stuff, and redo this. basically all you did was change the filter, because the old oil mixed in with new. you need at least 90% concentration of new oil to have it not contaminated with the old oil. its your choice, i would do it right if it was my truck.

Old 03-25-2006, 09:42 PM
Lushman
Elder User
So I am a bit confused? What is the best way to completely drain the transmission? I am going to install my Sonnax soon and would like to switch to synthetic but obviously want as much of the old tranny oil out as possible.

Old 03-25-2006, 10:12 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Lushman
So I am a bit confused? What is the best way to completely drain the transmission? I am going to install my Sonnax soon and would like to switch to synthetic but obviously want as much of the old tranny oil out as possible.
post #3 has a link to the method. What is your choice of syn ATF? Curious?
Nut

Old 03-26-2006, 08:06 AM
Lushman
Elder User
I was thinking about the Amsoil synthetic ATF. Is there another that you would reccomend? I am also installing my rear diff cover so I was going to go with the Amsoil synthetic 75W-140 there with the Slip-Lock (for my LS) I saw a link to the Scheaffer products, but I can't seem to find them around me and nobody was emailing me back from their website fro info, pricing, etc. I figured at this point since I just bought it I want to get ALL of the fluids changed and I haven't heard much bad about Amsoil or Scheaffer, but I can get teh Amsoil locally.

Old 03-26-2006, 08:26 AM
PSNut
Postmaster
I was thinking about the Amsoil synthetic ATF. Is there another that you would reccomend? I am also installing my rear diff cover so I was going to go with the Amsoil synthetic 75W-140 there with the Slip-Lock (for my LS) I saw a link to the Scheaffer products, but I can't seem to find them around me and nobody was emailing me back from their website fro info, pricing, etc. I figured at this point since I just bought it I want to get ALL of the fluids changed and I haven't heard much bad about Amsoil or Scheaffer, but I can get teh Amsoil locally.
Just make sure the ATF is NOT dual Mercon,Mercon V rated:
http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...sp?subcatID=19 (these guys are a bit pricey)
or
http://www.specialtyformulations.com/products.htm ( these guys know lubricants judging on what i've been reading) I plan on going with the Autoglide.

Nut

Old 03-26-2006, 08:30 AM
Lushman
Elder User
$11.95/ gallon for the Autoglide seems very reasonable to me!
I didn't realize I could go within a mile of my house and purchase the Redline products. I may have to check that out after breakfast!

Old 03-26-2006, 08:31 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
the amsoil Synthetic TorqueDrive is what i use. i got two 2.5 gallon jugs, and it had about a quart left. this is good stuff. i bought it from an online dealer buddy, and it was right about $175 for 5 gallons.

Old 03-26-2006, 10:36 AM
Lushman
Elder User
Kris,
Why did you go with the Amsoil Torque-Drive instead of jus their synthetic universal ATF? They are very close in price, I was just wondering what the extra benefit was that you heard of?

Old 03-26-2006, 10:38 AM
PSNut
Postmaster
Kris,
Why did you go with the Amsoil Torque-Drive instead of jus their synthetic universal ATF? They are very close in price, I was just wondering what the extra benefit was that you heard of?
I believe the Torque Drive is rated for Mercon ONLY.Not Mercon V.

Old 03-26-2006, 10:58 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
its actually a fluid designed for heavy duty OTR automatics. read up on it some.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atd.aspx

it's probably why i have never seen my tranny temp gauge budge off of the needle since i have had gauges this winter.

Old 03-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Lushman
Elder User
Sweet! I forgot to mention that I will be adding the TruCool at the same time, how much extra trans fluid will I need?

Quick Reply: Transmisson serviced...kinda?