Sponsored by: Moser

Installing engine and transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 08:14 PM
crawlfish
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installing engine and transmission

Anyone got experience installing engine with transmission together in F250? Got '79 F250 Camper Special.

thanks

Old 03-19-2006, 09:53 PM
mattri
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What are you looking to know?

Old 03-19-2006, 10:28 PM
T18skyguy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I considered it with my 460 in my 75 Supercab. It would be easy if you remove the front rail/grill etc. Otherwise, very difficult with a common engine hoist but doable if you have a gantry crane and are able to tilt the whole thing fairly steep.

Old 03-19-2006, 11:33 PM
busted knuckle
Senior User
you can pull your whole front clip with 16 bolts i think it is. soak the bolts for a couple of days if you have never had the clip off.pm me if you need help. good luck. take some measurements and outline your hood hinges with a grease pencil or something so stuff will line back up easier.

Old 03-20-2006, 05:26 PM
crawlfish
More Turbo
Thanks for all the replies. I considered removing the front grill but it was more difficult than I thought after looking at it more closely. Really would like to try the clip if it's doable. I don't think I visualized taking the whole clip off at one time.

I would appreciate more information on how to do this. Will write you directly for that info.

Old 03-23-2006, 07:11 PM
crawlfish
More Turbo
well, i haven't gotten any more specific info so I'll scope out what I can on the front clip. how hard is it to lift off?

otherwise i'll give it a go without taking out the clip and see if i can angle it in. i'll give up if it doesn't go right off and separate the two.

no real hurry, still got brake lines and fuel lines to install, hopefully tomorrow.

Old 03-24-2006, 12:37 AM
fordraceboy
Posting Guru
the front clip is simple to remove.. not that heavy- just awkward. mark the hood hinges with a grease pencil or paint stick and then remove the hood... unhook your headlight wiring harness from each side and make sure everything that is mounted to the inner fenders is unhooked- starter solenoid, voltage regulater, windshield washer tank, etc.. there are two bolts in the front by the radiator core support that go to the frame. there are 3 on each side right by the hood hinges on the top of the inner fender. there is at the bottom of each fender behind the tire. and there is one that you have to reach in through the door jam to remove that is about halfway up the fender.. i think thats all of them. then all you have to do is get a buddy and both of you lift it up and off the truck..

Old 03-24-2006, 08:20 PM
pacochico
Junior User
I just take a engine with the transmition out of a 78, 351m and I took the hole front clip is easer that if you live it on. only toke me1 hr to get it out. remember is not like puting the man on the moon.

Old 03-24-2006, 09:35 PM
crawlfish
More Turbo
you guys convinced me... gonna try it... what the hey i just keep digging deeper and deeper in this project...

so what has to come off beside the lights fordraceboy mentioned... all the heater / ac stuff on the fender and firewall? what else?

Old 03-24-2006, 11:16 PM
petes79f150
Posting Guru
That's funny.....all these years of working on cars and I thought the front clip was the front frame section that the suspension and bodywork bolt to.......

Old 03-25-2006, 06:08 AM
crawlfish
More Turbo
Gee Petes, if you're confused so am I... but I have seen a few times the front grill and fenders off as a unit sitting all nice an painted for someone to buy or in preparation of install.. just like I have a bed of a truck.

Still, I've often heard for old truck modifications to use the front clip of a Camero or Mustang ll ... Mustang ll being favored of course... and this was for suspension and brakes.

It won't do me good if I don't have an engine mount to mount to... ha, ha... I just have to assume that the front sheet metal is also called a clip and can be removed as a unit.

Old 03-25-2006, 06:22 PM
petes79f150
Posting Guru
Yeah, I've heard that stuff refered to the same way, and usually let it slide- I was just in the mood to stir up some doo-doo....

Old 03-25-2006, 07:25 PM
SwOkcOffRoader
Postmaster
dont take the front off, just get a good sized hoist and be done with it...i took my front end off for a motorswap once and it took me 3 times as long...with the right lift you can clear the grill....if you have to, remove the wheels and set the truck down low to the ground on small wood blocks, i had to do that once when my engine hoist gave out half way up and i couldnt get the engine high enough.....its amazing how low a truck will sit without tires or wheels...

Old 03-25-2006, 08:01 PM
petes79f150
Posting Guru
I like that! Don't raise the engine, lower the truck! Now that's redneck engineering in action!

Old 03-26-2006, 06:32 PM
crawlfish
More Turbo
Installing engine and transmission as a unit

Ok guys, I think I agree cause it isn't "simple" (not like taking a starter off kind of simple). It is probably easier and quicker to separate the transmission from the engine and install them separately.

I took alot of pictures to make sure I can get the harnesses reattached, labeling as I went. The fender well skirts are off after liberally spraying down with penetrant. One is damaged (it was already torn loose at top and cracked. Got to replace all the clips and screws they're too far gone to replace. This took awhile and no metal off yet.

I can quit, but I'm still inclined to install as a unit. My engine hoist is one of those that can slide out the boom and goes fairly high. It clears the grill top with spare, but I don't know if its spare enough to angle the tranny downward enough to slide it in. My help said it was and to use a big screwdriver and tilt the engine that way. It might work, especially if I did lower the truck.

On the other had, I'm fixing things that needed attention anyway. Considering painting inside the engine compartment and doing some body work. Nice inside go with my new engine, though it's really a work truck ... started out as something for firewood and towing, but I just keep prettying up the old sow.

Last edited by crawlfish; 03-26-2006 at 06:41 PM. Reason: too much coffee this morning

Quick Reply: Installing engine and transmission