85 Carb to EFI

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 03:55 PM
hotrob
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 Carb to EFI

Has anyone ever converted a 460 carb, to fuel injection? I am trying to find out what kind of job that would be. If it would be worth it. Thanks.

Old 03-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I don't think an EFI intake will bolt up to carbed heads, the bolt pattern is different along with slightly different port shapes. You may be able to run a throttle body setup on it, but I don't know if it will gain anything other than driveability, most multiport EFI 460s stay in the 8-12mpg range.

Old 03-05-2006, 07:51 PM
hotrob
Junior User
What I'm considering is getting a whole new motor with the fuel injection, wiring, and computer and possibly transmission. I and looking to restore the truck this next winter after I get done using it this summer. (It's my work truck) I've always liked this body style but would like to have some newer options if possible. I don't want show quality truck but just a nice truck to drive.

Old 03-07-2006, 07:47 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Rob, I am getting ready to do the same thing with my 86 I bought an entire 1990 F250 for parts as I also wanted the E4OD transmission (part of the reason for this exercise). I am going to use the entire front end and dash from the 90 in mine so I will get the wiring done easier. If you can find an 85 or 86 EFI truck, you will be able to get the air cleaner mount and windshield washer/coolant overflow tank setup. There are some changes between 86 and 87 on the wiring that will probably cause some problems. The ECM in 85 and 86 mounts in the cab near the steering column, in 87 up it mounts in the left kick panel area. The EFI harness in 85-86 runs through the firewall to the left of the recess in the middle of the firewall and connects inside along with the ECM, the power and fuel pump relays are located there. The fuel delivery system in the early models has a high pressure pump located on the leaft frame rail fed by low pressure in tank pump(s). I will post pictures and updates as my project progresses.

Old 03-08-2006, 03:37 PM
hotrob
Junior User
Hey, thanks for the info. I am very curious to see how yours turns out. I wouldn't mind using the dash out of a newer truck also so I would like to here how your project turns out. I will watch for your posts. If you want to email me that would be great too. Hotrob610@hotmail.com