The Next Generation For those ages 15-25.

Who spends their study halls in the metal shop?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Nathane
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who spends their study halls in the metal shop?

Im 16, sophmore at North High School... I've got an 82-f150,302, headers, dual exhaust, and 4WD

I'm a 2nd year metals/welding student, and our schools got a pretty good metal shop setup. We've got 6 lathes, 1 cincinatti, 1 bridgeport, 3 drill presses, 7 stick welders, 2 migs (1 digital), 8 oxyacetiline setups, 3 grinders, a 40 ton sheer, 2 bandsaws (vertical/horiziontal), a circle maker, and misilanious other things... Good setup, lots of evertything you could need...

I love it, seriously... Ive got a study hall 4th hour, right before lunch, and the actual class right after lunch. My s/h teacher trusts me enough to let me go after I check in. I usually go to the shop, work for 30 out of 50 min, and take a long lunch (or a nap at home)

Good stuff, I'll be spending more time in there, I just gotta goahead and gut my interior to fix the bad rocker, cab corner, and door piller (ugg)

Thats all folks, just wandering who else has a good shop setup at their school

~Nate

Old 03-04-2006, 01:19 AM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to go to auto shop on my study halls.

Old 03-04-2006, 02:12 AM
bassproguy07
Elder User
Our school has welding, i took it last year and im taking a 2 hour class next year and will get certified at the end of the year. I also get my pe credits for it so its cool. We have like 20 sticks, 8 millermatic 251 mig welders, a miller tig, a plasma cutter, an oxy acetylene cutter a drill press, and i think thats it. We only build trailers barbecue pits excetera, no need for band saws we do have a buncha chopsaws and stuff but no big fabrication stuff except for welding

Old 03-04-2006, 01:26 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
I wish our school had that kind of stuff. Its too PC around here, school would get sued as soon as some idiot cut off there arm or something. And I don't think there would be too much interest in it at my school anyway. I'd like to learn metal working skills myself though.

Old 03-04-2006, 01:31 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
I have auto shop this year, took metal shop/welding last year and ICC (intro to construction) freshmen year. We have an 8 period A/B day schedule, four classes one day, four classes the other day. I have early release on the last period of both days, so I spend an hour and a half just playin' around in there workin' one of the cars we're restoring.

Old 03-04-2006, 04:31 PM
Nathane
Elder User
Originally Posted by captain p4
I wish our school had that kind of stuff. Its too PC around here, school would get sued as soon as some idiot cut off there arm or something. And I don't think there would be too much interest in it at my school anyway. I'd like to learn metal working skills myself though.
Yeah, 2 people got hurt last year. One guy tried to hold down a peice of metal that was too short to be held down by the shear... cut his hand pretty good (sheer didnt hit his hands, but the metal tipped up, and pinched/cut his pretty bad)

And a goth kid was working on a lath, and got his really long thumbnail removed by the chuck, because he tried to ajust it when he was high, and the machine was running

nobody sued, and it was both of their falts anyways (goth kid might have, but they would have done a urine test first)

Getting scary with all the lawyers, what happened to "get hurt, its your falt for being stupid"?
~Nate

Old 03-04-2006, 09:21 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Nathane
Yeah, 2 people got hurt last year. One guy tried to hold down a peice of metal that was too short to be held down by the shear... cut his hand pretty good (sheer didnt hit his hands, but the metal tipped up, and pinched/cut his pretty bad)

And a goth kid was working on a lath, and got his really long thumbnail removed by the chuck, because he tried to ajust it when he was high, and the machine was running

nobody sued, and it was both of their falts anyways (goth kid might have, but they would have done a urine test first)

Getting scary with all the lawyers, what happened to "get hurt, its your falt for being stupid"?
~Nate
Its always someone else's fault these days apparently..

Old 03-05-2006, 01:30 PM
KingRachPrincess
Elder User
Study halls?? You people have study halls?? Thats not fair!! I don't have study halls yet. Oh Well!! lol

Old 03-05-2006, 09:02 PM
handyman43358
Postmaster
Aren't you still in Middle school though?

Old 03-05-2006, 09:16 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
man, i just realized we don't have study halls either! closest things we get are student aids where we run around and do stuff for the teachers all period.

Old 03-05-2006, 09:16 PM
KingRachPrincess
Elder User
Maybe i am..... but still. people at my school have study hall. i get study hall next year!!

Old 03-05-2006, 09:19 PM
handyman43358
Postmaster
We didn't have study hall in Middle school...... or maybe we did.... hell it's been too long ago. Just proud to be a senior! Gonna miss seein all the people though...

Old 03-05-2006, 09:25 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
We don't have study hall at all here. It's non-existant.

Somebody explain to me how a middle school kid got an awesome truck lol. j/k.

Old 03-05-2006, 10:00 PM
KingRachPrincess
Elder User
Originally Posted by RangerPilot
We don't have study hall at all here. It's non-existant.

Somebody explain to me how a middle school kid got an awesome truck lol. j/k.
That sucks that you don't study halls. And I don't have my own truck. I dont have a king ranch either. its my dream truck. lol

Old 03-07-2006, 04:33 PM
twin66
Senior User
hell, our shop had everything, lathes, bandsaw, welders, torches. Unfortunately there was only a couple of each, and not the greatest quality. My spares (we dont have study halls in Canada) included annoying the shop teacher (he was cool with it) or just leavin school, goin to someones house and watchin a movie or gettin drunk.

Just out of curiosity, who has shown up to school after drinkin? My brother got a 3 day suspension for gettin caught, but during a movie one day i mixed some rye and cokes for the movie...it was a good movie...of what i remember...lucky nobody smelled it that cares

Quick Reply: Who spends their study halls in the metal shop?