Sponsored by: DP Tuner

high boost numbers? / van turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 04:17 PM
bigpowerstroke
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
high boost numbers? / van turbo

I have heard of other guys with similar mods that I have get 30psi boost, I have only reached 26-27psi. Is this possibly because of a leak or am I needing to upgrade the turbo to reach these numbers? I am on the hunt for a Van Turbo... Is it ok to get a used one from a junkyard or try to find a rebuilt?

Old 02-27-2006, 05:38 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigpowerstroke
I have heard of other guys with similar mods that I have get 30psi boost, I have only reached 26-27psi. Is this possibly because of a leak or am I needing to upgrade the turbo to reach these numbers? I am on the hunt for a Van Turbo... Is it ok to get a used one from a junkyard or try to find a rebuilt?
Have u adjusted the tension on the wastegate spring? Have u checked all your boots for leaks and tighness? The Intake 5 way pipe can leak air because of surface imperfections/protrusions. These can easily be filed down.
Nut

Old 02-27-2006, 05:43 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My honest opinion is that the boost relief valve you are running will bleed off enough air to not see more than that. I could easily see 30 psi on mine, but I have a regulator on the MAP line, not a relief valve. The regulator won't bleed air out. You could also have some other small boost leaks, perhaps around the boots or even in the intercooler. A few small leaks can add up to several psi of lost boost. However, I wouldn't push that stock turbo past 25 psi. You're risking some good bit of damage to the engine that way due to the backpressure built up before the turbo. You're on the right track by wanting to go to a van turbo. Unless your turbo is shot and in need of replacement, a cheaper option would be to get the 1.15 AN non-wastegated housing from Shop Diesel. That will essentially turn your turbo into a van turbo, and leave you enough money left over to get an ATS housing. Look in my Turbo Upgrades gallery. I'm in the process of doing that exact thing to my truck now.

Old 02-27-2006, 05:44 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by PSNut
Have u adjusted the tension on the wastegate spring?
Forgot about that too. Mine was cranked down to the point that I don't think it ever opened.

Old 02-27-2006, 06:38 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jtharvey
Unless your turbo is shot and in need of replacement, a cheaper option would be to get the 1.15 AN non-wastegated housing from Shop Diesel. That will essentially turn your turbo into a van turbo.
this is the same thing i am doing. a simple swap of the ehxaust housing and an adapter for the turbine outlet to downpipe flange, and voila, a VAN TURBO.

i got mine from shopdiesel also, and it was $399 with shipping. the DieselInnovations turbine outlet adapter was $100.

Old 02-28-2006, 11:52 PM
bigpowerstroke
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i had found a rebuilt van turbo on ebay that auctioned for 310.00, I wish I would have bid on that one, It looked brand new with the EBPV already there.

BTW jtharvey, did you ever get a EBPV housing from shopdiesel that fit.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:23 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bigpowerstroke
BTW jtharvey, did you ever get a EBPV housing from shopdiesel that fit.
Well, the EBPV they sent me bolted up to the 1.15 exhaust housing, but the flange was too small. So, I had the flange cut off my stock EBPV and welded onto the one I got from SD. There isn't an EBPV made that will bolt right up to the housing and fit our downpipes. SD told me it would, but come to find out they hadn't actually checked it. Their claim is that they were mis-informed. I just got it back this afternoon from the welder and literally just came back from the test drive after putting it all together. The 1.15 exhaust housing combines with the ATS, my surge is GONE!! I'll have more on it in the next couple of days, but from what I can tell I like it and would do it again. I'm taking the PSD on a short trip tomorrow though, so I'll be able to evaluate it more then. I'll put up a new post about it later, but it's late, I'm tired, and I've got a long day tomorrow, so I'm off to bed.