Modular V10 (6.8l)  

PCV valve sucking oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 07:37 PM
PurerockRacing
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PCV valve sucking oil

New question related to the PCV valve, the elbow, leaks, hoses, etc. What would you guys say if I told you I have OIL dripping out of the PCV hose? Oil seems to be getting sucked out of the valve cover and into the intake. Previously, I thought my PCV valve was bad, and after checking it, it was bad. I have a new PCV valve (the right one for this engine), and it's still doing this. Stuck my finger down in the valve cover hole and there is a baffle in there. So, how can oil be sucked up thru the PCV valve and into the intake? This explains why I am always a qt. low on oil. This doesn't burn oil, it's sucking it out of the valve cover. Oil into the intake causes the octane of your fuel to drop dramatically...has anyone ever had this issue with their V10?

Old 02-10-2006, 07:39 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
well oil fumes are sucked through there. but the statement about lowering octane is false.

Old 02-10-2006, 07:56 PM
PurerockRacing
Senior User
hmmmmmm, well on the 3.8L Mustang forum, there was a post about that engine's defective valve cover, which due to a lack of a proper oil baffle in the valve cover allowed oil to be sucked into the intake. This caused a chronic detonation problem with that engine, as well as abnormal oil usage, and restricted performance (in certain years). Ford released a TSB, and made a new valve cover with the correct baffle which corrected the problem 100%, or you could fabricate your own baffle, make a screen filter or whatever, or disconnect the PCV valve completely, and that solved the problem as well. Anything to keep the oil from being sucked into the intake plenum. I know, cause I had one of those 6 cyl. mustangs that used oil and pinged from the day we bought it new. Right now, a friend of ours now owns it, PCV valve is disconnected until smog time, and the intake port is capped off. The engine has twice the power, uses no oil, and no detonation. I don't know for sure what is true about the oil causing the lowering of octane or not, but that is what was posted, and it worked for me as well as many other people on that site. So I was just wondering about this on my V10. Maybe I have a freaky situation with mine, who knows. I don't think I should have oil running out of that hose.

Last edited by PurerockRacing; 02-10-2006 at 07:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-11-2006, 11:02 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with you PurerockRacing...you shouldn't have that much oil being sucked in to the PCV area.

Question(s):
What weight and brand oil do you use?
What year is your V10?
How many miles?

biz

Old 02-11-2006, 11:27 AM
PurerockRacing
Senior User
I have Castro Syntec 5w30 in there, 2001 V-10 with 48,751 miles on it. Just replaced the PCV valve about 3 weeks ago. It had the original PCV valve and you could blow and suck air thru it (it was no good). The new you can only suck air thru (hope that is correct). When I removed the complete hose and valve, I actually had oil dripping from the intake housing and from the hose at both ends and from the valve itself. That's not right, but like I said in my previous post, my brand new 2000 3.8L Mustang did the same thing the day I drove it off the lot.

Old 02-11-2006, 04:10 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Here is a couple of things to check, first check and make sure that your dipstick has a good seal and that its all the way in the tube, next check the hose and plastic fitting that is on the left bank. The hose goes up to the air intake tube.

I had a oil consumption problem on my work truck and it was a combination of not getting the dipstick all the way back in and the fitting on the left side was leaking. The leaks allowed the PVC valve to draw to much air and oil vapor though the motor and into the intake by way of the PVC valve.

If they are OK take off the oil fill cap with the motor running and race the motor, if oil vapor comes out the fill tube you are getting ring blow by and thats not a good thing.

Denny

Old 02-11-2006, 05:11 PM
BareBones
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks rvpuller, great diagnostic technique....... just hope I never need it!

Old 02-12-2006, 11:26 AM
DJR 17
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What does oil vapor look like? Are we talking oil smoke? I had to replace the hose and pcv valve just recently hoping that would cure my ping issues. There was oil all over the old hose, and I had to tear the damn hose apart to get it off, but I think it had to be leaking or why the oily residue. I would love to be able to run regular unleaded in this truck!

Old 02-13-2006, 10:43 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Since we know synthetics do boil off some, and it goes up the PCV, I wonder how much of the "volatiles" re-condense in the PCV system after they cool off a little?

Old 02-13-2006, 10:55 AM
PurerockRacing
Senior User
isn't the baffle inside the valve cover suppose to keep "most" of the liquids from getting into the PCV valve? I think that is what the baffles are intended for. Fumes are one thing, but actual oil is another. The driver side valve cover hose has no oil in it at all. There must be one heck of a vacuum pulling thru the PCV valve. By the way, PCV valves are suppose to be one way valves. Are they all made to flow air in towards the intake full time or should it be the other way. I am trying figure out how and when the valve would close off. The new PCV valve I got flows air in full time, and blowing back out towards the valve cover, it closes off. Since there is vacuum all the time connected to intake, air would never flow back the other way, so the PCV valve would never close (at least that is how I am picturing this).

Last edited by PurerockRacing; 02-13-2006 at 10:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-13-2006, 10:59 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
That's the way it's supposed to work.

I wonder if the baffle in your valve cover has something wrong with it?

Old 02-13-2006, 11:20 AM
PurerockRacing
Senior User
I don't know. I stuck a small screw driver down in the PCV gromet and can feel the baffle in there, stuck my little finger down in the hole and baffle was wet with oil. I assume some oil would get up in there, how much is normal, I have no clue. This is very puzzling. Some have said excessive engine wear would cause this condition as well. If my engine had 150k or more miles on it, then I would think I would be able to visably see blow by smoke coming from the valve covers if that were the case, however with only 48,750 miles on my engine, I have to rule out that as a cause. Dip stick seals nice and tight, same with the oil filler cap. All related PCV system hoses are good, tight and look like new.

Old 02-13-2006, 01:27 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would be looking at ring blow by.the pcv is doing its job. oil vapor will condense in the tubes after cool down. This why the Iac gets carboned also its only oil vapor solidified.
How many miles on this vehicle???
Make sure that the proper amount of oil is being used also.If the vehicle is high mileage and more than one owner.Maybe different brand oils used caused sludging, which keeps oil from flowing back through the heads back to the crankcase.
Keeps the vapor in the area of the pcv .
Just a thought.
Rich

Old 02-13-2006, 01:52 PM
PurerockRacing
Senior User
I only have 49k miles on it. I am the second owner. The original owner had it serviced 2 times at Ford. Currently there is 6 quarts of Syntec 5w30 in it. Oil level is a hair below the full mark on the dip stick The only thing that was ever replaced was the power steering pump. Anyhow, when I found the oil in the PCV tube, valve and intake port, it was right after I got home from work. Engine was still hot. It could not have been more than 5-10 minutes when I pulled off the valve and tube and found hot oil dripped from each end. I guess I'll double check all the PCV system components again, and maybe pull the passenger side valve cover and see what's up in there.

Last edited by PurerockRacing; 02-13-2006 at 01:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-13-2006, 05:52 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is this truck stock? No funny intake mods on it?
Rich

Quick Reply: PCV valve sucking oil