Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Any close who can help me out !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 12:39 AM
leftnutt34
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Any close who can help me out !!

Any one live in Idaho and can help me out with old brownie !! my 90 aerostar . starting give me promblems that are kicking my butt could use some help or hand holding for a proper farewell .. heater not working high idle still back brakes sticking when cold or wet outside. ect ect..

Old 02-07-2006, 01:42 AM
93nighthawk
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would post a request for help over at the NW Chapter of FTE, https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=89

When I found my Aerostar (in Boise, ID) I sent an SOS over there to have someone check it out for me before driving 1,000 mi to buy it. Within a couple hours I had a guy checking it out and taking pics of it for me.

In the meantime,

heater not working

Are the heater hoses getting hot (both of them?) Is the vehicle getting to operating temp?

high idle still

Did you clean/replace the IAC? Have you reset the computer if you have?

back brakes sticking when cold or wet outside.

Is this happening after the * has sat for a while outside with the e-brake on? Has there been a brake job done recently? What conidition/level is the brake fluid at?

ect ect..

What else?

Last edited by 93nighthawk; 02-07-2006 at 01:48 AM.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:54 AM
leftnutt34
Junior User
Thanks will do that.
heater hoses are hot temp fine.
on the high idle yes and yes
on the breaks fluid levels fine breaks have not been done in a while.

Old 02-07-2006, 02:07 AM
93nighthawk
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heater hoses are hot temp fine.

Do you get any more heat on floor or defrost? Is the Heater core original? Recent flush of the cooling system?

on the high idle yes and yes

Have you checked for other vacuum leaks? You might want to look under the dash (in the cabin) and make sure all the vac hoses are connected/decent condition. (This would also explain the high idle.) The door that shuts off the heat when you have A/C on may be stuck closed.

on the breaks fluid levels fine breaks have not been done in a while.

Is this happening when you use the e-brake? Or it does not matter. One theory I have going on is that there is water in the system and it is freezing causing the rear breaks to engage. The other is that the e-brake is sticking and the water/ice is causing the lines underneath to stick or the return spring is sprung out.

Old 02-07-2006, 02:42 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
Does the air distribution operate? It seems to me Nighthawk is right! You probably have a vacuum leakage and your air distribution servos do not operate. Usually in case of this trouble warm air blows on windshield only. Can you feel it?

The best way to find a vaccuum leakage is to try to hear zzssssssszzz sound and to disconnect and close it... Some hoses are under the cover of instrumental cluster. It is not difficult to remove it, you neen a short philips scr.driver to losen 3 screws uder the windshield.

Old 02-07-2006, 03:23 AM
leftnutt34
Junior User
i had a shop take a look at it once . when it was in there for something else they fixed something in the heat switch because it would not go up all the way now it does but no real heat any where. some out the defrost i don't hear any zzssssszz sounds. the shop told me he thought my mixing box was shot whatever that means. and on the idle when its warm outside it does it way more than if its cold. has done it at all this winter so far but soon as it gets warm again it will.

Old 02-07-2006, 03:52 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
May be vaccuum hose is not connected to vaccuum reservouar under the hood (pass.side). Check the IAC before. Remove a solenoid (2 screws) and start the engine. Press at the pin (idle will increase). What a result?

Does the temperature door move (cabel controlled)?
But it seems to me, the first vesion is more probable.

Old 02-07-2006, 05:34 AM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
with engine hot, both heater hoses at firewall have to be hot, one moreso than the other for any hot air out the heater....there is a heater hose valve at heater firewall that may not be working or is plugged
nighthawk and pablo have you covered on high idle, IAC or vacuum leak/line problem....plenum and intake manifold bolts and gaskets loose/hole....

brakes.....aerohawk has it pegged....water/moisture in brake lines and cylinders/calipers...pull cylinders/calipers and remove pistons...clean, inspect for rust, replace damaged parts....flush out brake lines before putting back on cyls/calipers
also lube the shoe slide points on baking plate with special high temp brake lube...use the same lube on front caliper pins and slides...critical to lube in high moisture areas...lots of rust and corrosion

after 40 days and 40 nights of rain/snow and freezing weather we are lucky to have any brakes in the Pacific NW

Last edited by 96_4wdr; 02-07-2006 at 05:37 AM.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:30 AM
leftnutt34
Junior User
ok but will check the heater promblem i get some heat just no air and the fan motor does work. everything is hot. on the idle this is not like a little idle up like your trying rev it up or something this is like its floored all the way to the board here i did IAC checked for vacum leaks and just about everything else i could read up on here. unless i missed something. i still don't got it. and seems to do it when its hot outside more than when its cold.

Old 02-07-2006, 09:00 AM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
look for a problem with the cruise control linkage to throttle body and also the throttle cable mechanism especially the return

Old 02-07-2006, 10:38 AM
copper_90680
Postmaster
Leftnut:

You should have asked this question 15 years ago when I lived in Idaho Anyway, I think we'd better tackle the problem one at a time, or it'll get too confusing.

On the throttle body there are two cables. One is connected to your gas pedal. The other one is the cruise control cable coming off a round, kind of flat thingy behind your battery. Disconnect that one from the throttle body and see if that solves your idle problem. Once we are done with your idle, we'll take care of the heat. How does that sound?

Old 02-07-2006, 12:58 PM
leftnutt34
Junior User
sounds good. but i don't have cruise control. its a plain jane aerostar with 5 speed 3.0.

Old 02-07-2006, 01:09 PM
copper_90680
Postmaster
Do you have two cables on the throttle body butterfly valve lever?

Have you tried to pull the code from it? Not all codes would throw a light, so you might have one stored in there.

Old 02-07-2006, 09:54 PM
leftnutt34
Junior User
i believe there is only one cable its dark right now i will check in the morning to make sure and a few other things . how do you pull codes. i really wish someone was close so i could learn from a master

Old 02-07-2006, 10:07 PM
leftnutt34
Junior User
ok theres something i think i need to try to make clear here on the high idle because i am not sure its getting a cross and it just seems like it might be important to what might be wrong with it. not trying to be smart . and i am not real good with cars that is why i am here. but the high idle only happens if its about 70 and above outside the hotter the worse it is. its like someone is standing on the gas pedal. if it 65 or lower it works great might do it 1 time out of a 100 and then not for long when hot it high threw all the gears until 5th of course. its a 5 speed. i try real hard to take what you guys say on here and picture it in my mind and go do it on my van but it does not alwys work just the way my mind works. i was in a car wreck once and its never been the same since so please bare with me. one of the reasons i was asking if anyone was close and could help me in person. but i am thankful so far for all the help and keep it comming.