Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MBRP 4" or 5"?

Old 02-05-2006, 10:04 PM
generalee31184
Senior User
generalee31184 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Smile MBRP 4" or 5"?

2000 f350, Im going to be getting an mbrp exhaust for my truck and am wondering which to go with. 4 or 5"? whats the difference going to be? I want it to sound really good. As of now it is stock. Wondering what else i should do or go with. Im not going to go nuts with mods. but know there is are a few fairly simple, cheaper mods that can be done. such as!? It is my everday driver and the most i might do is a couple truck pulls in the summer. Really would like to get a little better MPG outta it also. Was thinking, exhaust, air, and maybe a hypertech programmer? just wondering others opinions. thanks!

Old 02-05-2006, 10:37 PM
jtharvey
Post Fiend
jtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to all
4" will flow plenty of air and keep your EGT's down with mild mods like you are talking about. A 5" will give you more sound, and help a little more with EGT's, but more sound is not necessarily what everyone wants. The guys with a 5" will tell you they love them. I have a 4" and am completely happy with it, and have no desire to go to a 5" system.

As far as other mods go, first thing you'll want to do is get a set of good quality guages so you can monitor some of the vitals on your truck. You'll want an EGT guage, trans temp guage (if your's is an automatic), and usually a boost guage is a nice addition, but not 100% necessary. Then the intake like you said. Run a search for the Kwik filter or NAPA 6637, it's the same setup. You can't beat that one for more airflow and not costing a lot. Then I would go with a chip over a programmer. A DP tuner chip, made by Jody Tipton is what I feel a better way to add some more power to your truck. Go to http://www.dp-tuner.com to get some more info and options. A lot of the guys here who were running tuners (Diablo Predator, Edge, SCMT, etc..) have been ditching their programmers in favor of a chip, or at least they'd like to. I will be doing so very soon. However, if you want a programmer, I stay away from Hypertech. Not that they're all that bad, but for your money you can get a lot better. Some of the ones I mentioned before are good ones to choose.

A few other mods to consider, if you have an automatic, get a sonnax kit or a BTS valve body. The sonnax is cheaper, but the BTS should perform a little better.
The CCV mod is also a very popular thing to do to your truck. Cheap, easy, and it cleans up the intake a lot. A SS HPX line will also help to smooth out the truck and make it idle a little smoother. Look at my sig to get some ideas on things to do. Run a search on some of these things and you'll probably find enough info to keep you busy all night reading. And as always, if you have any questions, please don't be afraid to post a question. Welcome to FTE!!

Old 02-06-2006, 03:56 AM
Kwikkordead
Post Fiend
Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by generalee31184
2000 f350, Im going to be getting an mbrp exhaust for my truck and am wondering which to go with. 4 or 5"? whats the difference going to be? I want it to sound really good. As of now it is stock. Wondering what else i should do or go with. Im not going to go nuts with mods. but know there is are a few fairly simple, cheaper mods that can be done. such as!? It is my everday driver and the most i might do is a couple truck pulls in the summer. Really would like to get a little better MPG outta it also. Was thinking, exhaust, air, and maybe a hypertech programmer? just wondering others opinions. thanks!
5" exhaust! You won't regret it.

Old 02-06-2006, 05:06 AM
turboale
Senior User
turboale is starting off with a positive reputation.
To be different,
There is a guy in town that has pretty much every mod known to man on his truck (pulled/built the motor after a week of ownership) and he said he lost torque with the loss of that much back pressure and it just didn't feel right to him. He owns an exhaust shop, so there isn't really any reason for him to tell me he likes something cheaper. I'm not discrediting anyone here, I'm just relaying one man's opinion.

Old 02-06-2006, 05:52 AM
01f350
Senior User
01f350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
From everyting I have read and the people I have talked to, for performance you do not need anything over a 4" exhaust. Unless you have plans for big injectors, fuel mods, new turbo, etc. As for sound, well I guess that is up to you.

Old 02-06-2006, 07:50 AM
generalee31184
Senior User
thanks a lot for the info JTHARVEY! Like i said I am not going to go crazy with the truck but want to a play a little bit because I know I can. ha! I have a standard trans. just wondered what the CCV mod is and the other other thing there you said? not familiar with. Also what do you think about the 4" with the muffler delete or does it sound good with it? thanks!

Old 02-06-2006, 07:55 AM
generalee31184
Senior User
Hey I also just went in the dp website and am curious about what set up there i would want to go with? I like to idea of being able to select settings and change. What do I want to go with there? thanks

Old 02-06-2006, 10:13 AM
turboale
Senior User
turboale is starting off with a positive reputation.
Depends on what you are going to use the truck for.
Give Jody a call and he will not sell you something you don't want. If I were going with a 6pos chip I would get the 40tow(for heavy towing and around town use), 80 econ (for empty hiway) and the 120 for fun.

Though I will put up the *you need gauges first* before adding boost. You NEED to know whats going on under the hood, don't want you melting your rig!

Old 02-06-2006, 11:55 AM
jtharvey
Post Fiend
jtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to all
Originally Posted by generalee31184
just wondered what the CCV mod is and the other other thing there you said? not familiar with. Also what do you think about the 4" with the muffler delete or does it sound good with it? thanks!
Run some searches on the CCV mod and the others I talked about. Go to the top of this thread and you'll find the search link. Try the advanced search so you can search just this forum. The info on these mods has been typed out so many times before, you should be able to find some good readings.

Straight pipes are, again, a matter of opinion. I thought I liked mine, but then I hit the highway and the drone in the cab was just too loud. You had to practially yell to talk to a passenger. That's a problem for me because I do a lot of highway driving and towing with my truck. I put the muffler back in to cut down on the drone.

What positions you want on the chip, is, well yet another choice that is yours. There is no right or wrong settings to have on the chip. I think that Jody has between 4 and 6 positions available, I believe turboale only pointed out three. But like he said, call Jody and talk to him and ask for his ideas. He won't guide you wrong. But for an idea of what others are running, you can also do a search for the flip chip. There was a pretty recent thread about what positions the guys were running. For me personally, it's stock, high idle, 40 tow, 80 econ, 100 hp, and 120 hp.

Old 02-06-2006, 02:32 PM
luvemhot
Elder User
luvemhot is starting off with a positive reputation.
For me personally, it's stock, high idle, 40 tow, 80 econ, 100 hp, and 120 hp.[/QUOTE]

What do you use the high idle for?
Keith

Old 02-06-2006, 04:14 PM
jtharvey
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by luvemhot
What do you use the high idle for?
Keith
Right now, mainly just for faster warm up during cold weather. But it can have a variety of functions. Say you've added a welder or air compressor to your truck that works better with an engine speed that is slightly elevated from normal idle, then you can flip the chip to the high idle setting. The rest of the programming is stock, just the idle speed is different.

Old 02-06-2006, 05:14 PM
turbostroke
Senior User
turbostroke is starting off with a positive reputation.
Here is the part # for the 4" turbo clamp that connects the turbo housing and down pipe. Believe me if you don't have it you will need it and if you do have it you won't need it. Better to have it before you start then to wait 2 days to get one while your truck just sits. #4C2Z-5A231-HA

Last edited by turbostroke; 02-06-2006 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:17 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
PowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by turbostroke
Here is the part # for the 4" turbo clamp that connects the turbo housing and down pipe. Believe me if you don't have it you will need it and if you do have it you won't need it.....
you HAVE to have it, as the stock one is the one you reuse, and it isnt hard to get off at all. if it is being stubborn, at least it isn't in the hard to reach location like the up-pipe collector one behind the turbo.

Old 02-06-2006, 05:23 PM
turbostroke
Senior User
turbostroke is starting off with a positive reputation.
Unhappy

Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
you HAVE to have it, as the stock one is the one you reuse, and it isnt hard to get off at all. if it is being stubborn, at least it isn't in the hard to reach location like the up-pipe collector one behind the turbo.
If you re-use the stock one you don't need it- but if you bust up your stock one getting it off you WILL need it.

Old 02-06-2006, 05:29 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
PowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by turbostroke
If you re-use the stock one you don't need it- but if you bust up your stock one getting it off you WILL need it.
yeah, i didnt think of that. youre right, i shoulda never opened my trap. :-X

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.