1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Anybody tried the Holley Fuel Injection?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2001, 10:53 PM
atblis
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep putting off rebuilding my autolite 2150. Everytime I go in advanced I look at the holley literature. The concept sounds marvelous. However I've had a couple people tell me it's not worth the time/money. Anybody try this fuel injection setup? Did fuel mileage increase? performance? How big a pain in the ##### was it to setup?

Old 05-11-2001, 09:21 PM
atblis
New User

Ill take the complete lack of answers as a no. Anybody got any comments or perhaps secondhand knowledge they would care to share about the subject?

Old 05-11-2001, 09:29 PM
atblis
New User

oh yeah here is an article I found
http://yarchive.net/car/pro-jection.html
was before it was made "digital"
Not sure if he's recommending it or not

Old 05-12-2001, 01:59 AM
karljay
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holley just came out with a new version of the older efi setup. This new one includes a progressive 4V TB and should be more responsive. I know a guy that got one of the older ones a few years ago and he loved it. They are also excellent for offroad as they don't have fuel bowls to splash around. I think he reported about 10% increase in MPG but that would depend on how you tune it.

These are all TB type and I really like the multi-point type that have injectors for each cyl. One advantage of the multipoint systems is that you can port the intake smooth without worry about fuel drops on the intake. I'd check into some of the conversion kits for a multiport setup. At $1400 the holley is not cheap and seems a bit pricey for what it does, however it's a simple conversion and allows for easy tuning but still $1400 is a chunk of money for one engine part.

Old 05-12-2001, 10:59 AM
atblis
New User

The system I was looking at was somewhere between 700 and 800 bucks. Think it's only 2 barrel though?

Old 05-12-2001, 08:31 PM
karljay
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen those 2v versions. I don't think they benefit from the new upgrades as the 4v does. That price does change things a bit, $600~800 is not much more than a new carb. I almost bought one used for $400 a few years back, but passed because it wasn't digitally tuned via a PC and had the box with ***** on it for adjustments. It didn't have the spark control either.

In order to really benefit from EFI, it needs to be a closed-loop system, one that reads info from an O2 sensor to make adjustment to the fuel. Temp sensors for water and air are pretty much standard, but if I'm not mistaken, the Holley offers the O2 setup as an option on some of their units.

I'd check if that unit will use an O2 sensor and has the air/water temp sensors, if not, I'd pass on it and look into a pull from a junk yard. The nice thing about EFI is that the junk yards are getting a ton of them and I've heard the later mustang ones are fully tunable.

Old 06-17-2001, 10:44 AM
lowcountry
Senior User

Old 06-18-2001, 10:39 AM
crossbuck
New User

I've just installed a four-barrel 650DI on the 302 in my 82 F250. I've got a lot of tuning to do, but Holley provides all the software and it seems to be practically idiot proof (and it'll pretty much have to be!). There's even software to record engine parameters while you drive.

Cold starts (if you consider 90 degrees in Texas cold...) are instantanious, idle is smooth, and the engine seems to be loping at highway speeds. Highway mileage was my principal objective, so I'm happy there. The O2 sensor makes the kit. Tuning involves driving at a constant speed (5 mph for a minute or so and recording the results on a laptop, then 10 mph, then 15 mph, etc), checking the O2, MAP, and RPM, then adjusting the injection volume to a slightly rich condidtion. Save the new map and send it to the EEPROM and you're set. Best of all, if you totally crater a fuel map, you can reload the stock map and start over.

The speedo/odometer hasn't worked in the truck since I bought it 10 years ago, but it will be fixed as part of a tranny rebuild. I should have everything dialed in within a couple of weeks. If you're still interested I can post a follow-up.

After a couple of weeks, I'm totally happy with the Pro-jection.

I've also got a book at home with a chapter on retrofitting the stock Ford multipoint EFI. There's a company that make a wiring harness to "simplify" the job. Check the bookstores for books on Small Block Ford Performance.

Old 07-01-2001, 03:45 PM
Scot
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The EFI harness is available from Ford Motorsport.

Old 07-11-2001, 05:50 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't have as much info as the other guys, but two of the group of guys I wheel with have put the projection on. Both have less hair than when they started. The first to get it was a 87 ch...I can't write that, anyway with a 454. He couldn't turn over 4000 rpm. But since we mostly do rock crawling, and hill climbs, it was acceptable for rocks. That truck is going through major surgery as we speak. The next was a 78 F150 4x4 w/460. He put it on and couldn't turn over 2200. We tried and tried to get it dialed in. Had to go back to a carb for our last outing. Hasn't messed with it since. I hear they are great, and they damn sure idle at crazy angles, but they have yet to impress me.

RubberDuck