Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Power steering pump woes...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 07:54 PM
Bunkins
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering pump woes...

Been having a hard time with PS pumps..Truck is a '00 F-250 PSD..

My original pump lasted 150K, no noise, it just had some hard spots in the steering, replaced it because I was worried about someday not having any brakes..

Picked one up from a Ford dealership we deal with alot ( the company I work for, and myself ).. Bolted it up, and you talk about a hum, not a pressure sound like you hear when you turn the wheel lock to lock, a hum like the clearances in the pump are way to tight.. I called the dealership and told them, and told them I'd run it for 1K miles, if it didnt stop I want another one.. I ran it 1500 actually, and it never got better, if anything it got worse... Got another one.. Started the truck up, no hum.. So I drove home, did fine, till about the 5th stop I had to make.. Lost brakes and steering, then next thing I knew they were working again, but the pump had that hum again.. I drove the truck to the dealership the next day to let them listen to it.. When the truck idles, you can hear the pump over the engine, thats pretty bad with a 7.3.. They wouldnt give me another pump, said I'd have to have them check it out... I've got a problem paying a few hrs labor for someone to diagnois a screwed up pump... Like I said, it's not a pressure sound, it's a hum ( like gear noise )... If it was pressure, I say yeah there is something messed up, a stuck valve or something.. But not a hum... I'm a mechanic ( Transport Refrigeration Tech ), I've been working on Ford's since I was 13 yrs old, not to mention countless other vehicles.. I know Fords PS pumps suck, and I've replaced tons of them and never had one hum like these are... The fact my old one didnt do it, and still worked, but all these reman junkers are humming............ Just wondering if anyone else has found one doing the same thing... I'm getting about tired of it. I love that diesel sound, but you cant even hear the engine at idle, people look at ya funny too, and say "Hey man, your power steering pump is bad"..... Last thing the dealership told me was to stick some Lucas power steering pump additive in it.. I didnt want to, and didnt for a long time... Did it tonight, and the pump is even louder, and you cant turn the wheels when the truck is sitting still, before I could........... If I didnt need brakes I'd just take it off LOL, gotta have one though..

Old 02-01-2006, 06:04 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords.

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 02-02-2006, 10:41 AM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 112 Likes on 98 Posts
Sounds like it's getting air in it from somewhere. Hose or fitting leaking ?

Old 02-10-2006, 11:51 PM
Bunkins
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No leaks, and no air... I've tried flushing it many times, plus the normal proceedure to bleed air from the sys.. Fluid doesnt look foamy either......

Now, you cant turn the wheels at a stand still at all, before you could... I have a feeling it's getting ready to shell on me...

Old 02-11-2006, 02:19 AM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There's something about ford PS pumps, I put a new pump in my mothers 97 taurus, and it makes a lot of noise, it has gotten a little better over the years, but it always sounds like it is low on fluid. Most ford pumps purchased at parts stores come with a disclaimer stating the pump may be noisy for the first 500 miles. The pump I put in my 67 stang finally quieted down after a couple hundred miles. To have a pump run louder than a diesel is crazy though. Does your truck have the hydro brakes which stops you from pulling the pump? I didn't know they still used those.