Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Catalytic Converters

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 05:17 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
The newb raises a good point. Even so, every little bit helps. One vehicle is not enough to make a difference, but if everyone has that attitude, then we have a couple million people who each think their contribution is insignificant - and their contribution as a whole certainly does.

Do whatever you need to so that you can get a good night's sleep.

Old 02-02-2006, 09:58 PM
mike2112
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every bit does count. New reports are out on global warming and it is scary. I have been driving around in my '87 F-150 with true dual exhaust, performance mufflers and no cats for some time now. Next week, I am going to get a pair of Magnaflo cats and slap 'em on. They are designed for maximum flow and still maintain a legal amount of pollution control. Each of us should do our part.

Old 02-03-2006, 01:51 AM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to anyone who's worried about the children of the world, i will gladly send you my cats so you can run 4 of them to make up the differnce and to double the warm fuzzy feeling they give you inside.

everyday millions of people smoke millions of cigarettes, millions of cows fart which lets off "deadly" methane gas, people burn leaves and garbage, and lots of people drive their crappy oil burning imports. not to mention the other causes of polution that i cant think of at this time.

what im really saying is i bought my truck, its mine i should be able to do whatever i wanna do to it. i think the world as a hole has more important problems to worry about then the exhuast coming out of my truck. i also pay an arm and a leg for the fuel i put in to my truck, so if cuting of a stupid little pluged up can will save me money on gas im all for it

Old 02-03-2006, 02:13 AM
RotGrubestier44
Elder User
Originally Posted by jimbo beam
to anyone who's worried about the children of the world, i will gladly send you my cats so you can run 4 of them to make up the differnce and to double the warm fuzzy feeling they give you inside.
You can have my cats too. Make that six and tripple the fuzzy feeling. Besides, global warming is a shoddy excuse for why "we should all do our part". Look back at history. go look at a map (http://www.esterobeach.com/baja/images/mexico_map.jpg). the area next to Mexico north of Veracruz, notice how it dips in there? Well quite a long time ago (very disputable depending on your belief system, but proven fact nonetheless) a meteor struck the earth. Bad things happened. As a result we had an ICE AGE. the earth is still warming up from that. Its proven fact. I'd give you links to support it, but the proof is in science magazines. The fact that the earth is getting warmer isn't a result of exhaust, be it from factories, my truck's tailpipe, or a cows. We're (in essense) just a big glass of ice water melting in the sun.

Old 02-03-2006, 07:38 AM
93f250-44cepeks-olf-olf
Senior User
I put a pair of hi flow cats on my truck. Cost me about $100 for the pair. There is NO performance gain or increase in fuel economy by running straight pipes vs. high flow cats. Anybody who claims differently is full of BS.

If you take the time to do it right from the start, you don't have to waste one minute defending your poor craftsmanship when it's finished.

Old 02-03-2006, 07:45 AM
93f250-44cepeks-olf-olf
Senior User
Originally Posted by RotGrubestier44
You can have my cats too. Make that six and tripple the fuzzy feeling. Besides, global warming is a shoddy excuse for why "we should all do our part". Look back at history. go look at a map (http://www.esterobeach.com/baja/images/mexico_map.jpg). the area next to Mexico north of Veracruz, notice how it dips in there? Well quite a long time ago (very disputable depending on your belief system, but proven fact nonetheless) a meteor struck the earth. Bad things happened. As a result we had an ICE AGE. the earth is still warming up from that. Its proven fact. I'd give you links to support it, but the proof is in science magazines. The fact that the earth is getting warmer isn't a result of exhaust, be it from factories, my truck's tailpipe, or a cows. We're (in essense) just a big glass of ice water melting in the sun.
While your position on global warming may be accurate, global warming is not the only reason we should have clean air.

Old 02-03-2006, 08:24 AM
mike2112
Senior User
For those who DO have hi-flo cats, is there an opinion on running Dynomax's dual-in-dual-out (one cat for both exhaust pipes) as opposed to using two single-in-single-out (one cat on each pipe)? How about Dynomax in general? I have never used this brand for anything. Insofar as people deny human activity as the cause of the sudden spike in global temperatures (yes, the documentation clearly shows that global temps have been rising much faster since the advent of the industrial revolution), the only "scientists" who take this position are the hacks hired by the Bush administration to protect the oil companies and their relentless exploitation of fossile fuels. There are also "science magazines" which support the flat earth theory as well. Go figure.

Old 02-03-2006, 08:46 AM
s8whiskey
Elder User
[QUOTE=sivad1016]

It is predicted that China will quadruple their pollution load by 2020. What will Latin America do? Who knows?

[\QUOTE]

That was prodicted back in 1998. China has started a MASSIVE I mean 590 billion dollar massive (over the next 7 fiscal yeras) on the pollution. They started a hydro eletric dam that will bring down 43% of pollution. yes 43%. Do you have any idea how big 43% is. that will be a little over what LA has.

Old 02-03-2006, 08:53 AM
jhnhardee
Senior User
Seems really weird that so many people think that their presence on earth has no ecological impact on our society. Irregardless of mine or your opinions on global warming, there is plenty of prof out there to support the fact that what we do,don't do, produce, destroy,ect., has an interrelation to the environment around us.

Old 02-03-2006, 09:03 AM
s8whiskey
Elder User
Yes I agree we have made the earth dirty. Dont say destroy please. There is proof that there was volcanic activity that was 239% worse then what we have done. And the earth recouped. We need to calm it down and such but by no means are we destroying the earth.

Old 02-03-2006, 09:48 AM
jhnhardee
Senior User
Your right, destroy is a drastic word to use. I just feel that as caretakers of this we have a responseability.

Old 02-03-2006, 11:16 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I think that a meteor striking the earth and plunging it into an ice age lasting thousands of years is substantially more catastophic to the earth that our contribution to air pollution. The earth is an amazing machine - it naturally cleanses itself. It's not going anywhere, and it will still be here, supporting life, long after we have all killed ourselves with our nuclear bombs and our stinky air.

Old 02-03-2006, 05:44 PM
93f250-44cepeks-olf-olf
Senior User
Originally Posted by mike2112
For those who DO have hi-flo cats, is there an opinion on running Dynomax's dual-in-dual-out (one cat for both exhaust pipes) as opposed to using two single-in-single-out (one cat on each pipe)? How about Dynomax in general? I have never used this brand for anything. Insofar as people deny human activity as the cause of the sudden spike in global temperatures (yes, the documentation clearly shows that global temps have been rising much faster since the advent of the industrial revolution), the only "scientists" who take this position are the hacks hired by the Bush administration to protect the oil companies and their relentless exploitation of fossile fuels. There are also "science magazines" which support the flat earth theory as well. Go figure.
I have 2 cats in parrallel and 2 spintech mufflers in parrallel. I prefer this set up over the factory bottle neck 2 into 1 cat. The truck has much better accelleration since I did the exhaust.

Old 02-03-2006, 05:56 PM
mike2112
Senior User
Originally Posted by 93f250-44cepeks-olf-olf
I have 2 cats in parrallel and 2 spintech mufflers in parrallel. I prefer this set up over the factory bottle neck 2 into 1 cat. The truck has much better accelleration since I did the exhaust.
Just to be clear, I have true dual exhaust and saw that Dynomax has a cat which has two "in" ports and two "out" ports for the dual exhaust. I wasn't sure if that's what you meant when you said "2 into 1 cat." In any event, any opinions on Dynomax as a brand?

Old 02-03-2006, 06:01 PM
mike2112
Senior User
Originally Posted by s8whiskey
Yes I agree we have made the earth dirty. Dont say destroy please. There is proof that there was volcanic activity that was 239% worse then what we have done. And the earth recouped. We need to calm it down and such but by no means are we destroying the earth.
This much is true. What is rather unsettling is that while the Earth will remain in its orbit being Earth, it will be uninhabitable for humans. When the meteor crashed into the Gulf of Mexico, it wiped out the dominant life forms, the dinosaurs, which ultimately ushered in the age of the mammals and gave rise to humans. If we were to continue our ways without any regard to the overall health of our planet, we may find ourselves extinct. Of course, some other life form will rise to fill the void, but it has taken humans this long to get where we are, it seems like such a waste to commit self-extinction. Naturally, when the sun burns out in about 8 billion years or so, Earth's status will be questionable. But, that's another conundrum for another day. Peace.

Quick Reply: Removing Catalytic Converters