Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Catalytic Converters

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 11:15 PM
93f250tn
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally think cat. converters are BS... i think they should put more time and money into other things that actually pollute the air a descent amount. Cat. converters cause more problems then good on newer cars exspiecally, with all the extra wiring and computer problems. For example i took mine off my truck and it sounds the truck runs smoother just from taking the stock cat. off because looking inside the stock cat. its basically like a big muffler. Taking it off will make it drastically louder, but its a problem you wont have to worry about as far as mechanically like it getting clogged or such. If you have a muffler on the truck i wouldnt worry about it being to loud and getting pulled over and them asking if you have a cat. were they might if your just running straight pipes all the way back.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:15 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
Just get a high flow cat. A good high flow cat will not hurt performance. You can get a Catco for about 75 bucks. Look on ebay or Summit or JCW.

The more illegal stuff people do to their cars especially environmental stuff, eventually will make it harder for people to do stuff, because they will start cracking down on it. Therefor vehicle modifications will become harder to do. If the air quality worsens, at some point every state will be like California. I don't think we want that.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:39 AM
Haz Tanker
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike2112
Every bit does count. New reports are out on global warming and it is scary. I have been driving around in my '87 F-150 with true dual exhaust, performance mufflers and no cats for some time now. Next week, I am going to get a pair of Magnaflo cats and slap 'em on. They are designed for maximum flow and still maintain a legal amount of pollution control. Each of us should do our part.

Man made global warming as portrayed by Al Gore and the U.N. is total balderdash, all it is is a scheme to pad certain peoples pockets and tax the U.S. companies and the people through carbon taxes. How arrogant to think we have an impact like they claim, I'm old enough to remember the old pending man mad ice age that was imminent back in the early 70,s, where is it now? The very same bunch with the doom and gloom man made global warming report have a problem with the facts, the earth has heating and cooling cycles that date back way before the industrial age, the sun is what controls our climate, not man, if we can make global warming on the scale Gore and his fools claim how come they can't stop or control tornadoes or hurricanes?? Heck I'd settle for controlling a rainstorm, then you would convince me and a bunch of others.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:38 PM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
I have read things that say reports show our planet is now actually cooling. I don't think they know what is going on. I don't believe any of it. I will admit though that it is good to do things to reduce pollution and wasting resources.

I personally think that the main reason for cats is because many cars on the road are not kept tuned up and there for are not running right or have the CEL on. So having cats on them reduces their pollution more.

If a vehicle is tuned well and taken care of, when it is warmed up, it shouldn't have excessive emmisions.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:18 PM
nat13_3
Senior User
I have to say that I kind of hate my truck without the cat's. I often leave it running when loading it up with brush or hooking up a trailer and in the process end up inhaling some of the exhaust fumes, which are quite disgusting. With any of our other vehicles, that still have the cat on them doing work around the vehicle is much more pleasant.

So really I'd say whether to keep them or not should be based on if you do a lot of idling or not. If you are running a stock engine, I'd say that removing them will make a slight difference and if there clogged a lot.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:41 PM
Mjr. MIZREE
New User
Originally Posted by 93f250-44cepeks-olf-olf
little tubes? are you talking about the air injection ports? Yes, I connectected them to the pollution pump (air pump). Air tube was already in place, just had to add some tubing to make the connection.
Please explain a little more.
I have a 1991 F250 7.5L 4WD and spent the past week and a half stranded and trying every suggestion I could to fix my truck when it wouldn't start after getting gas.
I am no mechanic so I was at the mercy of everyone who I could ask for their opinion as I bought part after part trying to get rolling again. First was a fuel filter then fuel pump, then a fuel pump relay or eec relay, then MAP sensor, then IAC valve, then finally got pointed to the EGR valve and sensor.. so I took that all apart and cleaned it well. I found these rusted off tubes next to my Cat and one came from the EGR, so I thought I figured it out after tearing apart the EGR and seeing it is spring loaded and fed from the exhaust. My problem was how to reconnect the EGR tube, AIR tube, and O2 sensor to the rusted out cat. A little fabricating and JBweld later and my truck runs great again so I found my problem for sure.
Now I'm interested in just removing the cat, but unsure what to do with the EGR tube and AIR tube and O2 sensor, I don't want to just leave them open or the truck doesn't run for crap.
I saw your post about connecting them to the smog air pump, and thought I would ask for a bit more info. Where is the air pump located? which tube to which nipple in the air pump? can I just connect the AIR tube to the EGR tube? also, can I eliminate the O2 sensor? or where to mount it? Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:17 AM
Mjr. MIZREE
New User
  1. well now I have found that the pipe I thought was the EGR pipe on the CAT was not the EGR(the egr pipe goes straight to the exhaust manifold).
    when the pipe closest to the rear of the CAT is not connected the truck will not run well, will not idle without feathering the throttle, surges, no power, etc.
    the pipe closest to the front of the cat is loose and open but does not seem to affect anything.
    I am wondering if I can connect those two pipes together and have a good result.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:23 PM
Big_Al59
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Post is from 2006. Doubt any of the original posters are around anymore

Old 07-15-2019, 01:34 PM
Mjr. MIZREE
New User
Gotcha, thanks. thought it was worth a try.

Old 07-15-2019, 02:01 PM
Richard S
Posting Guru
Mjr. MIZREE . Well, I think you've done pretty good ~ finding the open lines, buy yourself ~ keep doing things like you are ~ and you will be a mechanic ```

Rich

Old 07-15-2019, 02:42 PM
Mjr. MIZREE
New User
Thanks so much for the encouragement. When you are poor, gotta figure out things for yourself sometimes.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:47 PM
torq'ta 5 8
Logistics Pro
Received 691 Likes on 512 Posts
Originally Posted by Mjr. MIZREE
Thanks so much for the encouragement. When you are poor, gotta figure out things for yourself sometimes.
do you have a thread started about issues? Our guru's will bend over backwards to you figure it out

Old 07-15-2019, 11:25 PM
eagle275
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
???? can't delete

Old 08-01-2019, 10:24 AM
nekkidhillbilly
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by mike2112
As it is a federal law, and, I suppose most, if not all, States have adopted at least the federal standard prohibiting the removal of cats, it is probably theoretically possible for you to get ticketed. But, as most local police don't really care about enforcing these kinds of laws on out-of-state vehicles, unless the cop is really pissed at you for some other reason, it probably isn't likely. Having said that, however, I would be just a little bit more cautious regarding traffic laws and bank robbery laws if I were to take my cat-less truck into an "inspection state." You never know how any particular cop is going to feel on any particular day.
vehicle laws go by state its registered in so if you vehicle is exempt say in ky from required to have them (25 years old or older) then it cant be ticketed in another state. now if its illegal in that state its registered it can be written out of state. you can legally remove a cat on vehicle that is not required to have them due to age legally if you state list it that way. clause for historic vehicles in the world basically. some states are more strict something you would have to check with the state laws.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:25 AM
nekkidhillbilly
Mountain Pass
but yeah it wont affect the truck by removing them as long as its not a 96 obii truck.

Quick Reply: Removing Catalytic Converters