Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder contribution tests

Old 01-25-2006, 06:45 PM
stockernavstar
Senior User
stockernavstar is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Cylinder contribution tests

In anyones experience , do most shops offer cylinder contribution tests, other than the dealership? I do Not want to go the stealership route on this one. What is a buzz box test? Which one do i need to test the injectors, for output? If its not an expensive diagnosis to perform , Id like to do it just as a tune up type thing.
I bought the truck with 100,000 on itIt was a one owner.The engine just doesntr seem to be firing loud at idle. Like Other PSD's that i hear! The other ones that I hear at idle sound like they have a setof b*lls. Mine just idles so qiet.And it doesnt have a crossover on the rails either. I usually dont like to diagnose totally with my ears but if my truck has original fuel pump on it will the pump fade in performance over time?

Is ther a way for me to check my fuel pressure aft the pump? And has anyone just taken there fuel pump off to just clean the litttle screen i keep hearing about,just as preventitive mantanaince. Running Rotella syn, Dk white bottle, other than thatr it is a stock truck.

Old 01-25-2006, 06:55 PM
blown99
Senior User
blown99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Any shop with a scan tool can perform an injector buzz test and a cylinder contribution test. The buzz test test the wiring and solenoids for the injector and IDM. The contribution test is used if you have a skip/dead cylinder and want to quickly locate the cylinder. Most likely will not show a problem if the engine is running smooth. The fuel pump can fade in time and or fuel pressure can decrease in time. It would definatly be worth installinga fuel pressure gauge and see what the pressure is under full load. PRessure should not drop off, and be 60-65psi.

Old 01-25-2006, 07:48 PM
Fat Diesel
Postmaster
Fat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud of
I wouldn't trust the buzz or CCT. Mine passed the buzz easily and showed #8 failing the contribution test when in reality it was #6 that had failed. The correct test for injectors is the Break-Out-Box test where you can individually turn off injectors to see the effect on the engine. Another name for it, especially at the dealer, is "Injector Performance Analyzer" test. Essentially it is just a set of 42 pin connectors that you plug in-line with the injector wiring and run wires to a control box with toggle switches.

For home use, the AutoEnginuity from ITP Diesel dat com can't be beat if you have a laptop or use of one. It will run the Buzz and CCT which are fun to run albeit fairly useless as well as switch tests. You can also measure and data log your High Pressure Oil Pressure or HPOP as well as any other sensor on the motor.

Old 01-25-2006, 08:10 PM
blown99
Senior User
blown99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The best way I have found to diagnose an engine problem is by graphing the fuel rate. Master Diagnostics (navistars diagnostics) is the only program that I know of that will let you graph the fuel rate. (can overlay graphs of RPM, ICP, Duty cycles, ETC.) I agree that the buzz test very rarely picks up a problem as it only checks the electrical continuity of the circuit when the engine is off. CCT can be done by the firing order and not always the cyl arrangment. I spoke to the navistar factory engine rep about this a few years ago as I ran into the same problem of a missdiagnosis. He stated that the engine ECM is what performs the test, not the scan tool, and that there were at the time variations of how the test was being completed, whether it be firing order or cylinder arrangment. The buzz test will help you identify which program you have.

Old 01-25-2006, 10:10 PM
Muktown
Posting Guru
Muktown is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Muktown is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
i would second the auto enginuity. it will test everything on your engine and some things you diddnt know were there. it is about 350 bucks and it hooks up to your laptop or pda. it will also test your glow plugs and do a cylinder contribution test

Old 01-25-2006, 10:23 PM
jtharvey
Post Fiend
jtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to all
I didn't know the Autoenginuity software could run the break-out-box test. That's awesome!!

Old 01-25-2006, 11:00 PM
PinkGear
New User
PinkGear is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by jtharvey
I didn't know the Autoenginuity software could run the break-out-box test. That's awesome!!
I'm still new to my AutoEnginuity software and finding out things that it will tell me but I don't think the breakout box is one of them. A breakout box is hardware, controlled by toggle switches, that is normally inserted on an existing plug ie the PCM. The software and OBDII interface doesn't come with this but it sure would be nice if it did.

Old 01-25-2006, 11:22 PM
jtharvey
Post Fiend
jtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to all
Originally Posted by PinkGear
I'm still new to my AutoEnginuity software and finding out things that it will tell me but I don't think the breakout box is one of them. A breakout box is hardware, controlled by toggle switches, that is normally inserted on an existing plug ie the PCM. The software and OBDII interface doesn't come with this but it sure would be nice if it did.
Well, we will find out. I just shot an email over to AutoEnginuity asking about the break out test, so I'll see what their reply is and let you all know.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:52 AM
jtharvey
Post Fiend
I got this email from AutoEnginuity:
We do have Powerstroke 7.3L and 6.0L support. We do have all the system tests like KOER, Buzz, Contribution Tests, etc. we donít have the ability to disable a cylinder with Ford. We have that for all GM and Chrysler.
Looks like we don't have everything. I wonder why they can't do it with the Ford??

Old 01-26-2006, 10:55 AM
guzzle92
Posting Guru
guzzle92 is a name known to allguzzle92 is a name known to allguzzle92 is a name known to allguzzle92 is a name known to allguzzle92 is a name known to allguzzle92 is a name known to all
I got this email from AutoEnginuity:Looks like we don't have everything. I wonder why they can't do it with the Ford??
All of the tests mentioned are actually performed by the PCM. The software only initiates the test. Most likely, the Ford PCM does not support it.

Old 01-26-2006, 11:13 AM
jtharvey
Post Fiend
I sent a reply to AE asking if they will be developing software or the capability to individually shut off a cylinder. Here's the response:
Actually you have me here. I thought only the 6.0L had this capability. I never knew the 7.3L could even do that. Since we are the Ford training tool I am surprised they havenít asked for that if it did.

Old 01-26-2006, 11:13 AM
Fat Diesel
Postmaster
Fat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud of
Sorry I wasn't clear on that, but no the AE will not do a break out. The break out box is a control box with 8 toggle switches, one for each cyl, with a wiring harness that gets plugged in in-line under the hood. It plugs in at the driver's side valve cover where the IDM wiring meets the motor harness. It's a 42 pin connector. You can buy this product for a grand or make one yourself if you're technically competent. I got my 42 pin connectors (the only hard part to find) both male and female from a Lincoln Mercury dealership. They are used on Explorers and Mountaineers as well as PSD's. I haven't made the b.o.b. yet, but I have obtained all connectors, pins, wiring, etc. I'm sure when my next injector fails, I will accelerate the program !

Old 01-26-2006, 11:18 AM
Fat Diesel
Postmaster
To address your original issue, most of us try to make our trucks idle quieter. That usually means tracking down air leaks in the suction side of the fuel pump or exhaust leaks. You are lucky if yours is quieter. If it runs good it's all good.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:05 PM
jtharvey
Post Fiend
From AE in my question as to whether they will be developing a break out box test for the 7.3:
The 7.3L doesnít support that without making a hardwired solution.
Which confirms what I am now reading that FatDiesel posted above.

Old 01-28-2006, 03:50 PM
stockernavstar
Senior User
stockernavstar is starting off with a positive reputation.
I guess what i really need to do is ride in another truck with stock get-up and six speed. The only otherr psd Ive ridden in is dads F-450 with 11 ft. mechs. bed on it loaded to the T its also an auto. Turbo is always spoolin on it and just seems real alive. Any way thanks guys for the new info on the tests. you guys are cool. Autoengenuity seems to be the way to go.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cylinder contribution tests

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.