Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Oil question

Old 01-25-2006, 11:56 AM
Maine_99SD
New User
Maine_99SD is starting off with a positive reputation.
Motor Oil question

I currently run Mobile 1 synthetic in my Diesel. The engine has 87,000 miles on it, all with Mobile 1 synthetic, other than the oil that was in it when I picked it up at the dealer the day I bought it.

At the Ford garage the other day, they told me that I should only be running the oil that Ford reccomend and that a fully synthetic oil is actually going to cause damage to my engine. Is this true? Or are they trying to get me to buy my oil from them, so thy can charge me the $200 for the oil change? The back of the oil quart shows it meetiung all of the ratings required by the owners manual.

Thank s All

Old 01-25-2006, 12:04 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
well yes and no. ford does not approve of 5w40 being used above 30 degrees and prefers 15w40 . the 5w40 will work fine. synthetics shine in cold starts and long OCI's but offer nothing else. you will notice synthetics show higher startup wear on most UOA's. Its becuase the oil being so pure and uniform and does not stick. so a tackifier is used to help it. also all but ester based synthetics come from crude oil , some people seem to think they're all made from thin air in labs this is just not the case.

Old 01-25-2006, 10:24 PM
Muktown
Posting Guru
Muktown is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Muktown is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
it sounds like they are just trying to get you to buy their oil

Old 01-25-2006, 10:26 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
200.00 is crazy! the motorcraft oil is only 1.99 a quart. you only need 15 plus a 12.00 filter. so less than 45.00 where do they get 200.00?

Old 01-25-2006, 10:27 PM
Muktown
Posting Guru
Muktown is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Muktown is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
$150 for 20 minutes of labor

Old 01-25-2006, 10:31 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Muktown
$150 for 20 minutes of labor

sign me up for that job LOL. the guy doing the oil change makes about 5.00 and the stealership gets 145.00 yikes.

Old 01-25-2006, 11:30 PM
jtharvey
Post Fiend
jtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to all
There used to be some reports that switching to a synthetic will cause some oil leaks to show up. The theory is that the dino oil is thicker and may have caused some very minor swelling of seals. When you put synthetic in it, it is thin enough and didn't expand the seals, so it leaked. If you've been running synthetic since day 1, you should have nothing to worry about. I switched to synthetic at 100K, and have yet to have any problem show up. I think you're good to go.

Old 01-26-2006, 11:49 AM
Maine_99SD
New User
Maine_99SD is starting off with a positive reputation.
Synthetic oil for 1.99 a quart? Besides, Ford is telling me to NOT ruin synthetic. I apologize, they wanted like $175 for the oil change. But I rounded up, because they always find somehtign else to rope you on.

Thanks all for who responded.

Old 01-26-2006, 04:46 PM
yeat
New User
yeat is starting off with a positive reputation.
Danged ole Rotela 5 danged ole 40 Synthetic man. With a danged ole K&N Oil Filter there man. What ya using that danged Mobil 1 there man. That danged ole Mobil man, dont they support that danged ole Aparthied there man. Talkin bout that danged ole Nelson Mandella there man. Talkin bout that danged ole Winnie there man. You know what I'm sayin there man?

Old 01-26-2006, 04:59 PM
jtharvey
Post Fiend
jtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to all
Originally Posted by yeat
Danged ole Rotela 5 danged ole 40 Synthetic man. With a danged ole K&N Oil Filter there man. What ya using that danged Mobil 1 there man. That danged ole Mobil man, dont they support that danged ole Aparthied there man. Talkin bout that danged ole Nelson Mandella there man. Talkin bout that danged ole Winnie there man. You know what I'm sayin there man?
No I don't know what you're danged ole sayin.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:04 PM
RushN350
Senior User
RushN350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by yeat
UHH...Not exactly. On another note, I really wasn't impressed with the synthetic at all and have since switched back to dino. I can't see $75 an oil change for rougher starts in the mornings.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:07 PM
jtharvey
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by RushN350
I can't see $75 an oil change for rougher starts in the mornings.
Rougher starts??? What oil were you using? My starts, especially when cold outside, got a lot easier when I switched. Both the Rotella 5-40 and Mobil 5-40 gave easier starts.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:56 PM
RushN350
Senior User
RushN350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by jtharvey
Rougher starts??? What oil were you using? My starts, especially when cold outside, got a lot easier when I switched. Both the Rotella 5-40 and Mobil 5-40 gave easier starts.
Rotella 5w-40. It still starts OK but it shakes and "romps" for alittle bit before settling to idle RPMs, Which is fine but... it never did that with plain old Castrol 15-40.

Old 01-26-2006, 08:14 PM
jtharvey
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by RushN350
Rotella 5w-40. It still starts OK but it shakes and "romps" for alittle bit before settling to idle RPMs, Which is fine but... it never did that with plain old Castrol 15-40.
Was there a big temperature difference outside during the time when you used the two oils? This is just very odd to me. I've not heard anything like this before. I mean, I'm not debating that it can't happen, because it obviously did to you.

Old 01-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Muktown
Posting Guru
synthetic oil should not give you rougher starts. it is thinner so it acts like dino oil that is warmer getting to all the engine parts faster on a cold day. i doubt it makes any difference in warm weather but it should start easier in the cold

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motor Oil question

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.