Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Owner loyalty

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 01:12 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Owner loyalty

There's lots of interesting tidbits here, but the most loyal owners of any segment are:
F-Series Ford Owners.

Link to chart

Link to complete article

Also interesting to note that Lincoln Town Car and Mercury Grand Marquis owners are second and third, behind the Ford truck people.

Old 01-20-2006, 01:15 AM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't find this surprising.

Old 01-20-2006, 02:33 AM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
How accurate are these surveys? I have no doubt in my mind that it is accurate...but I'm interested in knowing the methods of this survey.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:25 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Corrected Link

Corrected link to article

Old 01-20-2006, 10:04 AM
osbornk
Postmaster
I easily understand why the Town Car and Grand Marquis have a high owner loyalty. They are bought by people who want to remain with the traditional American full sized car that is rear wheel drive. They are loyal and repeat buyers because they have no competition in that type of car. GM and MOPAR are coming back to that kind of car but people tend to stick to what has stuck with them. A friend of mine has bought new Town Cars for years and has bought 7 or 8 new ones (at least). He got one that gave him problems several times and one day he got a call from the Lincoln representative that told him to go to his local dealer and pick him out a new car and only pay for any upgrades. He is a loyal customer for life and pays about $20,000 every couple of years to get a new Town Car that differs only in color.

Old 01-20-2006, 10:42 AM
okst1
Elder User
OK, please tell me why this is not some more American media propping up the japanese car companies. The sub-headline reads "Toyota Emerges as New Leader in Overall Make Loyalty". Why in the crap didn't the subheadline include that GM had the highest manufacturer loyalty? I personally believe that this is the continued bashing that American Automobile companies take. GM's numbers were much higher than Toyotas. From the vehicle segment, Ford had 5 vehicles listed, Toyota had four. There was no mention of this in the write-up. Everything in bold writing is written for Toyota.

Last edited by BigF350; 01-20-2006 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:13 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you guys notice the Toyota Camry as being the mid size car with the highest loyalty. Lets hope GM an Ford can break that record. Yup the F-series has the highest loyalty. I think they have won that award several times if Im not mistaken. GMs trucks are second highest i would imagine. Its really incredible that with all the competition out there that the two brands have managed to keep up there sales. Toyota would love to crack that loyalty rating a bit wouldnt. There coming out with a HD trruck to compete with the big boys. Lets hope they dont.

Old 01-20-2006, 03:16 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you dont like the answer, bash the messenger. Please, that racial slur is not appropriate here. Toyota markets fewer brands than DCX, Ford or GM, so sales are naturally concentrated. GM has far too many, IMO, but since they are the largest company, they win on a manufacturer basis, spread among many brands.

I have no brand loyalty and tend not to buy the same thing next time. Many others do, so be it. These surveys are valuable to companies that can put the information to good use in marketing and, hopefully, product development.

I grew up in a primarily GM family. After having pieces of an Oldsmobile interior fall off sitting in the showroom, my father walked over to the Toyota dealer next door and the rest is history.

Trucks/Vans I have personally owned/leased in cronological order:
Dodge
Chevy
VW
Ford
Toyota
Ford
Dodge
Chevy
Ford
Toyota

Old 01-20-2006, 04:04 PM
okst1
Elder User
"If you dont like the answer, bash the messenger."
I did.

"Please, that racial slur is not appropriate here."
You can choose to forget December 7, 1941 if you want to but I will NEVER FORGET.

"Toyota markets fewer brands than DCX, Ford or GM, so sales are naturally concentrated."
That still doesn't justify the slanted sub-heading.

"GM has far too many, IMO, but since they are the largest company, they win on a manufacturer basis, spread among many brands."
What does the number of brands have to do with them winning that sector? They won based upon the total overall corporation. It's a percentage not the total number. If a higher percentage of the Toyota/Lexus/whatever else they make vehicles were repurchases, then Toyota would've won that category. What this means is that people who buy Toyota's (any model) don't buy another Toyota as their next car as do people who buy GM's.

Old 01-20-2006, 04:17 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
What I found interesting was not the loyalty found in each individual vehicle - BUT the average loyalty displayed in each catagory.
For example the loyalty in the Full Size Pickup was 34.3%, but in sports cars it was only 9.5%

Old 01-20-2006, 04:28 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
You can choose to forget December 7, 1941 if you want to but I will NEVER FORGET.
Never forget ...but time to get past it~

Old 01-20-2006, 04:53 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
BigF350 What I found interesting was not the loyalty found in each individual vehicle - BUT the average loyalty displayed in each catagory.
For example the loyalty in the Full Size Pickup was 34.3%, but in sports cars it was only 9.5%

Confirms what we already know- truck buyers are the most loyal on the planet. The Sports Car crowd can go two ways- off to the next big thing, or to a completely different type of vehicle. I thought it was interesting that, in the world of cars, large cars and prestige luxury cars are the most loyal customers.

The disparity between SUV and pickup buyers is pretty striking too, isn't it?

Old 01-25-2006, 12:08 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
I would have thought the Compact Pickup category would have gone to the Ranger. They have a pretty good following. Maybe it didn't because there has been no significant redesign in a while.

-Matt

Old 01-25-2006, 12:51 PM
AlfredB1979
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Beast12
I would have thought the Compact Pickup category would have gone to the Ranger. They have a pretty good following. Maybe it didn't because there has been no significant redesign in a while.

-Matt
I bet dropping the 4 cylinder SuperCab for a few years didn't help matters. As well as my 2.3L SCab has treated me, and knowing that the 3.slow gets v10ish MPGs, and the new 4.0L has its growing pains, why would I go to a v6 or settle for a reg cab 4 cylinder when I drive about an hour to work each day?

Oh, if I wanted to have fun on occasion, at least Toyota, if not Nissan, still make 4 cylinder 4x4s.

Make what I want? I'll buy it. End of story, have a nice day.

And as for getting past the 40s...I did dump my 69 Beetle because of the Germans. (Joke)

Old 01-25-2006, 02:59 PM
petes79f150
Posting Guru
My BIL is a testament to owner loyalty- for several reasons. He buys nothing but Town Cars because he's 6'8" and 280 lbs, he spends a lot of time behind the wheel (50-60,000 miles a year) and it seems that the big old TC is a perfect target for inattentive drivers, having been in at least 3 wrecks that I'm sure would have been fatal if he were in a smaller vehicle. The '01 he's driving now has over 300,000 on it with only one tranny failure and a cracked intake manifold leaving him stranded, so I guess reliability fits in there, along with fuel mileage that is only a little shy of my wife's '96 Geo Metro 4-door. (Well, OK....28 vs. 35 hwy.)