1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting brake controller and overhead shelf question....

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Tym
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mounting brake controller and overhead shelf question....

I'm contemplating, not only which aftermarket brake controller, but where to mount it as well. I don't want it hanging off of some bracket under my dash, so I'm thinking about getting one of the "shelf-it" overhead consoles, mounting it there and running the wires up the A pillar (behind the trim, or course).

Anyone see a problem with this or have any cool brake controller mounting ideas?

I checked into the Ford integrated controller, looks trick, but I ain't shellin' out $700 bucks for it and the install....

TIA,
Tym

Old 01-19-2006, 11:16 AM
black350
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tym
Anyone see a problem with this or have any cool brake controller mounting ideas?
TIA,
Tym
I took out the trash bag-holder and fabricated a replacement panel for my prodigy:

Old 01-19-2006, 03:05 PM
04F250PSD
Junior User
I put mine in the self or cubby whole in the dash right of the steering wheel and down.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:12 PM
n9emz
Senior User

Originally Posted by black350
I took out the trash bag-holder and fabricated a replacement panel for my prodigy:
Thanks....been wondering what that doo-hicky is.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:26 PM
wlihntr
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by black350

isnt that kind of hard to reach if you want to manually activate the brakes?

mine is just hung under the dash but it is still not to obtrusive.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:56 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd put it in the little cubby hole

Old 01-20-2006, 06:21 AM
missouguy
Elder User
Originally Posted by wlihntr

mine is just hung under the dash but it is still not to obtrusive.
This is exactly where I put my Prodigy. That is the controller I would recommend, I have had several. Hardly know it is there unlless I need it.

Frank

Old 01-20-2006, 09:26 AM
Tym
Junior User
Thanks for the input guys! Does anyone have one of the overhead shelves? I think it may work best to keep stuff kind aup and outta the way. I've got one of the cobra remote mount CB's where all the controls are in the mic and you can move it from truck to truck, I think it would be nice mounted up on the shelf and outta sight outta mind as well.

How about removing the trim piece on the A-pillar on an '05? I figure I just take off the grab handle and the trim just pops off?

Everyone seems to like the Prodigy, I think I've seen that they cost more, so I guess they're worth it?

Thanks,

Tym

Old 01-20-2006, 09:51 AM
Jspafford
Senior User
Going to be kind of hard to use the manual override if you have an emergency. I sure wouldn't want to have to raise one hand way over my head if I was in a panic stop.. I don't think they look too tacky. Its not a matter of what they look like, function over form in this case.

To each their own.

Old 01-20-2006, 01:00 PM
Ruger01
Freshman User
I put mine controller in the cubby hole to the right of the steering wheel. I drilled a 1/2 hole in the back of the cubby to run my wires. Now, if I need to access the brake controller in a hurry I do not have to lean down or take my eyes off the road. I am using the Draw tite Activator II

Old 01-20-2006, 01:17 PM
black350
Junior User
Originally Posted by wlihntr
Perhaps a bit of a reach, but I really didn't want to drill holes, anywhere in the panel,
and as far as using the cubby, well, I'm using that to hold the mount for my wireless
rear-view camera monitor (1 camera is mounted at the back of my 5th wheel, with
a 2nd camera in the truck bumper).

Old 01-20-2006, 02:24 PM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Is that panel really a trash bag holder? If it is, I wonder what the Ford designer was smoking when he came up with that.

Old 01-20-2006, 02:46 PM
CyberJay
Senior User
I've heard it described as a purse holder... and that's exactly what mine gets used for. I told my wife the next time we make a right turn and her purse lands under my feet, it's going out the window. lol Now she uses the hook, and it works good.

-Jay

Old 01-20-2006, 02:46 PM
CmprSpecial
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tym
Thanks for the input guys! Does anyone have one of the overhead shelves? I think it may work best to keep stuff kind aup and outta the way. I've got one of the cobra remote mount CB's where all the controls are in the mic and you can move it from truck to truck, I think it would be nice mounted up on the shelf and outta sight outta mind as well.

How about removing the trim piece on the A-pillar on an '05? I figure I just take off the grab handle and the trim just pops off?

Everyone seems to like the Prodigy, I think I've seen that they cost more, so I guess they're worth it?

Thanks,

Tym
I mounted my Prodigy in the same place as wlihntr did. The small holes it leaves behind on removal can be repaired for just a few $$. I like it close and out of the way. Increased safety was my prime concern.

I have a shelf-it in my truck. Personally, I like it. I keep my CD case, a pair of golves and other small stuff in it. I will however say that it does hang down a bit below the top of the glass. Some people who drive my truck don't like that. I don't even see it. I am 6'1" and it works fine for me.

I don't like the way the visors mount to it. The shelf-it install instructions say to remove the original clips that secure the inside part of the visor and install on the shelf-it to keep the visors from hanging down. The SD visor clips are huge and would cause the visor to hang down too far. Besides, the stock visor clips would have to be modified to fit and would then be useless if the shelf-it was removed and you wanted to reistall them.

My solution was to get some old Honda visor clips from a friends race car (heck, he didn't need them anymore) and install them. They work great.

Old 01-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CyberJay
I've heard it described as a purse holder... and that's exactly what mine gets used for. I told my wife the next time we make a right turn and her purse lands under my feet, it's going out the window. lol Now she uses the hook, and it works good.

-Jay
Too funny, but I can relate....my wife's purse does that to!!!

And when the stuff falls out (thank god no kitchen sink) she blames me for making the turn... as if I only drive straight!! I tell her to use the hook or zipper her purse shut (seems simple to me).

Quick Reply: Mounting brake controller and overhead shelf question....