Sponsored by:

Water In Headlight Lens?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 09:01 PM
Fishallot
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water In Headlight Lens?

Today I noticed that I have water accumulating in the passenger side headlight lens. I've looked everywhere I can see without removing the lens from the truck but I can't see how it's getting in there, no cracks or holes are visible. It's a 96 XLT. Anyone have any ideas?

Rob

Old 01-17-2006, 09:25 PM
rbohm
Senior User
remove the headlight and inspect the seam between the glass and the reflector. usually at the top of the light. i had the same problem with my old 84 tbird.

Old 01-17-2006, 10:06 PM
Snake1979
Elder User
Thats a classic Ford problem. I'd say buy a new lens, once that seal breaks, theres no fixing it that I know of.

Old 01-18-2006, 08:31 AM
Streetgang
Elder User
I had the same problem a few times over the years. What I do if it has a plastic lens like the Broncos, is to just drill a small hole in the bottom front of the lens itself....or one in each corner vertically up from the bottom.....this will let the water drain and hopefully let enough air in to dry any moisture......hey it worked for me.

Old 01-18-2006, 06:56 PM
Fishallot
Senior User
Drilling a couple small holes to let the moisture out, now that's a great idea. Why didn't I think of that. With what a new lens costs these days I believe I will try that idea first. Thanks for the tip.

Old 01-18-2006, 11:22 PM
tigerhawk_212
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From my experience, drilling didn't help in removing water. Maybe I should have drilled it differently. Anyhow, I bought some new headlights not too long ago and they look amazing compared to the old yellowed,worn and torn chrome and moisture filled junk pieces i had. About 160 bucks or so including rediculous shipping charges for a pair of new headlights isn't so bad. Its way worth it.

Old 01-19-2006, 08:31 AM
Streetgang
Elder User
Originally Posted by tigerhawk_212
From my experience, drilling didn't help in removing water. Maybe I should have drilled it differently. Anyhow, I bought some new headlights not too long ago and they look amazing compared to the old yellowed,worn and torn chrome and moisture filled junk pieces i had. About 160 bucks or so including rediculous shipping charges for a pair of new headlights isn't so bad. Its way worth it.
I see them go on ebay for like $40 for the pair + s&h......and that was with bulbs!.......I know a friend gave me a pair, and they are still sitting on my shelf//

Old 01-19-2006, 11:10 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
It´s better to replace it the way i see it, if some water enters through the holes you drilled (i know they´re pretty smal, but it´s still a posibility), it might damage the bulb.

Old 01-19-2006, 04:25 PM
Streetgang
Elder User
Originally Posted by Encho
It´s better to replace it the way i see it, if some water enters through the holes you drilled (i know they´re pretty smal, but it´s still a posibility), it might damage the bulb.
I drilled mine like two years ago....about the same time I switched to a set of Sylvania Silver Star headlight bulbs.......no problems yet. If you drill the right size hole and drill it in the correct location you will not have a problem.

I have a brand new set of lenses......the thing is it is such a PIA to remove and replace them, and the fact that since I drilled the hole in each lens the problem has not returned......well lets just say if I thought it was a better idea to replace them it would have been made so.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:44 PM
Fishallot
Senior User
I'm going to drill it, what's the worst that could happen? It doesn't work and I have to buy a new lens, you never know unless you try.

Streetgang.... If yours are still working good I'd like to drill my holes in the same place you did. Where exactly did you drill them? Do you remember what size drill bit you used?

Old 01-19-2006, 09:50 PM
tigerhawk_212
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The lowest ive ever seen on ebay was 60 dollars or so. I got mine off ebay and they were about $68 a piece and included bulbs also. And they also have chrome trim and the headlights were for a 90 bronco.

Last edited by tigerhawk_212; 01-19-2006 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:48 AM
Streetgang
Elder User
Originally Posted by Fishallot
I'm going to drill it, what's the worst that could happen? It doesn't work and I have to buy a new lens, you never know unless you try.

Streetgang.... If yours are still working good I'd like to drill my holes in the same place you did. Where exactly did you drill them? Do you remember what size drill bit you used?
I drilled two holes in each one. I drilled straight up from under the lens in the lower corners.....I would say the bit size I used was like 1.5mm........or I guess even a 1mm would do.....I aint sure what the standard equivalent of that is though......

Old 01-20-2006, 05:58 AM
b4hntn
Posting Guru

I drilled a very small hole from beside the Bronco but angled up. Air currents and gravity pull the moisture out and dust is not a problem.

Old 01-31-2006, 06:48 AM
Fishallot
Senior User
I drilled a hole in each corner of the lens. The water didn't just drain right out though, I had to blow some air in one hole and the water drained out the other. It took a couple days of driving for all the moisture to evaporate. Thanks again for the tip Streetgang, saved me a few bucks.

Old 01-31-2006, 07:18 AM
deebee53
Freshman User
I had a Mustang that accumulated water in the headlight. I drilled three holes in the bottom, front part of the lense. I removed the light, drained all the water out, cleaned it real well, and siliconed anywhere there might have been a crack. After that, I got zero moisture in my headlights even after 2 years. Never had a problem with it blowing bulbs.