Exhaust Brake

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 05:23 PM
ezrider6298
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exhaust Brake

OK, diesel guys, I need a little guidance on exhaust brakes. I have a '99
F-250 CC shortbed 4X4 with the 7.3 diesel and auto trans w/ extra cooling. I tow a 29' fifth wheel that weighs in under 8K dry, and will run around 9K loaded out. Planning a trip in May across the Rockies. I made this trip a couple of years ago, same F-250, but a smaller TT that ran around 5K loaded out, with no problems or anxious moments. Do I even need an exhaust brake with what I am pulling now, and if so, would an electronic type be sufficient? I have heard that these do not work real well with auto trans. I have pulled this unit a couple of times in the North Ga. mountains with no problem, and once across Monteagle in Tennessee with no problems. My concern is the Rockies through Colorado are not necessarily steeper, but longer. Thoughts????

Old 01-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thread moved to 99-2003 7.3L Diesel forum.

-Matt

Old 01-15-2006, 07:48 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ezrider6298
OK, diesel guys, I need a little guidance on exhaust brakes. I have a '99
F-250 CC shortbed 4X4 with the 7.3 diesel and auto trans w/ extra cooling. I tow a 29' fifth wheel that weighs in under 8K dry, and will run around 9K loaded out. Planning a trip in May across the Rockies. I made this trip a couple of years ago, same F-250, but a smaller TT that ran around 5K loaded out, with no problems or anxious moments. Do I even need an exhaust brake with what I am pulling now, and if so, would an electronic type be sufficient? I have heard that these do not work real well with auto trans. I have pulled this unit a couple of times in the North Ga. mountains with no problem, and once across Monteagle in Tennessee with no problems. My concern is the Rockies through Colorado are not necessarily steeper, but longer. Thoughts????
u may want to consider a T/C lock-up override switch...it helps keep the t/c locked for slower speed braking.
Nut

Old 01-15-2006, 08:35 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
If you're comfortable with wiring your own switches and relays up, you can make your own exhaust brake out of the stock Exhaust Back Pressure Valve (EBPV) and wire up your own torque converter lock. You'll need to be able to lock the torque converter for the exhaust brake to work. Then it would work fine on an auto. I just completed wiring mine up last week. I'd give it a 6 out of 10 on the difficulty scale. Some may say lower. It just depends on how comfortable with wiring.

If you wanted to go the plug and play route, I'd check into something like the Banks Trans Command and the exhaust brake. They control the lockup of the torque converter and activation of the exhaust brake pretty muc automatically. There's probably some other companies out there that make similar products, I just don't know of any off hand. You said something about an electronic type of exhaust brake. I'm not sure what you are seeing as differences between what you call electronic and what you'd consider mechanical. I'm pretty sure that they are all electronically operated, mechnical functioning devices.

Either way, I'd recommend one while towing that 5th wheel, especially on some of those mountian passes.

Old 01-15-2006, 08:38 PM
warrens250
Senior User
I've pulled a 13000 lb 5th wheel all around the west up and down pretty steep stuff without an exhaust brake. I use 2nd on the auto for compression down the grades. It would hold speed at about 50, tachometer around 3000, down about a 6% grade without using the brakes at all. Somewhere around the 6% I would begin having to slow down using the service brakes from 55 down to 45 - 50 once in a while, but not enough to overheat the brakes.

I started to put a circuit in which was a combination TC lockup and exhaust brake to improve the compression braking even further. Before I could do it I was told that using such a combination might well result in tranny clutch slippage and could take out the tranny. Without the lockup and exhaust brake the compression braking is limited as I described above. With the lockup and ex. brake I could use compression braking on even steeper hills and heavier loads, where the clutch slippage might occur. Thats the theory. Some vendors take strong exception, and claim that no such tranny damage has been observed. A replacement tranny is, what, $3500? I didn't put in the circuit.

You have a much smaller load to pull. You should have no problem using your truck as is. Use the compression braking without the lockup and exhaust brake, using 2nd if needed. I doubt you will ever have a problem. With your smaller load you might even get away with using the combo circuit without causing clutch slippage. Were I you I'd call Jody Tipton and talk it over with him. I have his chip and 60 hp tow program, but haven't had a chance to test it out yet. Ask him about the clutch slippage and whether his program eliminates that issue. Please report back here; lots of us will be interested.

Warren

Last edited by warrens250; 01-15-2006 at 08:41 PM. Reason: add instant email reply
Old 01-15-2006, 08:40 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jtharvey
If you're comfortable with wiring your own switches and relays up, you can make your own exhaust brake out of the stock Exhaust Back Pressure Valve (EBPV) and wire up your own torque converter lock. You'll need to be able to lock the torque converter for the exhaust brake to work. Then it would work fine on an auto. I just completed wiring mine up last week. I'd give it a 6 out of 10 on the difficulty scale. Some may say lower. It just depends on how comfortable with wiring.

If you wanted to go the plug and play route, I'd check into something like the Banks Trans Command and the exhaust brake. They control the lockup of the torque converter and activation of the exhaust brake pretty muc automatically. There's probably some other companies out there that make similar products, I just don't know of any off hand. You said something about an electronic type of exhaust brake. I'm not sure what you are seeing as differences between what you call electronic and what you'd consider mechanical. I'm pretty sure that they are all electronically operated, mechnical functioning devices.

Either way, I'd recommend one while towing that 5th wheel, especially on some of those mountian passes.

Dang JT...u sure can type good!...and fast! , What mods u run'in?...LOL!!!

Old 01-15-2006, 08:46 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by PSNut
Dang JT...u sure can type good!...and fast! , What mods u run'in?...LOL!!!
My keyboarding (typing class) teacher is high school was a real hard a$$ , but that was prob 10 years ago. Learned a lot there, and had plenty of practice throughout college. Man they make you write a lot of papers in college.

Old 01-15-2006, 08:53 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jtharvey
My keyboarding (typing class) teacher is high school was a real hard a$$ , but that was prob 10 years ago. Learned a lot there, and had plenty of practice throughout college. Man they make you write a lot of papers in college.
u can crank out 3 paragraphs before my one line,plucked, response....LOL!
i gotta practice more!