Do Cables Matter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 08:55 PM
BroncoDave
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do Cables Matter?

I’m a little behind the times, and have some questions about interconnects and speaker wire. I haven’t put a car audio system together in 15 years, and I always struggled with alternator whine or ignition noise in the past. I’m planning to install a 4 ch amp to drive 4 coaxials, and a separate amp to drive a couple 10” subs. I’m trying to keep the expense to a minimum, but I don’t want to save a few $ and then get peeved at the noise every time I turn on the stereo.

My question is, what do I need in terms of interconnects and speaker wire to eliminate RFI/RMI from the system?

I’m looking at Stinger Hyper series interconnects; they are twisted pair, with a braided shield grounded at the HU and have a foil wrap. This seems like it should do the trick. Does anybody have experience with these – or something else that is known to work? Or for that matter, what doesn’t work.

I looked at Stinger speaker wire, but it’s not twisted pair. Does that matter? I don’t want to go over kill just for the sake of doing it. But if I need braided wire or twisted pair to be happy then I’m going to spend the extra $.

Please let me know what your experiences have been with speaker/interconnect cables.

Old 01-09-2006, 01:45 AM
PyroBob
Senior User
Originally Posted by BroncoDave
I looked at Stinger speaker wire, but it’s not twisted pair. Does that matter?
Twister pair means that each alternating strand is wrapped with it's neighbor...this is commonly used in R5 ethernet cables, to reduce noise and avoid network collision.

I honestly do not know how it would help/hurt an audio installation.

In general, though, better wire is better for better sound, but there is a limit, especially on a basic installation.

Make sure you have good grounds, and use wire sized properly for your current draw. Make sure your RCA's are shielded (they all should be). You do get what you pay for with your wiring, but if the rest of the system isn't sloped as high, it won't make a difference.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:23 AM
BroncoDave
Freshman User
I know what twisted pair means, but what does it mean to a run of the mill car audio application? Is it just so much bells and whistles or does it really make a difference I can hear?

Old 01-09-2006, 09:08 AM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
to eliminate 90% of the noise in car audio. install a good set of spark plug wires. this is where most of the noise comes from. now if u want to eliminate smaller whines make sure u install the amp correctly. i will post a link and pay special attention to the instructions on running the wires. you dont need any twisted paired wires. just need to take some time and make sure everything is installed correctly. and remember to use the correct sizes of wires for all amps

read here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=398953

Matt

Old 01-09-2006, 01:58 PM
BroncoDave
Freshman User
Good post on amp installs. That's what I did the last couple times I installed a system with external amp(s). Maybe my problems were just related to older car wiring...

So, does this mean I can use those cheap-arshe grey RCA cables that came with my old teac tape deck in highschool - and everything will be cool? Or do I need to buy modern car audio specific interconnects? If so, how good do they have to be?

Old 01-09-2006, 03:27 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i would at least make sure they are audio rca's as they have the proper shielding

Matt

Old 01-10-2006, 03:55 AM
RomerB2
Postmaster
Another thing to tie along to Matt's post is one of my posts. It goes into the prevention of noise. Here's the link.

You will want shielded RCA cables otherwise you'll get noise from even the fuel pump. The magnetic field in a vehicle is a dirty dirty place. You have wires running everywhere and you can't see all of them and you don't know what's where. It can be a nightmare. But I wouldn't skimp on the RCA's or speaker wires. Personally I would get a nice set of RCA's that you want to run, and some 16 gauge wire for the speakers, unless it's subs then I would go with 12~14awg. Don't be cheap and get those gray wire's you're talking about, and also don't be cheap and connect 3 sets or RCA cables because you already have it.

Old 01-10-2006, 12:11 PM
BroncoDave
Freshman User
The 10 Commandments article is great. That should be a sticky. Thanks for the link.

Couple more questions...

Do you have any idea if these are shielded well enough to knock out the noise?

http://www.cardomain.com/item/STISHR20

As for speaker wire, I'm looking at some 16ga OFC wire, but it's not twisted pair. Does that matter? No one I knew of was twisting speaker wires 15 years ago. Is that a marketing bell/whistle or something I can really hear?

Old 01-10-2006, 07:02 PM
RomerB2
Postmaster
Those would be good interconnect's for your Bronco and they should deffinately be long enough. The twisting speaker wires truthfully won't make a difference that you will notice. The ear has to be tuned to hear it, and it has to deal with phasing of some sort. I haven't really looked into it that much. But some standard 16awg speaker wires should work fine. Good luck.

Old 01-13-2006, 10:54 PM
bill6302
Senior User
unless you have a true audiophile grade system, you will not be able to hear a difference in a set of $10 lightning audio cable to a $500 daxx cable. but just use common sense when running wires. keep power away from signal wires and have good clean grounds and you will be fine.